• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone give the digital Marvel Masterworks a try? I did
1 1

44 posts in this topic

So I decided to take a chance and purchased the Ghost Rider digital version of the Marvel Masterworks.  I look at it on the Kindle app on an iPad (did it on a Mac too but iPad is much better).  So far, I like it.  Takes up a lot less room than a hard copy and some of the digital versions are drastically cheaper than a hard copy.  Picture attached so you can see what it looks like 

6D4830AB-D354-4C61-9235-76FE322CD9D1.png

Edited by batman_fan

On 10/1/2021 at 11:17 AM, batman_fan said:

So I decided to take a chance and purchased the Ghost Rider digital version of the Marvel Masterworks.  I look at it on the Kindle app on an iPad (did it on a Mac too but iPad is much better).  So far, I like it.  Takes up a lot less room than a hard copy and some of the digital versions are drastically cheaper than a hard copy.  Picture attached so you can see what it looks like 

6D4830AB-D354-4C61-9235-76FE322CD9D1.png

Oh yeah,  I've converted to tablet reading.  I use a 12 inch s7+ tab and the Oled screen is phenomenal and it barely weighs anything. 

I'll tag a photo next time I read

I’ve picked up quite a few digital Masterworks and DC collected editions, especially in the Comixology sales, some for as little as 69p.  Allows you to try out material from Masterwork books that would otherwise prohibitively cost you $65 - $75 (or UK equivalent) as physical copies.  Also, lots of Image and Fantagraphics material from them, £3 trade collections that would go for £10+ as physical copies at the LCS.

Also, don’t forget there’s lots of cheap, high quality reading material made available by Humble Bundle as well.

I’ve been using an iPad Pro for about 4 years now.  Just fantastic, a great way to read comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Last Christmas, Amazon had a (fantastic) deal where (almost) all titles were $1 to $2 each. I completed the library on my IPAD Pro.The downside is there was not enough room to store all of them -- they do fill up the device. So, it took a while to figure out how to delete them, and start over. I'm already a big fan of masterworks, so having the digital files on IPAD was a great complement. You can also blow up and step through panels to look at the art in greater detail.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 10/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, bronze_rules said:

You can also blow up and step through panels to look at the art in greater detail.

It’s the ideal size to do that. Also, if the OP’s Ghost Rider page seems too bright and garish to some, then the image settings are adjustable for comfort.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I use Marvel Unlimited.  For $70 a year, I have access to the majority of the Marvel Library.  I have already read Fantastic  Four 1 - 250.  I use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ and the books look fantastic.  For DCs, I use DC Universe Infinite.  It was fun reading many early Flash issues.  

On 10/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, batman_fan said:

I will say, getting the Ghost Rider masterworks made me remember how bad some of Ploog’s work was :sick:

That era had a lot of bad art.   If the artists didn't blow the deadline, forcing a reprint, it was handed in at the last second and there was no time for touchups. 

On 10/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, jeffreyk said:

How much do digital Masterworks cost?

They range from somewhere between $9.99 to $16.99 each on amazon. But deals can be had all year around if you are patient.

Some of the physical copies are in the stratosphere now. So it's a great deal.

Edited by bronze_rules

It is a good deal.  I just can't justify buying each Masterwork due to Marvel Unlimited as all the books are on there.  I sold my Hardcover Masterworks after I joined Marvel Umlimited about 5 years ago.  

On 10/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, bronze_rules said:

They range from somewhere between $9.99 to $16.99 each on amazon. But deals can be had all year around if you are patient.

Some of the physical copies are in the stratosphere now. So it's a great deal.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:13 PM, jeffreyk said:

It is a good deal.  I just can't justify buying each Masterwork due to Marvel Unlimited as all the books are on there.  I sold my Hardcover Masterworks after I joined Marvel Umlimited about 5 years ago.  

Like I mentioned earlier. Hold off until the $1 to $2 deal comes around again. It's affordable at that point. Same cost as one high priced physical copy.

I've tried Unlimited a few times, I wish they had more obscure stuff. But, I don't like the idea of having to resubscribe all the time.

I have my list of stuff I plan to buy digitally, mostly the offbeat stuff that you can’t find a physical copy of for a “reasonable” price but rather than do what I normally do and buy a bunch and then never read, I plan to buy one, read it, then get the next one.  I think the next one will be either Brother VooDoo or Dracula.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:21 PM, batman_fan said:

have my list of stuff I plan to buy digitally, mostly the offbeat stuff that you can’t find a physical copy of for a “reasonable” price

That’s a very sensible plan of attack.