• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you feel about buying old slabs?
3 3

46 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I love the commitment to a consistent grade, though. It appeals to my OCD.

Yeah, they did look good I must say. 

Putting aside the stop sticker, I liked that second generation label. The first generation looked very staid. The second generation looked more like someone had actually considered making them look attractive in their own right. I don't like the picture labels though - the label shouldn't detract from the comic in my opinion. The ones where the character image is obscured by the hologram are especially irritating. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:33 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I don't like the picture labels though - the label shouldn't detract from the comic in my opinion. The ones where the character image is obscured by the hologram are especially irritating. 

I actively despise the character labels. >:(

I found my (terrible) scan of the DD#1. Filed under '110', obviously :eek:

That first generation blue is so dark, and the squareness of it all is very 'basic' looking isn't it:

110.thumb.jpg.b1f660daa10832e76fad4474fe17f66b.jpg

This one is much better - gentler colouring, less demanding of your attention and with nice curves. That sounded almost erotic, didn't it :x

109.thumb.jpg.294ed13fad0bd93c6d16da1a287776b8.jpg

On 9/28/2021 at 8:40 AM, lostboys said:

So most of these I understand, people are clumsy... but moisture and mold?...warping and rippling?

What in the Sam Hill are those about? I always thought the slab was to protect the book from such damage.

Should books be re-slabbed every so many years like bags and boards?

I used to handle a lot of reholder submissions and it was pretty much a horror show. Although the holder is tough, it can certainly be damaged and doesn't always protect the book when it's subjected to adverse conditions---in some cases, the holder itself can cause additional damage. And IMO, the older holders offered less protection than the new ones.

I personally recommend storing slabbed books in a secure, environmentally friendly location and examining them every so often for any signs of degradation or other problems. This should be an effective long term strategy... (thumbsu

On 9/28/2021 at 2:38 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I actively despise the character labels. >:(

Yes. I find them disrespectful in a way - often, you have unattractive modern art clamouring for your attention over the decent art of the past. Just a money making scheme isn't it - I don't like it when CGC place money over integrity and respect for the medium. Some like them though. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:39 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

This one is much better - gentler colouring, less demanding of your attention and with nice curves. That sounded almost erotic, didn't it :x

It does sound a bit like one of my old girlfriends...

On 9/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, The Lions Den said:

It does sound a bit like one of my old girlfriends...

Slabatha? :)

On 9/28/2021 at 9:41 AM, The Lions Den said:

I used to handle a lot of reholder submissions and it was pretty much a horror show. Although the holder is tough, it can certainly be damaged and doesn't always protect the book when it's subjected to adverse conditions---in some cases, the holder itself can cause additional damage. And IMO, the older holders offered less protection than the new ones.

I personally recommend storing slabbed books in a secure, environmentally friendly location and examining them every so often for any signs of degradation or other problems. This should be an effective long term strategy... (thumbsu

Man, youre setting off my Spidey sense.

I almost wish you'd come right out and say NEVER take the chance spending big bucks on a book in a 15 year old slab...but only if you mean it.

😟

On 9/28/2021 at 10:34 AM, lostboys said:

Man, youre setting off my Spidey sense.

I almost wish you'd come right out and say NEVER take the chance spending big bucks on a book in a 15 year old slab...but only if you mean it.

😟

Let's just say that everything in life has some inherent risk, but the risk can be reduced by following a few simple strategies. I strongly encourage fellow comic enthusiasts to thoroughly inspect their books, and if you're buying slabbed books, inspect the cases as well. With a discerning eye and a bit of due diligence, you can significantly increase your odds of success...  ;)

On 9/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, The Lions Den said:

Let's just say that everything in life has some inherent risk, but the risk can be reduced by following a few simple strategies. I strongly encourage fellow comic enthusiasts to thoroughly inspect their books, and if you're buying slabbed books, inspect the cases as well. With a discerning eye and a bit of due diligence, you can significantly increase your odds of success...  ;)

I hear you. Its tough without holding the slab in your hand though. Then there are sellers who supply just one pic and never reply when you ask for more. Im looking for Marvel Zombies 1 in either 9.6 or 9.8. Ebay only has a few and theyre all in 15 year old slabs.  I posted in the "want to buy" section a few minutes ago so maybe Ill have more luck here.

On 9/28/2021 at 5:40 AM, lostboys said:

So most of these I understand, people are clumsy... but moisture and mold?...warping and rippling?

What in the Sam Hill are those about? I always thought the slab was to protect the book from such damage.

Should books be re-slabbed every so many years like bags and boards?

If the seal on the slab gets cracked or it's just not fully sealed, I can imagine moisture getting in. I have heard of some books losing their "flatness" from pressing after some amount of time. I don't know if it's the type of pressing done, or if it had too much or too little moisture.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, lostboys said:

I hear you. Its tough without holding the slab in your hand though. Then there are sellers who supply just one pic and never reply when you ask for more. Im looking for Marvel Zombies 1 in either 9.6 or 9.8. Ebay only has a few and theyre all in 15 year old slabs.  I posted in the "want to buy" section a few minutes ago so maybe Ill have more luck here.

Most sellers these days understand that the condition of the CGC case is an important factor, but some of them don't consider it to be important at all. I usually just send them an email asking if the case is in good shape; if they're not receptive, I move on...  :whistle:

On 9/28/2021 at 8:38 AM, Buzzetta said:

I have always been of the understanding that it was not that the book was undergraded during that time period but that the book had not been pressed.  So for the most part, books that I have picked up in older labels have demonstrated a bump after a press. 

X-Men 1: 4.5 to a 5.5

Old school PGX Hulk 181 6.5 to a 9.0

Fantastic Four 48: 6.0 to a 5.5 (Can't win them all)

ASM 2: 3.0 to a 5.0

and a few others... 

Awesome!

On 9/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, The Lions Den said:

Hey, I have a raw copy of Marvel Zombies 1 and I'm gonna post it on the "spare a grade?" board. It looks high grade to me but somethings going on by the spine. There seems to be a crease line going down the spine, front and back of the book but it is completely flat and may be a production defect. The inside pages have some of the same type of lines through the pages

Could you please check it out for me if you get a minute? I'd appreciate it big time!

On 9/28/2021 at 7:22 AM, The Lions Den said:

Damage from transport

In my experience, this is the greatest threat to very high grade books that are encapsulated.  The less frequently a book has changed hands and shipped across the country, the more likely it's undamaged in the slab.

For obvious reasons, it's much less of a concern for mid to high grade books and lower.  2c

On 9/30/2021 at 10:20 PM, Randall Dowling said:

In my experience, this is the greatest threat to very high grade books that are encapsulated.  The less frequently a book has changed hands and shipped across the country, the more likely it's undamaged in the slab.

For obvious reasons, it's much less of a concern for mid to high grade books and lower.  2c

Oh God yes...the things I've seen happen...it sends shivers down me back-bone don'tcha know...