• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLZ Comic App booted By GoCollect
4 4

48 posts in this topic

From the email I received: 

Hi Friend,

This is CLZ Alwin and I am afraid I have some bad news for you today:

Our agreement with GoCollect has ended, so in today's updates all GoCollect-related features have been removed:

• CLZ Comics 6.9 for iOS and Android (now live)
  • Comic Connect (changes now live)
  • Comic Collector 21.7 (coming up later this week)

Which means no more automatic comic values when you add comics and no more daily updates for values.

We fully understand this is a shock and a disappointment for you all. Trust me, we are very disappointed too, maybe even more so than you are.
In any case, we sincerely apologize for this sudden loss of functionality. Please read on below for possible ways to get compensated or refunded.

But first, let me give you some more background on what happened:

Our agreement with GoCollect, and how it ended

In May 2019 we first got in contact with GoCollect (GC). At the time, they did not have an API for 3rd party access at all. So they quickly whipped up a temporary API for us and we came to the agreement that CLZ could use that API for free for 1 year, or at least until they had set up their real paid API and 3rd party data licensing agreement.

However, that new API and agreement did not materialize, not in 1 year, not in 2 years. Then in May 2021 GC promised us our new API and agreement would arrive early July 2021, after their new website was launched.
Sadly, nothing happened in July... or in August. No new GoCollect website, no new API, no new paid data agreement.

Then suddenly, starting Sept 23, the number of daily value updates dropped from a few hundred to just a handful. And obviously, we started to get lots of complaints from you all about not receiving value updates anymore.

We of course contacted GoCollect. They were not aware of any problems, but told us the lack of updates was "probably caused by their migration to the new website" and that they would look into it.
Then on Oct 5 GC told us to "let our users know that there may be service interruptions over the next several weeks as they migrated to their new platform."
On Oct 13 their statement changed to: "The time investment in making the old API work is going to mean a longer lag than us focusing on getting the new site launched and the new API established. The estimated timeline for our new API is approx 2-4 weeks and I look forward to discussing that partnership opportunity with CLZ next week."

Finally on Oct 15, GoCollect dropped their bomb with us:
They had changed their mind and there was NOT going to be a new paid API for 3rd parties. They told us sorry, but we were welcome to use their upcoming free API when it becomes available... but without any ETA and without any details about what data the free API would contain.

So... we had to make a tough decision...
... wait for the free API, with no ETA and the likely chance that it would be too limited anyway...
Or bite the bullet and stop working with GoCollect completely.

After serious discussions and deliberations, we decided to go for the latter. We decided to remove all GoCollect functionality from our apps and software, resulting in the updates that were released today.

Well it looks like GoCollects website update is just screwing everything up. CLZ is still a good App but I may have to start looking elsewhere.

I was considering a move to CLZ next year (currently using ComicPriceGuide) but this gives me pause. Is this their only source of data for values? I'm assuming no, but it certainly is a big loss.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:03 PM, universal soldier said:

I was considering a move to CLZ next year (currently using ComicPriceGuide) but this gives me pause. Is this their only source of data for values? I'm assuming no, but it certainly is a big loss.

yup

On 10/28/2021 at 2:57 PM, Mike Bray said:

I've heard of go Collect but don't have a clue as to what's going on ....

The clz app, which this thread is about, will let you catalog your collection, and it used to be linked to gocollect to where the vales of the comics would be next to your books.

It looks as though gocollect has broken partnership with the app, and the features are no longer available.

:tink:

On 10/28/2021 at 3:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The clz app, which this thread is about, will let you catalog your collection, and it used to be linked to gocollect to where the vales of the comics would be next to your books.

It looks as though gocollect has broken partnership with the app, and the features are no longer available.

:tink:

i use their website, collectorz.com, to catalog my collection. i find it a very useful site to keep track of my books, but never relied on it to track their values. that's something i do myself via GPA and my own personal database of comiclink sales results. 

On 10/28/2021 at 8:12 PM, alexgross.com said:

i use their website, collectorz.com, to catalog my collection. i find it a very useful site to keep track of my books, but never relied on it to track their values. that's something i do myself via GPA and my own personal database of comiclink sales results. 

Yes but the person I responded to didnt know why the app and gocollect was connected I'm this thread. When the thread was bumped, it was due to the values no longer being available 

On 10/28/2021 at 1:54 PM, kcm54 said:

CLZ says they will be looking for a new partner, but it will take time.  Considering that the only other software that takes CSV files seems to be ComicBase (and the UI there is hostile to me), I'll stay with CLZ.  GoCollect can go collect someone else's money though.

I use both CLZ and Covrprice. It is a bummer about GoCollect tanking out on CLZ. However, Covrprice will import CSV files because I have done it from CLZ to Covrprice myself. I had to clean up some comics where the terminology differed, but it works.