• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a CGC book in the mail and the case is cracked open, is there anything I can do?

14 posts in this topic

I received a comic in the mail and most of the left side seal and part of the bottom left is completely open. I can open it enough that I can see the comic and sleeve inside. THe inner sleeve also appears to be unsealed. Is this just basically a raw book or would CGC be able to seal it up again?

Is this a comic you sent to CGC?  If so, then they will re-holder for free. You will need to contact customer service and they will even pay for return shipping.  However, if this is a book you bought from someone (say through eBay) you should immediately contact the seller and ask for a refund.  You don't know if the book was slipped out or replaced or if any damage occurred since the grading, because whatever cracked that case could have been a violent drop (or it could have been sealed improperly, which is less likely but possible).  By no means should you accept the broken slab if it was not clearly stated a part of the transaction.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, oakenfelder said:

I received a comic in the mail and most of the left side seal and part of the bottom left is completely open. I can open it enough that I can see the comic and sleeve inside. THe inner sleeve also appears to be unsealed. Is this just basically a raw book or would CGC be able to seal it up again?

This sounds like someone pulled something if the inner sleeve appears open as well.  I doubt CGC would just accept the grade and reholder if the book can be removed and replaced in the current cracked slab.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:03 PM, oakenfelder said:

No, you'd have to pay for a reholder. But you said it "appears" and if you are not certain then maybe it's normal since in 2007, CGC cases were made that way with one side not sealed.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Are the corner posts intact?

The one I can see appears to be

On 10/21/2021 at 8:26 PM, William-James88 said:

No, you'd have to pay for a reholder. But you said it "appears" and if you are not certain then maybe it's normal since in 2007, CGC cases were made that way with one side not sealed.

I did not know that.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:07 PM, oakenfelder said:

The one I can see appears to be

I did not know that.

Then odds are, nothing's been tampered and everything is as intended. if you don't like old cases, just send it in for a reholder.

Honestly, we get a lot of questions like these, with people thinking there's a problem, but it's usually a false alarm. 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:37 AM, Zed Zed said:

Did you mean clearly broken? Or do you mean the post is still there even though it's popped?

Yeah, the post is there. I didn't know if that made a difference as far as resubmitting it to CGC. But, I've been looking at the comic and I think that whatever caused it to pop, caused the comic to shift in its cover. It looks like it can shift a small amount up or down inside the sleeve, inside the cover. The seller refunded me and instead of paying to send me a return label told me to keep it.