• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is advice on purchases frowned upon?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

generally if you ask if it is a good deal and the answer is yes, you will get an answer in the thread about the same time someone else says "hey that's a great deal, I'll now hit that BIN and...mine!"

On 10/16/2021 at 6:46 PM, bayesian_acolyte said:

Comparing the price to recent graded sales on GPAnalysis, this needs to be at least a 9.4 to be worth the purchase from a purely financial perspective.

In the pictures I see 4 minor spine tics, some writing on the front, some corner wear, some minor edge wear, some discoloration on the lower left back (maybe a print defect?), and some bends on the back (likely could be removed with pressing). Overall I'd say it's clearly below a 9.4, so my advice would be to not buy.

I feel I should include a disclaimer that I'm a noob and this is literally my first time ever giving any type of advice on a comic.

Sounds right on!  (thumbsu

I don't believe it's frowned upon but two things I'd say about asking for advice on a purchase: 

1) If you've found a "deal" posting the listing asking for advice alerts d-bags that will buy that book out from under you in a heartbeat. 

2) It's too subjective to get solid advice. I wouldn't pay a dime for "Whatever Title", but others think it's worth $xxx.xx...

So I suppose be very specific in what exactly it is you're asking, and try to hide the listing info. For example, yank the pics and post them in the spare a grade forum if you're looking for whether or not the stated grade seems accurate.

Edited by Fisionbomb
Typo

All good points everyone.  Thank you!

At the moment I'm in the whirlwind phase of a new interest for me, and I'd like to buy Nova 1-5 to fill in my collection.  I'm not looking to make money on the deal, and my biggest thought is that prices are on the move so if I try to be patient right now that might actually backfire.  Any thoughts?

On 10/17/2021 at 1:33 AM, Joe Peck said:

At the moment I'm in the whirlwind phase of a new interest for me, and I'd like to buy Nova 1-5 to fill in my collection.  I'm not looking to make money on the deal, and my biggest thought is that prices are on the move so if I try to be patient right now that might actually backfire.  Any thoughts?

While I would say that Nova will no doubt start moving in price at some point I think it’s a while before it happens with this copy I’d buy it if only I was sure this is the copy I want what is your personal choice 

Another option is to see if you can pick up what you want here on the boards.Place an add in the "Want To Buy" section of the market place.whilst I mayself have not done this,I will say with confidence these are the best seller on the web.I have bought a ton of books here and have had nary a problem.A minor hiccup but overall completely happy and will continue to buy here.

It's a great question and I've wondered the same so appreciate you asking it!

I will say - and I have no interest in a Nova #1 so you're safe there :) - that based on the pics that are uploaded to that listing I think 9.0 is what I'd PGM it at.  That said someone else mentioned writing on the cover which I did NOT see and that would have a negative impact.

On 10/16/2021 at 6:33 PM, Joe Peck said:

It's nice that you're excited and in the honeymoon phase of this hobby.  But it's easy to make mistakes as many of us have when we first discovered the hobby and many of us have learned hard lessons.

Buy what you want but I'd suggest you buy the nicest graded copy of Nova 1 you can afford  You'll know exactly what you're getting and it will be the cornerstone of your new collection.  A CGC 9.4 should cost you $350 to $400 and that's only about $100 more than the raw copy you're looking at.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:13 PM, thehumantorch said:

It's nice that you're excited and in the honeymoon phase of this hobby.  But it's easy to make mistakes as many of us have when we first discovered the hobby and many of us have learned hard lessons.

Buy what you want but I'd suggest you buy the nicest graded copy of Nova 1 you can afford  You'll know exactly what you're getting and it will be the cornerstone of your new collection.  A CGC 9.4 should cost you $350 to $400 and that's only about $100 more than the raw copy you're looking at.

Yeah, don't want anyones head to explode, because if you read all my posts which are a net of 3 days one will learn that I am genuinely crazy when it comes to my hobbies. However, now I'm thinking of taking that comic and this one as an "investment": https://www.ebay.com/itm/304186978908?hash=item46d2f4f25c:g:8DAAAOSwG9Jg2VCL

Edited by Joe Peck

On 10/16/2021 at 10:32 PM, Joe Peck said:

However, now I'm thinking of taking that comic and this one as an "investment": https://www.ebay.com/itm/304186978908?hash=item46d2f4f25c:g:8DAAAOSwG9Jg2VCL

You'd be setting a new GPA high for that book.
1.jpg.9730342ad261d01b3fbeb33388b19b2a.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.f1c9cab595f7bff65393cb01c1f25431.jpg

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

On 10/16/2021 at 5:48 PM, candygramformongo said:

That said someone else mentioned writing on the cover which I did NOT see and that would have a negative impact.

That was me and I now realize I was wrong. I thought the "B/S" written in the bottom left was added on, but looking at pictures of other copies it's clear it's part of the art, probably standing for cover artists Rich Buckler and Joe Sinnott.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:42 PM, thehumantorch said:
On 10/16/2021 at 10:40 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

You'd be setting a new GPA high for that book.

1.thumb.jpg.f1c9cab595f7bff65393cb01c1f25431.jpg

Expand  

Actually there's a number of recent sales over $2k and one at $2460.

We both have valid points. 

On 10/16/2021 at 11:08 PM, Readcomix said:

If you’re spec’ing on Nova, don’t stop at 5. #6 is the first appearance of his big villain, the Sphinx. 

I have 4-11 and 16-22 but they're all VF to VF/NM.  Maybe #21 is a 9.4 or 9.6.

Edited by Joe Peck