• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever buy comics from Schur Success Auctions? Ridiculous shipping prices.

25 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I won a couple cheaper raw books from this auction site for my collection. They charged 15% plus CO tax.  That's fine.   However, I was shocked when I got my shipping quote with included a 1 dollar charge for a box, $6.50 dollar charge for "packaging", and 16 dollars for shipping for a few raws.   I called them to ask if shipping could be cheaper, and they said this was the best they could do... is there anything I can do other than just eat the charge?  Anyone ever deal with this company before?  I won't be buying from them in the future.

https://schursuccess.bidwrangler.com/ui/auctions/68548

Edited by Wolverinex

That's pretty bad. All I could see about shipping is this:

Shipping is handled by our third party shipping partner.
No shipping to California.

Does not give a warm fuzzy. Makes me glad to live in CA.

Edited by PovertyRow

On 9/29/2021 at 12:51 PM, Wolverinex said:

Yesterday, I won a couple cheaper raw books from this auction site for my collection. They charged 15% plus CO tax.  That's fine.   However, I was shocked when I got my shipping quote with included a 1 dollar charge for a box, $6.50 dollar charge for "packaging", and 16 dollars for shipping for a few raws.   I called them to ask if shipping could be cheaper, and they said this was the best they could do... is there anything I can do other than just eat the charge?  Anyone ever deal with this company before?  I won't be buying from them in the future.

https://schursuccess.bidwrangler.com/ui/auctions/68548

can you cancel the order and say never mind?

On 9/29/2021 at 4:59 PM, PovertyRow said:

That's pretty bad. All I could see about shipping is this:

Shipping is handled by our third party shipping partner.
No shipping to California.

Does not give a warm fuzzy. Makes me glad to live in CA.

Yeah,  it's very shady.  I'm going to message them. Just wanted to give a heads up if anyone buys from them in the future.   

Edited by Wolverinex

It's not out of line with what third party shippers charge with auction houses. I buy from several auction houses and all three of them charge a handling fee( $3-$5.95) and two of them charge a dollar per box.  

Some auction houses subsidize shipping and others don't. Whenever you see third party shipping, you need to  be careful. I had one charge me $318 to ship a rather large playset, because they opened the box and individually wrapped each toy soldier and piece of equipment rather than just put the box into a bigger box and ship it. 

Now that you know, just bid accordingly. 

On 9/29/2021 at 6:00 PM, shadroch said:

It's not out of line with what third party shippers charge with auction houses. I buy from several auction houses and all three of them charge a handling fee( $3-$5.95) and two of them charge a dollar per box.  

Some auction houses subsidize shipping and others don't. Whenever you see third party shipping, you need to  be careful. I had one charge me $318 to ship a rather large playset, because they opened the box and individually wrapped each toy soldier and piece of equipment rather than just put the box into a bigger box and ship it. 

Now that you know, just bid accordingly. 

Yeah this is the first time I've ever come across a 3rd party shipper. . It's odd because when I called their direct line, it sounded like they were still the ones shipping it anyway. They just said, this was the cheapest they could do and that was that.   I won't be bidding there again

On 9/29/2021 at 9:09 PM, shadroch said:

Thats your choice, but if the have stuff ou want, just build the shipping into your bids. Do they have a buyers premium as well?

Most aucton house are going to them nd they can add up quickly

Yes 15% plus Colorado tax.  Made my item a ton more expensive then i wanted to pay

Auction houses are rough - you can find some good deals sometimes, but they definitely nickel-and-dime you on everything. Online-only auctions with extra fees if you pay by credit card, buyer's premiums, the shipping. I won a lot from a local-ish (in-state) auction for $9 for about 7 books, and by the time it was said and done, my cost was over $30. I tend to stay away unless I know I'm scoring something big.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Auction houses are rough - you can find some good deals sometimes, but they definitely nickel-and-dime you on everything. Online-only auctions with extra fees if you pay by credit card, buyer's premiums, the shipping. I won a lot from a local-ish (in-state) auction for $9 for about 7 books, and by the time it was said and done, my cost was over $30. I tend to stay away unless I know I'm scoring something big.

Yes,  I would be fine if they were more transparent on the fees. But 15% plus,  their state tax, plus their insane shipping fees with their undisclosed  $6.60 "packing fee" on top of the box fee and actual shipping  fee essentially made my deal a bust. 

On 9/29/2021 at 9:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

The other thing is I wish you could at least give feedback

On 9/29/2021 at 2:08 PM, kav said:

I would tell them your shipping is outrageous pls cancel my order or I will just do a chargeback.  
They can say all sales are final but thats not how the law works.
My dad took someone to small claims once over defective chair.  The guy said "we do not guarantee our items"  the judge said yes you do under the law and my dad got his money back.

Was it the Swedish Ecstasy 5000 hm

Did you happen to check out their Terms and Conditions page? https://www.schursuccessgroup.com/auctions/terms-and-conditions

I find this pretty interested - "Though we will do our best to maintain security of the items, there will be no refunds for stolen or missing items once the Auctioneer announces, “sold”."

And this - " Property not removed within the announced time period will revert to the Seller for resale or disposal, without refund or recourse to the bidder. Property not removed shall be considered abandoned and no refunds shall be issued. The Seller, at his or her discretion, may choose to have unclaimed items removed or disposed of at the expense of the Bidder who failed to collect the items. By participating in this auction, you agree to pay the removal costs of any unclaimed items that you won in the auction."

On 10/1/2021 at 5:32 PM, Crops068 said:

Did you happen to check out their Terms and Conditions page? https://www.schursuccessgroup.com/auctions/terms-and-conditions

I find this pretty interested - "Though we will do our best to maintain security of the items, there will be no refunds for stolen or missing items once the Auctioneer announces, “sold”."

And this - " Property not removed within the announced time period will revert to the Seller for resale or disposal, without refund or recourse to the bidder. Property not removed shall be considered abandoned and no refunds shall be issued. The Seller, at his or her discretion, may choose to have unclaimed items removed or disposed of at the expense of the Bidder who failed to collect the items. By participating in this auction, you agree to pay the removal costs of any unclaimed items that you won in the auction."

Ugh. I noticed that as well after I got hit with the ridiculous shipping. 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:32 PM, Crops068 said:

This is pretty standard with local and smaller auctions. Not saying I like it, but I try to only buy locally to places I'm sure I can drive to by their specified pick up date. 

In my experience, most auction houses will be flexible with pickups within reason, but they don't screw around. 

On 10/1/2021 at 8:06 PM, Wolverinex said:

Ugh. I noticed that as well after I got hit with the ridiculous shipping. 

Yeah that wording is insane.  And while it might be standard, it does not lend itself to a "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

I would def only do local business, if at all, in circumstances like that.