Help and advice on a restored ASM #1?
0

41 posts in this topic

Hello I was hoping I might be able to get some advice from experienced collectors and sellers

I am trying to calculate the current value of some of my key issues,  it's been about five years since I've really went through and figured out how much they are worth and how much they've gone up in price.

And I have an Amazing Spider-Man #1 that is restored, I fully admit I'm not very smart when it comes to how to grade comics that are restored or their value, I have looked on eBay and a few other sites but I haven't really found any restored Amazing Spider-Man #1's  that are similar to mine. There is a restored .5 CGC ASM #1 on eBay right now listed for $7000 but it's in drastically worse shape than mine so I don't think it's a very good example and doesn't tell me much

 

So what I'm hoping for is, could you guys look at these pictures of my comic and give me your opinions on the grade of this comic and also could you please give me an estimated value of this comic,  for example if you had this comic and we're going to sell it online or on eBay RAW what would you price it for.

 

Thank you so much for anybody who responds and helps

 

 

 

20211022_145947.jpg

20211022_150001.jpg

20211022_150011.jpg

20211022_150034.jpg

20211022_150052.jpg

20211022_150103.jpg

20211022_150108.jpg

20211022_150114.jpg

20211022_150131.jpg

20211022_150142.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, Robot Chicken said:

Please tell us more about what you already know about the restoration.

Yes, this is the key. Not all restoration is created equal. 

Slight Color touch for example will command higher prices than a trimmed book.  Books with extensive restoration will command even less. 

There is no easy equation to determine restored value vs blue label, but knowing the extent of the resto will help us give a more general approximation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 4:33 PM, Robot Chicken said:

Please tell us more about what you already know about the restoration.

I'll be completely honest, I just don't know very much about restoration, I don't think I can accurately tell you what has been done because I don't know what goes into restoration and what is done when a book is restored

 I was really hoping someone could tell by the pictures what kind of restoration had been done.

Is there any way that you could just assume the worst and assume a massive restoration has been done and give me like a rough estimate of the grade and value

 

I'm in no way  trying to be difficult,  I'm just completely shooting in the dark here, I just don't know anything about restoration and I'm just hoping for some kind of a rough estimate so I at least have an idea what grade the book and his value

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, Robot Chicken said:

Huh. I only asked because you said it was restored. How do you know it's restored then? Did the seller tell you? 

 

I inherited the comic

 

I know it's restored because  I can absolutely see restoration on the cover,  I see plenty of spots where I can see some sort of color touch has been done specifically if you look at the $0.12 in the upper left corner you can clearly see 1/4 of the 12 cents has been colored in  and  is a bright white,  there's also multiple spots on the spine and around the staples that have been color touched but I don't know how or what was used in the color touch

on the back of the book too, where there are some tears, it looks like they've been put back together somehow

Edited by billbrown7080
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posting your book as you have here now with honest and earnest questions on restoration and a resulting value is like shooting for fish in a fast-moving river with a toy bow and arrow out of a canoe.  Your best bet for some real solid and quick answers is this - send the book to CGC for grading.  It should come back a restored purple label plus you will have the grader's notes.  Then send it to Heritage Auction, where you hopefully will get a nice final hammer price (assuming you are looking to sell it and maximize value on it). I love H.A. for books like this. This is a real plan of action that gets you answers instead of vague responses from the peanut gallery here.  My 2-cents. :preach:

Edited by Roger66
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that this book looks like it's been restored (and trimmed). I also agree that you should send this book to CGC for a professional evaluation---there may be other things going on that can't be determined from the photos. 

And even though it's been restored, it still maintains an attractive look, which in my mind should make it more valuable to potential buyers. Ultimately, the final value will be determined by a number of factors, and strong eye appeal is certainly an important consideration.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for posting...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with what everyone is saying. Get it graded to figure out what's going on. 

I stick with my original assessment. It's extensive restoration with CT, tear seal and trimming. There may be more going on, but that's what I can see. I suspect it's amateur resto. 

There was a 6.0 with extensive resto that sold on eBay in September for $8400.  There was only one bidder, so that sale could be an outlier, I really don't know.  It's a little nicer than yours in my opinion and it's also not trimmed. So a wide ranging estimate would be $5500 to $7500 if you get it graded. 

It's not an exact science, but it's a pretty copy of a book many people would love to own.  

Again, I would get it graded so you know exactly what's going on and then send it off to auction and let the market determine the price.  

 

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spiderman-1-CGC-6-0-/304153287433?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you so much to everyone who responded, I feel like a lot of great advice.

 

I may end up one day sending it in to CGC to get it graded one day especially if I ever have to sell it, but I honestly don't plan on ever selling it or at least don't plan on selling it until I'm an old man.

I'm a massive collector and have a huge collection but I honestly don't have a single comic that's been graded professionally and I've never sent a comic in to be graded and the reason is  because I don't plan on selling my personal collection.. I do sell some comics on eBay but none are huge keys that would be worth sending into CGC.

  Basically I'm just going through my collection right now, again it's been about five years since I really updated my major keys and checked to see where prices are,  and with this particular comic  due to the restoration  I just wasn't sure what to  grade it or where to value it.

 

So I made this post here, hoping just to get a rough estimate or some good advice, which I've gotten so thank you all very much

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?

(Or let CGC grade it.)

As raw, I would probably start an auction at $1k and let the market decide its financial value. If it was graded, then I would start the auction at 50% of the last-sold Universal label in the same grade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 12:26 PM, billbrown7080 said:

Hello I was hoping I might be able to get some advice from experienced collectors and sellers

I am trying to calculate the current value of some of my key issues,  it's been about five years since I've really went through and figured out how much they are worth and how much they've gone up in price.

And I have an Amazing Spider-Man #1 that is restored, I fully admit I'm not very smart when it comes to how to grade comics that are restored or their value, I have looked on eBay and a few other sites but I haven't really found any restored Amazing Spider-Man #1's  that are similar to mine. There is a restored .5 CGC ASM #1 on eBay right now listed for $7000 but it's in drastically worse shape than mine so I don't think it's a very good example and doesn't tell me much

 

So what I'm hoping for is, could you guys look at these pictures of my comic and give me your opinions on the grade of this comic and also could you please give me an estimated value of this comic,  for example if you had this comic and we're going to sell it online or on eBay RAW what would you price it for.

 

Thank you so much for anybody who responds and helps

 

 

 

20211022_145947.jpg

20211022_150001.jpg

20211022_150011.jpg

20211022_150034.jpg

20211022_150052.jpg

20211022_150103.jpg

20211022_150108.jpg

20211022_150114.jpg

20211022_150131.jpg

20211022_150142.jpg

This book appears from the photos to be approximately an apparent 2.0 with extensive restoration.  Based on the limited sales history of books in this range in recent years, it's worth about $3000-$4000 if graded by CGC as 2.0 with extenstive restoration.  If it grades a little higher (unlikely) or a little lower (slightly more likely) then the value might rise or fall a little, but you can pretty much expect about $3000 to $4000 for this book if you get it graded and sell it right now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2021 at 4:51 PM, The Lions Den said:

I agree that this book looks like it's been restored (and trimmed). I also agree that you should send this book to CGC for a professional evaluation---there may be other things going on that can't be determined from the photos. 

And even though it's been restored, it still maintains an attractive look, which in my mind should make it more valuable to potential buyers. Ultimately, the final value will be determined by a number of factors, and strong eye appeal is certainly an important consideration.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for posting...

Yes. Trimmed. Piece replaced front cover upper left corner it appears. Look at the re-draw of the web.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2021 at 11:19 AM, billbrown7080 said:

 

 

I inherited the comic

 

I know it's restored because  I can absolutely see restoration on the cover,  I see plenty of spots where I can see some sort of color touch has been done specifically if you look at the $0.12 in the upper left corner you can clearly see 1/4 of the 12 cents has been colored in  and  is a bright white,  there's also multiple spots on the spine and around the staples that have been color touched but I don't know how or what was used in the color touch

on the back of the book too, where there are some tears, it looks like they've been put back together somehow

My estimate is that it's now a 2.0 to 3.0  range book that although IMO is extensively restored would get a moderate resto designation  from CGC. This looks to have started out in the 1.5 to 2.0 split spine range before the Franken re-build. Not putting it down, just speaking frankly. 

Whatever the current climate is for a moderately to extensively restored and trimmed CGC 2.0/3.0 is the approx. value and about what it would bring raw which is not going to vary much from slabbed if you disclose all the resto and offer it raw... 

Also, it's an unfinished work in progress. It's amateurish and should be re-done and then completed. It may have 6.0 potential in that case if done by competent hands. 

Edited by James J Johnson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2021 at 10:06 AM, FFB said:

but you can pretty much expect about $3000 to $4000 for this book if you get it graded and sell it right now.  

I just reviewed all of the AS #1s on ebay. If he lists his book raw, as is, tonight (Sunday night at 8PM) on ebay in a 7 day no reserve auction, starting bid $0.99, he'll get somewhere between $6500 and $8000 for it in all probability. He doesn't need a grade. Lots of pictures like he did here, filling all 12 image slots with different angles, both front and back. Restoration disclosure: Moderately restored with small pieces added, spine reinforced, some color touchup, possibly cleaned and lightly trimmed. $6500 to $8000. 12 clear hi-res pictures can do far more.to show the grade than a non-professional's grade opinion. Based on what other AS 1s are listed currently, and the asking prices, strike while the iron is hot. Good time to auction it. It will do very well. 

:gossip:  Now between you and me, the book is worth exactly what you thought it is worth ($3000 to $4000), but right now, on ebay, it'll make double that. 

Edited by James J Johnson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/22/2021 at 12:26 PM, billbrown7080 said:

Hello I was hoping I might be able to get some advice from experienced collectors and sellers

I am trying to calculate the current value of some of my key issues,  it's been about five years since I've really went through and figured out how much they are worth and how much they've gone up in price.

And I have an Amazing Spider-Man #1 that is restored, I fully admit I'm not very smart when it comes to how to grade comics that are restored or their value, I have looked on eBay and a few other sites but I haven't really found any restored Amazing Spider-Man #1's  that are similar to mine. There is a restored .5 CGC ASM #1 on eBay right now listed for $7000 but it's in drastically worse shape than mine so I don't think it's a very good example and doesn't tell me much

 

So what I'm hoping for is, could you guys look at these pictures of my comic and give me your opinions on the grade of this comic and also could you please give me an estimated value of this comic,  for example if you had this comic and we're going to sell it online or on eBay RAW what would you price it for.

 

Thank you so much for anybody who responds and helps

 

 

 

20211022_145947.jpg

20211022_150001.jpg

20211022_150011.jpg

20211022_150034.jpg

20211022_150052.jpg

20211022_150103.jpg

20211022_150108.jpg

20211022_150114.jpg

20211022_150131.jpg

20211022_150142.jpg

$6500 to $8000, listed on a Sunday night for a 7 day auction starting at $0.99. No grade, just all the pictures you have here and full disclosure of the resto. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/30/2021 at 9:57 PM, James J Johnson said:

I just reviewed all of the AS #1s on ebay. If he lists his book raw, as is, tonight (Sunday night at 8PM) on ebay in a 7 day no reserve auction, starting bid $0.99, he'll get somewhere between $6500 and $8000 for it in all probability. He doesn't need a grade. Lots of pictures like he did here, filling all 12 image slots with different angles, both front and back. Restoration disclosure: Moderately restored with small pieces added, spine reinforced, some color touchup, possibly cleaned and lightly trimmed. $6500 to $8000. 12 clear hi-res pictures can do far more.to show the grade than a non-professional's grade opinion. Based on what other AS 1s are listed currently, and the asking prices, strike while the iron is hot. Good time to auction it. It will do very well. 

:gossip:  Now between you and me, the book is worth exactly what you thought it is worth ($3000 to $4000), but right now, on ebay, it'll make double that. 

The completed sales data of restored ASM#1s on eBay or elsewhere do not support what you are saying.  Maybe he would get lucky if he listed the book the way you say, but there isn't any sales data I'm aware of to back up what you are saying.  I'm curious what specific listings you saw that make you so sure he'll get double FMV for it if he lists it right now in a no reserve, 99 cent, 7 day auction?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0