• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you consider a successful submission of 9.8 Pre screen?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

My second submission I have ever sent in was a batch of 48 Modern tier books for 9.8 Pre Screening and I only had 10 rejects from the lot. I thought I was starting to get a good grasp of what is a 9.8 at this point. So with my success of my second batch I sent in another batch of 48 Modern tier books for 9.8 screening and this time 24 came back as rejected.  So either I don't have as much of a understanding as I thought or I got a strict grader perhaps...maybe some damaged in handling/shipping?

Anyway...this got me thinking what does everyone else consider a successful submission?  I consider my second submission successful even with the 10 rejects but this most recent batch I look at as a failure. I haven't received the books as of yet but I will going over each return to try and determine what I could have possibly missed.  

40% If i get 50 I am thrilled. But I don't send in perfect surefire 9.8 books. The books I send will have a tic or 2 so they could go either way. When the 9.8 is double the 9.6 it's worth the gamble. If they are modern books I don't even prescreen. Dealer price is like $18 or something so I will just take my chances for that. I can sell a 9.6 slab for much more than a raw 9.6. If I did send in what I felt were certain 9.8s I would expect to be near 100%. But I check books well so I don't miss a tic dent bend finger print. Probably have to settle for 90% My books may be 9.8s when they arrive but after a handful of over worked people handle them I dunno. 

On 11/3/2021 at 9:37 PM, james_c said:

My second submission I have ever sent in was a batch of 48 Modern tier books for 9.8 Pre Screening and I only had 10 rejects from the lot. I thought I was starting to get a good grasp of what is a 9.8 at this point. So with my success of my second batch I sent in another batch of 48 Modern tier books for 9.8 screening and this time 24 came back as rejected.  So either I don't have as much of a understanding as I thought or I got a strict grader perhaps...maybe some damaged in handling/shipping?

Anyway...this got me thinking what does everyone else consider a successful submission?  I consider my second submission successful even with the 10 rejects but this most recent batch I look at as a failure. I haven't received the books as of yet but I will going over each return to try and determine what I could have possibly missed.  

The logic is that you only do prescreen on books you arent sure are 9.8 (or that MUST be 9.8 for it to be worthwhile), because or else you're spending money you don't need to. So with that in mind, anything over 50% is good.

And it really depends the book, not all 9.8s are equal. There are some defects for a particular book that CGC has deemed a production defect while it's not the same for others. 

Also, were all the books you sent pressed prior to CGC getting them?

On 11/4/2021 at 12:18 AM, William-James88 said:

The logic is that you only do prescreen on books you arent sure are 9.8 (or that MUST be 9.8 for it to be worthwhile), because or else you're spending money you don't need to. So with that in mind, anything over 50% is good.

And it really depends the book, not all 9.8s are equal. There are some defects for a particular book that CGC has deemed a production defect while it's not the same for others. 

Also, were all the books you sent pressed prior to CGC getting them?

The ones I sent in I determined needed to be a 9.8 to be worthwhile. I do have another batch I am working on that I will be sending in that will not have a pre screening associated and I will get the encapsulated regardless of grade. 

As for the question about pressing...I would say probably 90% were pressed before being sent in on this batch.

I pre-screen to the GPA level where I don't think it's worth slabbing. That level changes for everyone obviously and by the comic... so that's how I group the moderns. If the entire cost includes pressing, shipping, grading, etc., you would have a fixed cost in mind and a value that would make it not worth it. That's how I personally approach it. (Unless it was for my personal collection in which case, none of this matters and I just want it slabbed for sentimental reasons.)

"Rarity" in the census is also a factor. Not true rarity, but if it will be the only one in the census, that's always worth something in my book. (shrug)

Even then, getting more than 25% back from the pre-screen seems excessive if you've really checked them over (which isn't the case many times).

I'm in the process of submitting thousands of more books, so it's been a learning experience.

Edited by sckao

On 11/4/2021 at 7:57 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Personally if I'm prescreening at 9.8, I've failed if it isn't a 100% return.

So if you sent in 100 books and 98 of them came back 9.8 you would consider this a failure?

On 11/4/2021 at 8:10 PM, james_c said:
On 11/4/2021 at 7:57 PM, Fisionbomb said:

So if you sent in 100 books and 98 of them came back 9.8 you would consider this a failure?

Many years ago, I actually had some boardies over and they helped me pre-screen hundreds of books ( dozens of Secret Wars 8, ASM 361-363, MCP 72s, etc.) and we kept track of their successful percentage of 9.8 strikes vs failures. It was a pretty interesting experiment and most were VERY close to 100%. If you want a 100% strike rate, you have to discard the maybes... which may mean leaving money on the table if 9.6s are still worth something. I had the multiples so we could leave the 9.6 and maybes for another day.

Recently, I did some 10/10 9.8 submissions with no pre-screen but I had over 30 copies to pick through to get that 10. Sometimes, you don't have that luxury.

(These are all un-pressed books.)