• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever found a 9.8 at MCS listed lower?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

So, what motivates an owner to take such a deal?  Do you think it's people who sell outright  or consignments or do you think it makes no difference?  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining as I love the comics I have purchased so far, just seems often they were under priced.  I do see that sometimes a 6.0 is priced like a 7.0 or higher so I get that, but not always.

Edited by Joe Peck

On 11/1/2021 at 4:09 AM, Joe Peck said:

So, what motivates an owner to take such a deal?  Do you think it's people who sell outright  or consignments or do you think it makes no difference?  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not complaining as I love the comics I have purchased so far, just seems often they were under priced.  I do see that sometimes a 6.0 is priced like a 7.0 or higher so I get that, but not always.

Honestly, I think MCS grades tightly, but I don't think they purposely assign lower grades. They have a reputation of being fair and honest in their grading process that's been earned over about 40 years (or more). The majority of their back issues come  from regular customers using the sell/trade option on the website. I've sold thousands of comics to them, and it's actually as common for them to adjust my grade up as it is to adjust it down. They also guarantee that the grade they assign the comics at time of purchase is the grade it sells at.

In this day and age, a company that practices good customer service and does things with honesty and integrity "just because" has become a rarity. I was always taught to give my best at work and to do what I could (within reason) to satisfy any customer, and that was pretty much the standard everywhere. When somebody is helpful or fair now, a customer is more likely to be suspicious of being scammed instead of appreciative. You should expect that from MCS every time, though.

As others have said, I'm sure it's possible.  MCS has a good rep for tight grading.  I just wouldn't set my expectations for that.  If it happens, awesome!  You hit the jackpot.  But, tempered expectations will never steer you wrong.  

On 11/1/2021 at 9:06 AM, Ryan. said:

I have a purchased a MCS 9.0 and had it come back 9.8 from CGC.

Wow

Could we see the book? I just want to know what it is, not picking 

On 11/1/2021 at 7:18 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Wow

Could we see the book? I just want to know what it is, not picking 

This was a few years ago and I sold it right back to them. It was a Miracleman 1 Gold. Those were manufactured with a slight crease on the front cover. CGC ignored it in their grading, MCS did not. 

On 11/1/2021 at 4:22 PM, Ryan. said:

This was a few years ago and I sold it right back to them. It was a Miracleman 1 Gold. Those were manufactured with a slight crease on the front cover. CGC ignored it in their grading, MCS did not. 

So to CGC it was considered a manufacturing defect?

On 11/1/2021 at 7:27 PM, Dr. Dank said:

So to CGC it was considered a manufacturing defect?

Yeah. I remember getting the book in hand from MCS and thinking it was a 9.8 all day except for the crease so I took a shot with CGC. 

I've placed many large orders with MCS in the past, and found *on average* their grading to be consistent.  Sometimes half a point higher or lower than I would expect the book to be graded at; rarely more than that in deviation; i.e., a book I buy from them as graded 4.0, upon inspection I might consider 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5.  I have no idea what CGC would call any book at any given time, however.