• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing Question
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I know coverless comics are bought, especially key issues (I have sold my share of these). But usually the key aspect of the issue is the issue (1st appearances, story, artist, etc). But what about when the key is the cover? To wit: Mask Comics 1. I have the complete interior of the book, not a stitch or sliver of the cover.  What kind of value would that have?

Thanks for any thoughts!

On 10/16/2021 at 6:12 PM, Qua-Brot said:

I know coverless comics are bought, especially key issues (I have sold my share of these). But usually the key aspect of the issue is the issue (1st appearances, story, artist, etc). But what about when the key is the cover? To wit: Mask Comics 1. I have the complete interior of the book, not a stitch or sliver of the cover.  What kind of value would that have?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mask #1 is unscanned at the Digital Comic Museum and Comic Book Plus, so somebody might want it for a scanning project.  There also might be a demand for it for parts if somebody had an incomplete copy with a cover.  But overall, I would guess it would probably be worth about 1% or less than a high grade copy with the cover, possibly much less.  (I'm not positive what the book is currently trading for with the cover.)  Very much one of those items you would need to look for the right buyer on.  With that said, I would guess it at being a 3-figure book; but for the life of me I don't know if it would be closer to $100 or $999.  With the promise collection copy hitting 6 figures as an 8.5, it might be closer to the higher end of that... but I wouldn't pay more than $100 just to get a copy of the book to scan & share online.  As you say, the contents are not high demand beyond the cover.

Running an auction isn't a bad idea. To your point its a major key that people want for the cover.

I imagine you'll get fair a price for it. Allot of people are out there hunting for parts and all you need is for two people with a cover to see your auction. 

I remember a similar discussion around Suspense 3. A boardie found a coverless copy and was wondering about value. And the thing is,  some of these books have gotten so pricey that alot of people would be happy just to own one.  

Edited by KCOComics

I recently sold a TEC 73 coverless for about 70% FMV of a 0.5. The first wrap is pretty impressive itself so that may have helped, but the draw of the book is the first and only GA Scarecrow cover. 

Also, a Mystery Men Comics 7 (first Blue Beetle cover and fairly rare) slabbed coverless and missing first wrap has been sitting on eBay for a while but it’s hard to know the FMV of a 0.5 when none exists. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mystery-Men-Comics-7-CGC-NG-Coverless-Incomplete-1488612001-/363411155523?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0