• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE PART 2 from Legendary Pictures (11/17/23)
6 6

332 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2024 at 10:28 PM, jsilverjanet said:

watched it last night, did not go to the big screen to see it. opted for dolby cinema because i had read the clarity and sound would be amazing compared to my local imax (not true imax)

i usually sit all the way in the back because the sound shakes the seats

this did not disappoint

amazing sound, visuals, i thought the first hour was great, 2nd hour slowed a bit and the final act was fantastic

I related to Bardems character as with each moment, his joy and surprise were the same as mine

glad these threads pushed me to watch the first and as a result this one

I just got around to watching the first one and loved it... can't wait to see this sequel...

On 4/22/2024 at 12:57 AM, Microchip said:

Dune 1984, those numbers have to be ignoring 30 years of rentals, and subsequent dvd sales. surely.

Those numbers are box office only (domestic and international). Home theater sales on pre-1990's movies can be tough to track down at times.

There have been modern updates to 4K. But sales numbers have been limited in reporting for even those releases.

image.thumb.png.53f7cfb601d33a3f91d0cbdb3370c2c6.png

Loved part two (my wife did not), I did think it was a little long and the transition of Paul turning into the direction of the Messiah could have been telegraphed a bit more. It was only until after I saw the movie that I read his *turn* (to use wrestling parlance) was meant to be legitimate. I felt he was making decisions at the end for the sake of strategy, not necessarily because his personality had changed.

I do have one question for Dune fans: why was most of the pronunciations of the names changed, while some stayed the same: i.e., "Har-Cone-Nen" was the old way of saying it, now to "Hark-En-En", or Duke "Lee-toe" is now Duke "Let-Oh" but some, like Muad'Dib stayed the same. That was a very disjointed part of both movies coming from a longtime fan of the first film - was there some clarification that Frank Herbet had specific ways of pronouncing names that got ignored on the 1983 film?

On 4/24/2024 at 11:09 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I do have one question for Dune fans: why was most of the pronunciations of the names changed, while some stayed the same: i.e., "Har-Cone-Nen" was the old way of saying it, now to "Hark-En-En", or Duke "Lee-toe" is now Duke "Let-Oh" but some, like Muad'Dib stayed the same. That was a very disjointed part of both movies coming from a longtime fan of the first film - was there some clarification that Frank Herbet had specific ways of pronouncing names that got ignored on the 1983 film?

I think part of what made Frank Herbert's novel such a sensation upon original publication was its degree of world-building, never before seen in a science fiction novel (though Tolkien's Lord of the Rings previously had accomplished a similar feat in an epic fantasy setting).  Herbert included a glossary of his made-up and borrowed terms, but without a pronunciation guide (at least not in the editions I have).  I would imagine Villeneuve's movies reflect the subsequent fan consensus, or perhaps even Herbert's later instructions, since Villeneuve has always been an extreme fan of the work, in a way that David Lynch never really was.  I'm guessing "Maud'Dib" sounds the same in both versions because it is almost the only way one could pronounce it in English, whereas the others are a bit more ambiguous, and so-- luck of the draw-- the different creators took different approaches.