• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE PART 2 from Legendary Pictures (11/17/23)
6 6

336 posts in this topic

Dune: Part Two Is Officially The First Blockbuster Of 2024

Reflecting back on late 2021, Denis Villeneuve's Dune had some notable hiccups in its big screen release. That, of course, was the year when theaters were bouncing back after being closed during the COVID-19 pandemic, but the blockbuster film also took a bit of a hit due to Warner Bros.' decision to debut all of their movies simultaneously in cinemas and on streaming. Because of those factors, it was tricky in the runup to Dune: Part Two to figure out exactly how the film would land at the box office... but now it's here, and it managed to destroy conservative estimates about its performance.

Arriving in theaters on a massive wave of buzz, with critics hailing it as one of the best sequels of all time, the new Dune follow-up had an excellent opening weekend, and it managed to completely destroy all competition. 

Last week, prognosticators suggested that Dune: Part Two's opening weekend box office haul would be somewhere in the realm of $65 million... but they were wrong. That total would have been more than enough to instantly earn the sci-fi epic the designation of being the biggest hit of 2024 thus far, but the number was too small regardless. Estimates seemingly didn't factor in the amazing word-of-mouth that the film has generated – starting with critics and perpetuated by fans. The movie had a monster preview night on Thursday, and the numbers have been going up and up ever since, resulting in a Friday-to-Sunday haul north of $80 million.

Per The Numbers, it's a debut that is on-part with the numbers that Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer put up last summer ($82.5 million) when it was doing opening weekend battle with Greta Gerwig's Barbie, and it's the biggest start for a film at the box office since the launch of Emma Tammi's Five Nights at Freddy's last fall ($80 million). As noted, it's also far and away the biggest opening weekend of 2024 thus far, exceeding the high bar that was set by Reinaldo Marcus Green's Bob Marley: One Love – which launched last month earning $28.7 million in its first three days of release. The industry has been hoping that Dune: Part Two would inject a key spark into the marketplace, and it has done exactly that.

If I am Zaslav, I will be bundling financing of DCU and other projects with a piece of Dune 3 and its spin-offs right now. Strike while the demand is there and lever the success of Dune and other franchises to build the development budget for the entire studio for the next 5 years.

On 3/4/2024 at 1:19 PM, jimjum12 said:

Is it worth 3-D Imax? GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I didn't think it was showing in 3-D, but regardless:  this definitely NEEDS to be seen in either IMAX or Dolby Digital.  

I would be shocked if you regretted the decision to spend the money to see this in a premium theatre.  I saw it twice this weekend and have a ticket for next Sunday.  I had only planned on seeing it once this Friday and go again next weekend but waken (WTH I didn't type "waken", my spelling isn't THAT bad) up Saturday and had to see it again.

Edited by Number 6

There is no 3-D for this one, but the important thing is to try and see it in the expanded ratio 1.43 on the handful of IMax Duel Laser and 15/70mm print showings.
I really regret missing Dune 1 in 1.43. Dune 1 had about 1 hour in the expanded ratio and Dune 2 has about 40 minutes.

Edited by Rip

I saw it yesterday. It was visually stunning with amazing sound, but a :censored: adaptation. They changed was too much for my taste, especially when it comes to character motivations.

I'm glad for all of you liked it but it really got on my nerves and you can't pay me to watch it again.

Hell, I liked part one and I don't think I can watch that again because of what was done in part two.

And please can Zendaya's 15 minutes be over? She looked severely constipated through the whole movie, and is just a terrible actress.

Edited by D84

On 3/4/2024 at 10:27 PM, D84 said:

I saw it yesterday. It was visually stunning with amazing sound, but a :censored: adaptation. They changed was too much for my taste, especially when it comes to character motivations.

I'm glad for all of you liked it but it really got on my nerves and you can't pay me to watch it again.

Hell, I liked part one and I don't think I can watch that again because of what was done in part two.

And please can Zendaya's 15 minutes be over? She looked severely constipated through the whole movie, and is just a terrible actress.

If you listen to the director, he claims he is moving Paul the direction that Herbert had originally intended, and later admitted did not come through in the book. The author is on record saying that Dune Messiah was written, in part, to correct some of the themes that failed to come through clearly.  The changes made in the film are therefor meant to align the stories more closely going forward, to Herbert's original intentions.  Chani does seem like the largest departure from the books, and will likely lead to greater changes to that character and plot in the third film.  Certain plot points become much more difficult to pull off. The Alia changes are much easier to reconcile. 

On 3/5/2024 at 7:20 PM, drotto said:

If you listen to the director, he claims he is moving Paul the direction that Herbert had originally intended, and later admitted did not come through in the book. The author is on record saying that Dune Messiah was written, in part, to correct some of the themes that failed to come through clearly.  The changes made in the film are therefor meant to align the stories more closely going forward, to Herbert's original intentions.  Chani does seem like the largest departure from the books, and will likely lead to greater changes to that character and plot in the third film.  Certain plot points become much more difficult to pull off. The Alia changes are much easier to reconcile. 

I respect what you are saying but... 

Movie directors always have a reason for "fixing" a book.

I know what Herbert said in the interviews, but he clarified his intentions with the second book. The director could have done the same thing. Instead, in his pompousity thought he could improve the book.

It was a highly dumbed down version of Dune. And the runtime excuse doesn't work. Both films together clock in at 5 1/4 hours while the Sci Fi Channel mini series was 4 1/2 hours and was able to cover the story more thoroughly and accurately. Yes, the mini series had awful effects but I'd rather see the story done justice.

It was visually everything I ever wanted but storywise was a huge letdown.

Out of respect for those who haven't seen it, I won't list the numerous changes made from book.