• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Red Labels

4 posts in this topic

Hello. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right area, but I have a question. I have a ASM #300 signed by Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane. CGC gave it a “red” signature label. I have been told that these labels may raise the value of the book. Is this true? Thanks.

581AA9F6-9C6D-46D0-9015-A94977CCE23A.jpeg

There were 2 limited labels. The one that is red was designed for Stan Lee Collectables website and it embellished in art and color, the non red being the regular version.

They were both "limited" for a time, in other words only available for about a year. That's not to say one is guaranteed any value, limited or not, nor even the red or non red.

It was the label that was last before Stan's passing and with his Signature it looks nice.

That said, certain aesthetics will appeal to different people. Knowing that info seems to have been lost to time. Usually aesthetics will command a premium to certain people who like the details. Nothing is guaranteed to rise. Is it unique? yes. Will someone in that market pay top dollar? probably.

yet rise on it's own? because it has the label? probably not.

My venture at a guess, is that it would get top dollar for "its market" :foryou: 

As in CGC 9.4 non newsstand Signature Series, anything above that is too unknown

The fact that another Stan label has not come about may help it though :tink: 

On 10/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, Odda said:

Hello. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right area, but I have a question. I have a ASM #300 signed by Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane. CGC gave it a “red” signature label. I have been told that these labels may raise the value of the book. Is this true? Thanks.

581AA9F6-9C6D-46D0-9015-A94977CCE23A.jpeg

all of this is only my opinion and best guess

On 10/16/2021 at 11:07 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

There were 2 limited labels. The one that is red was designed for Stan Lee Collectables website and it embellished in art and color, the non red being the regular version.

They were both "limited" for a time, in other words only available for about a year. That's not to say one is guaranteed any value, limited or not, nor even the red or non red.

It was the label that was last before Stan's passing and with his Signature it looks nice.

That said, certain aesthetics will appeal to different people. Knowing that info seems to have been lost to time. Usually aesthetics will command a premium to certain people who like the details. Nothing is guaranteed to rise. Is it unique? yes. Will someone in that market pay top dollar? probably.

My venture at a guess, is that it would get top dollar for "its market" :foryou: 

As in CGC 9.4 non newsstand Signature Series, anything above that is too unknown

Thank you so much for the information. I have heard som many things figured I would ask the group.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, Odda said:
On 10/16/2021 at 10:07 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Expand  

Thank you so much for the information. I have heard som many things figured I would ask the group.

This all sounds about right.  It probably originally cost somewhere around $5-$20 more to get the label at the time or something like that.  I would expect the label to be able get you around that much more now in the right circumstance.  Of course as stated, the associated premium or collectability may increase over time, but just like anything else, it's hard to know.  So if the book is like $2000 otherwise (guesstimate), even at a generous $20 more value, that's like 1% more, which is essentially shipping, or a part of the credit card/paypal fees.

I think most people here would tell you the factors around the actual comic are more important to the price:

1.  Aesthetics of the actual comic - centering, wrap, what the actual defects are.

2.  Aesthetics of the signatures - placement, neatness, color 

3.  Aesthetics of the slab - newton rings, centering, other scuffs or marks, possibly newness of slab