• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not OK, really not ok...
4 4

171 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, kav said:

Most likely this is what is called  'screen memory'-a vivid, realisic memory of something that never happened.  About 30% at least of childhood memories are screen memories.

Shush, troll

On 11/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, kav said:

Most likely this is what is called  'screen memory'-a vivid, realisic memory of something that never happened.  About 30% at least of childhood memories are screen memories.

thanks ..

someone has politely asked you to scale back on your posting ... apparently he doesn't know your style as now you will have to double down on your posting for the rest of the day !!!

On 11/27/2021 at 12:53 PM, 1950's war comics said:

thanks ..

someone has politely asked you to scale back on your posting ... apparently he doesn't know your style as now you will have to double down on your posting for the rest of the day !!!

triple down.  

On 11/4/2021 at 3:54 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

My 200 books were graded end of September (received date 6/11) and all of them are still sitting GEI for over a month now.

CGC also has about another 600-700 more of my books because I submit every month as do many others.

So my point is I doubt this is your main source of income unlike myself and many others, so if you are upset how do you think we feel currently? lol 

Aaaaand this is the problem.......100's of sellers sending in 1000's of books......

On 11/26/2021 at 10:41 PM, thehumantorch said:

CGC was created to grade and slab books.  If someone is willing to pay for the service they can send in what they want and as many as they want.  

I don't care how many worthless books anyone sends in. I'm just stating facts. CGC was created to slab valuable books. What's happened in the last few years was not in the plans. Isn't that obvious just looking at the TAT? 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:43 AM, lostboys said:

I don't care how many worthless books anyone sends in. I'm just stating facts. CGC was created to slab valuable books. What's happened in the last few years was not in the plans. Isn't that obvious just looking at the TAT? 

Sorry, CGC was created to grade and slab comics.  They are a business and their goal is to expand and make more money.  Expanding to grading magazines and cards, charging less to grade lower value books, the constant signature opportunities, are all deliberate choices to increase submissions and revenue.

Yeah there are some people on board with the idea that CGC does what they do as an extension to benefit the hobby

This is false

They're a business in the business of making profits

This has been proven time and again by how many books they've managed to damage in the name of making said profits.

This has been quite the thread. There's complaining, complaining about the complaining, complaining about the complaining about the complaining, cheeseburgers, and complete sentences from Greggy. I'd recommend it to all my friends who like Belgian films.

I must admit, I'm a bit confused though. Since I can't imagine there's too many Avengers 4s and Amazing Fantasy 15s tied up for months waiting in line behind the thousands and thousands of modern drek. It's random Silver and Bronze drek worth less than $400 that's sitting in line behind Modern drek worth less than $400. My last submission of walk-throughs in September was done in 3 calendar days, the Express were done and shipped out in 8 calendar days, and my Fast Track Moderns were done well before I expected them to be. Sure, my "modern drek" submitted for cheapest possible processing is waiting in line and I don't expect to see it until next spring. But premium tier submissions seem to truck right along just fine. TATs look a little slower right now than a couple months ago. But that won't stop me from throwing another hundred books on the pile, another couple dozen that will come back "quickly" and a few dozen that can come back in June and I'll be just as happy to see them.

And for the record, the worst number of cheeseburgers to order from McDonald's is 37. Because only 36 fit on a grill at once. I've never eaten more than 16 at a sitting myself, but there's some helpful advice if you're trying to plan ahead.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:23 AM, Randall Ries said:

I don't give the fuzzy crack of a rat's heinie if they are furious. They are their own problem. They have created the problem for themselves and other collectors who only submit one or two books.

I don't understand your logic.

Most of the time people submit books that should not be in holders whether its 100 books or 1.  

On 11/24/2021 at 7:18 AM, Randall Ries said:

What are you submitting? Modern junk to get your 9.8's? Or books that are actually worth something? There seems to be a clash of cultures going on here. You seem to have sent in almost 1,000 books that are likely worth zip while someone else sent in one Avengers #4 he would like to get back before he dies.

That is certainly your privilege, but I would postulate it is dealers that send in 1,000 books at a time per month that probably aren't important to anyone except them and their income while actually valuable and collectable books are getting damaged, suffering interminable wait times or both just so dealers don't have to go get a real job.

I guess I don't have too much sympathy for dealers who flood a grading company with brand new drek that will never be worth diddly at 1,000 submissions per month per dealer. It would seem as though they are the main problem with TAT if this is actually the case.

Thats the opposite of what I do.   Most of the time my submissions are from pre-1990.

After 2000 they need to be worth it.  aka Walking Dead #1, Batman 608 RRP's, Ultimate Fallout #4.

Income wise what I submit usually makes sense unless I missed something on the grading which rarely happens.

What privilege are you referring to?

On 11/29/2021 at 5:36 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I don't understand your logic.

Most of the time people submit books that should not be in holders whether its 100 books or 1.  

Especially mine

I'm trying to wonder if my April 28th magazine economy will be done before it falls off my list for being there too long. 

On 11/27/2021 at 3:50 PM, Bob Troub said:

Aaaaand this is the problem.......100's of sellers sending in 1000's of books......

Ummmm no.  The problem is people sending in garbage. CGC does not have 100's (key word) of sellers mailing in 1000's of books per month or even per year.  

Let me ask you.  Let say a seller sends in 100 books per month and those books each yield $200-400 each after grading.  How is that a problem for the seller?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 11/28/2021 at 9:22 AM, thehumantorch said:

Sorry, CGC was created to grade and slab comics.  They are a business and their goal is to expand and make more money.  Expanding to grading magazines and cards, charging less to grade lower value books, the constant signature opportunities, are all deliberate choices to increase submissions and revenue.

Yup CGC was created to make money. 

The one and only reason.

If CGC was worried about their submission levels, they wouldn't keep adding signing events. The submission backlog is not a problem for them. They do not care. Sure, there are a lot of folks getting surly, here on the boards and elsewhere, but as of this moment the submissions and money keep rolling in, more than enough to blot out the cries of those affected by long TAT's. Maybe at some point it will get so bad that they'd actually notice a drop-off in submissions, and therefore a threat to their bottom line, but as long as books keep coming in, they're not going to make any changes. So they'll keep taking books, and keep announcing events, and it'll just get longer and longer.

And why would they care what kinds of books are coming in? They are here to grade and slab books. The moment when folks started sending in "drek" to get graded was a godsend for CGC! Books no longer had to be seen as valuable to be graded. Anything could be graded! And should be! The registry is an example of that very way of thinking. Many people paying crazy prices for books that are otherwise worthless outside of a 9.8 slab, because they "gotta complete their set!"

I don't care. I don't mind. I'm also not subbing anymore, not that I ever did much. People should collect, and therefore slab, whatever they like, and any judgments of whether or not they're worthy are ridiculous. If it fits in the holder, you can slab it. End of story. But I'm curious to sit on the sidelines and see just how bad TATs can get before anything actually changes. What's the longest you're willing to wait for your book? A year? TWO? We may see it before too long.