• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did you slab to learn?
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I think I’ve sent 23 books into CGC so far with the intent of selling 3, and I think I’m going to crack 10.  I just really wanted to know what they were according to CGC.  Has anyone else ever done the same?

Edited by Joe Peck

I think everyone to some extent learned how CGC grades books by sending in copies and getting shocked on their first submission.  I'd not recommend sending in a bunch of 7.0 - 8.0 common books to see how it goes but sending in a perfect but badly miscut book to see if CGC will give a 9.8 is perfectly normal.  The more you can learn before sending in your first book is better for the checkbook but there is a learning curve (especially since CGC goes through very tight and very loose phases).

Edited by 1Cool

I didn't "slab to learn", but first submission was a learning experience.  Lol

Buying raw books from good graders (like Bob Storms), buying already slabbed books were all helpful to learning. 

The biggest thing was the OS Grading Guide (2nd Edition, I think).  It was issued back in 2003 or 04, in the early years of CGC.  They (CGC and Steve B) helped OS put that book together.  It was the most invaluable tool for me.   As 1Cool said, standards have changed over the years (tight & loose periods), but that particular edition has always been a great tool.  

On 11/3/2021 at 6:09 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nope. I learned grading through research, and trial/error via others' submissions in the PGM sub-forum. :insane:

+1

eBay books by grade.

Heritage by grade. Search CGC (grade) and try to reverse engineer the grade by observing obvious flaws.

Lots of research and looking at thousands of slabs that others submitted.

On 11/2/2021 at 4:51 PM, Joe Peck said:

I think I’ve sent 23 books into CGC so far with the intent of selling 3, and I think I’m going to crack 10.  I just really wanted to know what they were according to CGC.  Has anyone else ever done the same?

Joe, submitting books to CGC isn't cheap.  Paying for knowledge isn't an awful idea but I'd learn all I could before going that route.

Go to Heritage Auctions and create a free membership and then study their wonderful scans, both front and back cover.  Create some threads in the grading area of the forum because the feedback is surprisingly accurate.  Keep reading all you can here as there is a ton of information if you can find it.