• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Board Error Messages and Outages
5 5

101 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 1:52 PM, dena said:

The board update is set to happen tomorrow morning at 8am ET. 

After updating the NGC and PMG boards we found there was an issue with the remember me function. Users had to log out and clear their cookies and cache to successfully get back into the boards. There will be a brief outage later today to hopefully address that issue. We look forward to getting through the update tomorrow and handle any issues immediately.

That's awesome and good news!

Is there an estimate on how long the update will take? either way thank you for the update message! :banana: 

On 10/19/2021 at 2:52 PM, dena said:

The board update is set to happen tomorrow morning at 8am ET. 

After updating the NGC and PMG boards we found there was an issue with the remember me function. Users had to log out and clear their cookies and cache to successfully get back into the boards. There will be a brief outage later today to hopefully address that issue. We look forward to getting through the update tomorrow and handle any issues immediately.

:applause:

Been trying to access  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/ all day but now the only way I get in is https://boards.cgccomics.com/:censored: Is this expected? The old URL is giving me:

Error 502

Ray ID: 6a172c3abc0d1809 • 2021-10-21 02:49:27 UTC

Bad gateway

On 10/20/2021 at 9:49 PM, universal soldier said:

Been trying to access  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/ all day but now the only way I get in is https://boards.cgccomics.com/:censored: Is this expected? The old URL is giving me:

Error 502

Ray ID: 6a172c3abc0d1809 • 2021-10-21 02:49:27 UTC

Bad gateway

They did an update this morning and changed the URL from cgccomics.com/board

And the new one starts -  boards.cgccomics.com.

All of the previous URL through browser tabs or bookmarks will only draw the 502 as they are no longer valid. 

This was supposed to fix the 500 errors and the login issues. 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:54 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They did an update this morning and changed the URL from cgccomics.com/board

And the new one starts -  boards.cgccomics.com.

All of the previous URL through browser tabs or bookmarks will only draw the 502 as they are no longer valid. 

This was supposed to fix the 500 errors and the login issues. 

Hmmm, didn't see that announced anywhere but maybe I was drinking heavily. Thanks!

On 10/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, universal soldier said:

Hmmm, didn't see that announced anywhere but maybe I was drinking heavily. Thanks!

n comics general pinned to the top of the page

I

We find out through trial and error of log in that the url changed in the thread is why I posted it.

The url change itself wasnt part of the announcement 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/21/2021 at 4:25 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

We find out through trial and error of log in that the url changed in the thread is why I posted it.

Spot on Mark. After a few unsuccessful attempts at accessing the forum via my browser's bookmark, I tried the main CGC site and found that was working. I then clicked on the forum link from there and found that was working. Whenever things go wrong, you just try all the usual tricks and sooner or later you're back in.

It's a shame that a great many people probably assumed the error message meant that the upgrade was still running, or was problematic. The site has been down for 48 hours before, so it would be reasonable to make that assumption.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:25 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The url change itself wasnt part of the announcement 

Invision lead the change I believe, so maybe our admin guys didn't know that was what would be happening. Most members didn't read Dena's announcement thread anyway, so most wouldn't have even known the update was due. It probably wasn't a good idea to sticky it to the top of CG as many members don't visit that forum and even those that do would likely have missed it, as they are used to skimming past the largely redundant, now familiar stickies at the top.

Maybe the announcement section would have been a better location, as that is visible from the main page, or even a moving banner message which is possible here (Scott did it when the journals migrated). Everyone saw that.

Anyway, everyone will find their way back eventually, in various states of indignancy, and then it will just be a case of whether the upgrade worked, and the 500 errors have been banished :wishluck:

On 10/21/2021 at 2:22 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Spot on Mark. After a few unsuccessful attempts at accessing the forum via my browser's bookmark, I tried the main CGC site and found that was working. I then clicked on the forum link from there and found that was working. Whenever things go wrong, you just try all the usual tricks and sooner or later you're back in.

It's a shame that a great many people probably assumed the error message meant that the upgrade was still running, or was problematic. The site has been down for 48 hours before, so it would be reasonable to make that assumption.

Invision lead the change I believe, so maybe our admin guys didn't know that was what would be happening. Most members didn't read Dena's announcement thread anyway, so most wouldn't have even known the update was due. It probably wasn't a good idea to sticky it to the top of CG as many members don't visit that forum and even those that do would likely have missed it, as they are used to skimming past the largely redundant, now familiar stickies at the top.

Maybe the announcement section would have been a better location, as that is visible from the main page, or even a moving banner message which is possible here (Scott did it when the journals migrated). Everyone saw that.

Anyway, everyone will find their way back eventually, in various states of indignancy, and then it will just be a case of whether the upgrade worked, and the 500 errors have been banished :wishluck:

I would suspect that those, like me, who had the boards bookmarked and went to the old address and saw that there was a 502 error, most will chalk it up to "the boards are down again"

Out of pure curiosity I went to the main cgc page and tried the "chat boards" link. 

@denaI think there should be a redirect to the new URL from the old one so members have a chance to change their bookmarks.  Otherwise they'll just get a 502 error.

I've had two 3-5 minute spells of buffering today.

Two tabs open awaiting CGC, nothing coming through. All other websites working fine, so not my computer.

5raz0f.gif.e6e1e624fc4a4238384afba30b0eec72.gif

It's early days though.

Anyone else getting that?

It appears they have changed URLs for the forums?

It used to be like:
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/61-goldensilverbronze-age-only/

As of this morning I noticed that the URLs are now like this (not sure when the change was made):
https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/61-goldensilverbronze-age-only/

I would suggest using the boards.cgccomics.com as I have not had a single 502 error / login issue since using the "new" URLS. YMMV 

On 10/21/2021 at 12:24 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I've had two 3-5 minute spells of buffering today.

Two tabs open awaiting CGC, nothing coming through. All other websites working fine, so not my computer.

5raz0f.gif.e6e1e624fc4a4238384afba30b0eec72.gif

It's early days though.

Anyone else getting that?

I typed and submitted a post, nothing happened and it cleared what I wrote.

That happened 3 times, then it saved what I wrote, then submitted it one last time and it worked.....

On 10/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, 707comics said:

It appears they have changed URLs for the forums?

It used to be like:
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/61-goldensilverbronze-age-only/

As of this morning I noticed that the URLs are now like this (not sure when the change was made):
https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/61-goldensilverbronze-age-only/

I would suggest using the boards.cgccomics.com as I have not had a single 502 error / login issue since using the "new" URLS. YMMV 

yes welcome to the party lol:foryou::tink: 

On 10/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I typed and submitted a post, nothing happened and it cleared what I wrote.

Drat. Did we miss anything profound Mark?

On 10/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That happened 3 times, then it saved what I wrote, then submitted it one last time and it worked.....

Oh, sh:censored:t it worked in the end then.

Sorry, I meant, phew, that's great Mark. 

Spoiler

:foryou:

On 10/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, 707comics said:

Late as usual .... and I even woke up early today! :)

lol as I said in another thread, you're probably just happy it finally worked!

Still we need to get word of mouth going off the boards, or any friends to tell them, trying to read the forums not logged in is a slog. 

Than is if you don't get 502 errors :tonofbricks: