• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What happens if I die before my books are graded?
3 3

42 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 1:06 PM, blazingbob said:

We chop  them up,  burn them and spread your comic ashes across the nearest body of water

If someone collects mostly sci-fi titles, can they have their comic ashes sent into space instead?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't imagine most people would even have something set up to notify CGC upon their death. And, at least currently, their capacity to cancel orders is minimal anyway. The overwhelmingly likely outcome is that, eventually, the graded books will be sent to the deceased collector's address, just as if they were still alive. I suppose if you have particularly valuable stuff in queue, it's not a terrible idea to keep a note of that with your collection, so that -- if it becomes necessary -- whoever ends up taking stock will be aware that there are still inbound assets.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:20 PM, seanfingh said:

They will get shipped back to your address and your heirs can squabble over them like everything else.

Well, yes but maybe...no?

Since CGC does not charge your credit card right away...lets say I die and my credit cards are shut down before CGC gets around to charging for the services.

In this situation there will be no one for CGC to contact and no credit card to charge so the books will never be shipped out.

Does CGC have employee raffles for these books?

On 10/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, lostboys said:

Since CGC does not charge your credit card right away...lets say I die and my credit cards are shut down before CGC gets around to charging for the services.

In this situation there will be no one for CGC to contact and no credit card to charge so the books will never be shipped out.

They could file a claim for payment in your estate.

But in all seriousness, this is going to happen at some point if it already hasn't.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:28 AM, lostboys said:

I take it none of your heirs are into comic books? Put Heritage Auctions as the secondary receiver, they can go immediately to auction on your behalf.

You are awarded all BLODS if you expire while waiting for grading.

All books are given a custom black label which has an artistic motif. There is a choice of The Addams Family or The Munsters, and all books are awarded a Gem Mint 10.0 as a unique 'gift grade'.

Unfortunately this will matter little to you, as you have taken the easy way out. :facepalm:

I’ll will them to my wife, who will then sell them for massively inflated prices in order to pay for my cremation.  Then I want her to submit my ashes for grading…

On 10/19/2021 at 4:43 PM, G G © ® ™ said:

You are awarded all BLODS if you expire while waiting for grading.

All books are given a custom black label which has an artistic motif. There is a choice of The Addams Family or The Munsters, and all books are awarded a Gem Mint 10.0 as a unique 'gift grade'.

Unfortunately this will matter little to you, as you have taken the easy way out. :facepalm:

Thats what-