• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever found a 9.8 at MCS listed lower?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Bought several dozen books from MCS now to fill in my collection of Nova, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Invaders, Defenders, Human Torch, and Inhumans.  I bought all Raw and was primarily looking for stuff that was 6 and 7s because I want to read them as well so I didn't want to spend crazy amounts of money when I didn't need to.

My question is: has anyone ever purchased an 8.5 or 9.0 from MCS and had it graded by CGC as a 9.8?

Here's an 8.0 I bought.  Sure looks like a 9 something to me, no?  My question/assumption is if there are 8s that are 9's then are there 9's that are 9.8s? 

MM1.jpg

MM2.jpg

MM3.jpg

MM4.jpg

MM5.jpg

MM6.jpg

As for 9.8s, that is an exceptionally tough grade to hit, with moderns anyways.

There are nuances that silver and gold books are more lenient on, but generally a 9.8 is a perfect book, barring production flaws

Knowing MCS grading abilities, if they say a book is a 8 or 8.5 or even 9.0 to 9.2, I would highly doubt CGC would consider anything submitted as a 9.8

Perhaps a 9.4 to 9.6 could be a CGC 9.8

On 10/31/2021 at 7:53 PM, aszumilo said:

Can't really tell if it is a light reflection or possible color breaking crease.

image.png.f5e8e8bcdf3b2d613ec258e31c0f0868.png

If it is a color breaking crease, then I would agree with the MCS grade

Either way kind of looks like a fold or over hang, crease color breaking or not.

I noticed that too

On 10/31/2021 at 8:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Either way kind of looks like a fold or over hang, crease color breaking or not.

I noticed that too

Worth mentioning I think I have a 9.4 slab that has that in the slab.  I've been meaning to dig out and relook at it. I'm thinking it's not 9.4.

On 10/31/2021 at 6:12 PM, kav said:

Has to have happened.  You buy a 9.4 from MCS good chance its a 9.8.

I missed my chance to grab Showcase #80 NM 9.4.  The same copy was graded at 9.8 then was sold for $4000.  The price was only $450.

PS, please do not post with the seal stealing the trophy fish. (thumbsu

On 10/31/2021 at 7:31 PM, JollyComics said:

I missed my chance to grab Showcase #80 NM 9.4.  The same copy was graded at 9.8 then was sold for $4000.  The price was only $450.

PS, please do not post with the seal stealing the trophy fish. (thumbsu

That would be cruel.  Not unusual, but cruel.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:35 PM, JollyComics said:

One time, I bought DCCP #47 FN 6.0 from MSC. There are several NCB creases. I pressed them out and got 9.0 from CGC.  Second copy was 9.0 and I flipped it to 9.4 after pressing.

You may never know.  MSC has provided excellent scans.

My experience is they always undergrade by 2 full grade points.  I buy 4.0's from them all day long.