• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Approved Post Now Missing from Chat Boards Questions & Issues???

12 posts in this topic

A couple of days ago I asked why just typing the word  eBay now creates an automatic hyperlink on these boards to ebay.com. Said it irked me (which it does.)

I got a Notification my question had been approved and saw it in the Chat Boards Questions & Issues. Today not only do I not see the question, but the Notification that the question had been approved has been removed from my Notifications list. What gives?

On 9/30/2021 at 5:01 AM, PovertyRow said:

A couple of days ago I asked why just typing the word  eBay now creates an automatic hyperlink on these boards to ebay.com. Said it irked me (which it does.)

I got a Notification my question had been approved and saw it in the Chat Boards Questions & Issues. Today not only do I not see the question, but the Notification that the question had been approved has been removed from my Notifications list. What gives?

That's been in place a long time, the ebay link thing. It's called an 'affiliate link', and I believe it's in place to generate advertising revenue. 

Are you sure your question was in this forum:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/78-chat-boards-questions-issues/

That hasn't required authorisation in the past. The 'Ask CGC' one does though, and they only publish questions which they think will have wider interest. I've had a few deleted in the past.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

In retrospect I think it was Ask CGC. My making the post was preceded by a message that moderator approval would be needed.

Of even more interest to me than the ebay question was my getting notified the question was approved, my actually seeing the question online, then a day later finding it had vanished.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:39 PM, PovertyRow said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

In retrospect I think it was Ask CGC. My making the post was preceded by a message that moderator approval would be needed.

Of even more interest to me than the ebay question was my getting notified the question was approved, my actually seeing the question online, then a day later finding it had vanished.

Same happened to me - approved, there for a spell, gone. Operator error behind the scenes, probably :insane: 

Ask CGC works that way - if the question isn't considered of sufficient interest, they delete it...

Capture.thumb.PNG.9902cfe55ba250e3d8249c6e0aa27e52.PNG

On 9/30/2021 at 4:58 PM, PovertyRow said:

Thanks again. I rarely get involved in the board's inner workings so I may well sound remarkably uninformed for someone who has been here since 2002!

It's best not to, actually, PR. Effin nightmare behind the scenes, it is :eek:

On 9/30/2021 at 2:19 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

That's been in place a long time, the ebay link thing. It's called an 'affiliate link', and I believe it's in place to generate advertising revenue. 

It's also not, I believe, the only revenue generating affiliate link in the board software.  But people keep insisting these boards are a charity by CGC.

On 9/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, Transplant said:

It's also not, I believe, the only revenue generating affiliate link in the board software.  But people keep insisting these boards are a charity by CGC.

Might be, yes. They've got to recoup the costs somehow though, I suppose. The eighty five bazillion signing events haven't quite filled the coffers yet. If they could just get Jesus back to sign something....

On 9/30/2021 at 12:05 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

If they could just get Jesus back to sign something....

That would be kinda self-defeating, though, wouldn't it?

On 9/30/2021 at 12:01 AM, PovertyRow said:

I checked into this.  The question/thread was started into the moderation-frequently asked question section.  Someone approved the post then, an admin hid it saying it never should have been approved.  A reason why wasn't given but, I believe it was because it was posted in the wrong section.  

On 10/3/2021 at 10:15 AM, comicdonna said:

I checked into this.  The question/thread was started into the moderation-frequently asked question section.  Someone approved the post then, an admin hid it saying it never should have been approved.  A reason why wasn't given but, I believe it was because it was posted in the wrong section.  

Thanks CD! If they can take the time to hide it and explain it they should be able to do a quick notification or even move it. Over the past 19 years this place has definitely changed a lot. :|