• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collectors, what do you think the value is to upgrade a Marvel Spotlight 5 CGC 9.0 from an Off-White copy to a White Page one?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

The top book shown below is from my personal collection.  It has not been clean and pressed, and hearing the horror stories about trying to press this book, I intend to leave it as is. 

It is nicely centered but is graded with Off-White Pages.  The second book shown is one I am considering replacing it with.  This book also is nicely centered but contains clean White pages. 

My question for the collecting community is how much more of a premium (in terms of $) do you think there is for the MS 5 White Page book vs the Off-White one? I'm sure opinions will vary, but I would appreciate any feedback before considering upgrading to the White page copy.  Thanks in advance. 

Marvel Spotlight 5.jpg

MS 5 9.0.jpg

The bottom copy not only has the white page designation, but for me it looks better too, especially without the interior pages sticking out along the top part of the right edge.  But I'd also prefer to compare the back covers before making a commitment.

I've done it before, gone sideways with a numerical grade in order to get a copy I thought was significantly nicer looking.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/24/2021 at 9:28 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

There is a good chance that if regraded, your copy would get an off/white-white and the other would get an off/white-white as well.  I wouldn't bother with an upgrade personally, especially just based on page quality.  

This.  Page quality is so all over the board - very unpredictable until a book is cracked out, and I have cracked out hundreds at this point.

There is no guaranty if the book was graded awhile back, either, due to unknown storage conditions.

Finally, you never know what flaws are hidden by the slab itself.

However, if your goal is purely to label chase, have at it.

No premium at all. Off whites with ugly wraps that are weak for their grade sell for the same price as perfect centered white. Just need the right buyer which isn't hard to find. If everything is the same who wouldn't rather have white pages. I wouldn't pay extra for them though. 

On 9/24/2021 at 9:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Considering they are both slabbed and you will never get to see how white they are unless you crack them, I would just keep yours and enjoy the cover.

Seems like a lot of wasted money that could be better spent on another book...(shrug)

Better advice could not be said.👍

On 9/24/2021 at 10:22 AM, namisgr said:

The bottom copy not only has the white page designation, but for me it looks better too, especially without the interior pages sticking out along the top part of the right edge.  But I'd also prefer to compare the back covers before making a commitment.

I've done it before, gone sideways with a numerical grade in order to get a copy I thought was significantly nicer looking.

Agreed, I passed on a book that had black ink lines along the spine of the rear.

On 9/29/2021 at 5:52 AM, Ryan. said:
On 9/25/2021 at 8:35 AM, lizards2 said:

Page quality is so all over the board

Yep. I take CGC's page quality designations as a general advisory rather than scripture. 

One of the big lessons for me is not all CROWs are created equal. I have been pleasantly surprised by some barely OW books that were previously held prisoner in CROW containers.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:18 PM, Thisisrequired said:

No premium at all. Off whites with ugly wraps that are weak for their grade sell for the same price as perfect centered white. Just need the right buyer which isn't hard to find. If everything is the same who wouldn't rather have white pages. I wouldn't pay extra for them though. 

The White Pages copy will  absolutely have a good chance of selling for more than the OW/W copy.  Today more than ever collectors are putting a premium on White Pages. It's hard to put a price on that, and I agree that it just takes the right buyer.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, Cool Ghoul said:

The top book shown below is from my personal collection.  It has not been clean and pressed, and hearing the horror stories about trying to press this book, I intend to leave it as is. 

It is nicely centered but is graded with Off-White Pages.  The second book shown is one I am considering replacing it with.  This book also is nicely centered but contains clean White pages. 

My question for the collecting community is how much more of a premium (in terms of $) do you think there is for the MS 5 White Page book vs the Off-White one? I'm sure opinions will vary, but I would appreciate any feedback before considering upgrading to the White page copy.  Thanks in advance. 

Marvel Spotlight 5.jpg

MS 5 9.0.jpg

Sign it by Roy Thomas and you wont have to worry about white pages and its less trouble plus he makes head sketch now my 2c

Personally ASAP.

I actually have a MS #5 CGC 9.0 w/WP perfectly centered, I would have been okay with OWW.

OW pages on any book from the 70's is an easy pass for me.  Too many copies to settle for a not so great PQ copy in my opinion.

Edited by NewWorldOrder