• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why the lack of info on CGC slabs?

18 posts in this topic

I just got a box of 25 slabs back. Modern. The comics that are a ratio variant or exclusive are noted as such. There are a bunch of these comics that have first appearances and none of them are noted at all. I didn’t think that was something I needed to note when submitting. It’s odd because there are other things noted in the top right like artist but I would think if there is a first appearance, that would have also be in the upper right. Sucks because this box was sent out in April and I have a few other boxes there that are scheduled to be graded that will also come back without first appearance notation. 

Edited by Calm-Mix

they don't care what you write on the submission forms, the graders determine what goes on the label. I recently got back some similar moderns, 1st Baz as GL and such, but nothing on the label. It takes time for the things to become actually important and not just potentially important so earlier slabs sometimes miss info. The cannot notate every 1st appearance because who knows who is important and who is never coming back until some time settles in.

But yes, I feel your pain.

I get that the comics that are new can get missed but these were some from the 90’ like ghost rider #28, the first midnight sons.. for example. I’ll write it in the notes for now on I guess.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:56 AM, Calm-Mix said:

I get that the comics that are new can get missed but these were some from the 90’ like ghost rider #28, the first midnight sons.. for example. I’ll write it in the notes for now on I guess.

to play devil's advocate...why would first midnight sons bear noting? It wasn't really a thing that anyone talked about for all these years. So 1st Midnight Sons MIGHT be relevant at some time in the future if that name gains more traction but it is still more of a "could get hot" thing now isn't it? Most of us would only be guessing who is even in the Midnight Sons.

And my Baz as GL example is about a decade old too! 

But my understanding according to ask cgc responses here is they don't care what you write in the notes. Doesn't hurt but do not expect it to result in a label notation.

Agree on many points in this thread. Not all first appearances or other events merit being called out. Every comic could be argued for something. I like that it's limited to just a few things noted as there is limited real estate on the label. But there is a chance for CGC to make updates down the road. I like uniformity and have resubmitted a few of my keys that I plan to keep for the long run for label updates so they all look the same on the shelf. 

On 10/10/2021 at 10:06 AM, Bird said:

to play devil's advocate...why would first midnight sons bear noting? It wasn't really a thing that anyone talked about for all these years. So 1st Midnight Sons MIGHT be relevant at some time in the future if that name gains more traction but it is still more of a "could get hot" thing now isn't it? Most of us would only be guessing who is even in the Midnight Sons.

And my Baz as GL example is about a decade old too! 

But my understanding according to ask cgc responses here is they don't care what you write in the notes. Doesn't hurt but do not expect it to result in a label notation.

I hear ya... I just thought with it being 20 years old, a first appearance should be in the label database. If there is notation  of who wrote the story and who did cover art in the database, how hard is it to have first appearances noted. I know they cant base anything off of movie rumors, i get that, but a first appearance is a first regardless of how insignificant someone might think it is.. The weird thing about this comic is that I took them ( I submitted 2 of them ) out of the poly bag so I could give them a press. The label made a note of them being removed from the poly bag. Almost seems like a strike against the comic... No? I called to ask beforehand if I should send it in with the bag and poster and they said no because they might not get sent back.  Ive got polly bagged comics graded before and they were not noted as "Poly Bag Removed".

IMG_0288.jpeg

#1 Midnight Sons fan right here!!

Collected 'em all as a kid. Spent my entire allowance and then some. Still love 'em. 

Ahem.

I have a similar problem to the original post. I'm about to have this one sent in for a reholder because one side of the slab is opening up.

Astonishing #51 from 1956 has a Bill Everett cover (not noted on the slab) and also contains an X-Men prototype (also not noted)--- a young man suddenly develops strange powers and doctors say that he has become "a mutant" (first time that this term is used in a Marvel comic, albeit Atlas at the time). Namor may be known as "the first mutant" but that detail is a retcon added later on.

How serious or notable does it have to get before CGC decides to call it out? I've seen much, much less significant details called out on other headers. I'd love to see relevant info added to this one.

ASTONISHING.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, Calm-Mix said:

The label made a note of them being removed from the poly bag. Almost seems like a strike against the comic... No?

No.

It's just a notation that the book was originally sold poly-bagged.

On 10/14/2021 at 4:05 PM, Calm-Mix said:

Ive got polly bagged comics graded before and they were not noted as "Poly Bag Removed".

Pics or it didn't happen...

Another one with sadly missing info.... Tales of the TMNT #4 ... the first appearance of the Rat King is not significant enough to note. I understand that now I'm diving into Copper Age indie books and parody characters, but still... character has decades of cartoon and toy credibility.

20210921_232034.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 6:26 PM, 1031Books said:

Another one with sadly missing info.... Tales of the TMNT #4 ... the first appearance of the Rat King is not significant enough to note. I understand that now I'm diving into Copper Age indie books and parody characters, but still... character has decades of cartoon and toy credibility.

20210921_232034.jpg

Dude, the first appearsnce of King Shark isnt even on CGC slabs.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:12 PM, 1031Books said:

#1 Midnight Sons fan right here!!

Collected 'em all as a kid. Spent my entire allowance and then some. Still love 'em. 

Ahem.

I have a similar problem to the original post. I'm about to have this one sent in for a reholder because one side of the slab is opening up.

Astonishing #51 from 1956 has a Bill Everett cover (not noted on the slab) and also contains an X-Men prototype (also not noted)--- a young man suddenly develops strange powers and doctors say that he has become "a mutant" (first time that this term is used in a Marvel comic, albeit Atlas at the time). Namor may be known as "the first mutant" but that detail is a retcon added later on.

How serious or notable does it have to get before CGC decides to call it out? I've seen much, much less significant details called out on other headers. I'd love to see relevant info added to this one.

ASTONISHING.jpg

Nice slab! You have one of only 4 ever graded.