• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After 30 year sabbitacal, help me w/ a grading strategy. List included
2 2

43 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 9:37 PM, zzutak said:

In my opinion, you've gotten ahead of yourself.  Two suggestions:

1. How confident are you in your assessments of condition grade?  Before you go any further, how about sharing a dozen or so of your books in the Please Grade My (PGM) Forum?  Not all at once, naturally.  Be certain to include low-, mid, and high-grade examples.
  2. Once you have confidence in your ability to estimate condition grades, complete your spreadsheet by adding two additional columns: Column 6 = Current Overstreet Price Guide Value; and Column 7 = Estimated Market Value (based on a review of actual sales).  This is something you can do without our help.

Once you've completed these tasks, you'll be in a much better position to decide how best to raise whatever funds you're looking to raise.  :foryou:

This is about right. I'd go further and suggest that unless you have a collection of CGC-graded books to compare your raw grading ability to, you may be unhappily surprised at how accurate your assessments are. 

I went through the above process with my books, and ended up slabbing things one wouldn't normally expect to, based on realized prices. (and it paid off, but I was very patient)