• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout a history lesson for the new guys.
6 6

252 posts in this topic

That's an age-old issue as well. You buy a 9.0 raw...It's got some NCB creases... maybe a little waviness. You take it home, bag it and double board it in a mylites2 inside a mylar with an ultra-smooth acid-free backing board (instead of a backing board with texture). Then you put it into an absolutely solid block of comics for 15 years in a dark closet. Rock solid. Even the box is a solid box with no give. 

15 years later, that book comes out looking better than it did when it went in. It's flat. Did you just restore that book? Because you just pressed it in a rudimentary fashion didn't you? Or does pressing always include heat?

On 11/4/2021 at 11:08 PM, sckao said:

That's an age-old issue as well. You buy a 9.0 raw...It's got some NCB creases... maybe a little waviness. You take it home, bag it and double board it in a mylites2 inside a mylar with an ultra-smooth acid-free backing board (instead of a backing board with texture). Then you put it into an absolutely solid block of comics for 15 years in a dark closet. Rock solid. Even the box is a solid box with no give. 

15 years later, that book comes out looking better than it did when it went in. It's flat. Did you just restore that book? Because you just pressed it in a rudimentary fashion didn't you? Or does pressing always include heat?

5AB5A540-F3C4-4A8D-9C5F-C6A8A2534E40.gif.4fa9b02d24c1177e52d7c70a3b434c51.gif

Some dealers are also professional pressers... So if you know this, and you see them set up an Conventions, you have to realize their entire inventory may be pressed and include RAW books. The game is lost already.

Edited by sckao

On 11/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, oakman29 said:

CGC should have a label for pressed books that they themselves pressed. Let's see how that works out.

Yes, but then people would just press professionally BEFORE sending to CGC, and it would be REALLY hard to uncover that.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, sckao said:

It's just a theoretical... You probably shouldn't buy any raw books either probably because they could be pressed but be rejected by a pre-screen. (shrug)

The chain of custody is hard to prove.

Hence the reason I only buy OO & warehouse books (thumbsu

And with raw books, I know an unpressed book when I see one. :smile:

On 11/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, oakman29 said:

CGC should have a label for pressed books that they themselves pressed. Let's see how that works out.

Are you a collector?  I ask because I'm curious how you avoid pressing.   Do you only buy from the "wild"?

On 11/4/2021 at 8:20 PM, Joe Peck said:

Are you a collector?  I ask because I'm curious how you avoid pressing.   Do you only buy from the "wild"?

I've been a collector for 45 years, and I buy from just a handful of people that I know who and what they are about. So yes i avoid pressing just fine.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:55 PM, kav said:

Heat and pressure change paper and ink.  Oakman is right.  For all we know as decades pass the pressed books will start degrading.  Ink fade and browning/brittling.

Is it possible for pressed defects to come back? Honest question I've been curious about. Like can the paper that had a bend or crease "revert" or anything?

On 11/4/2021 at 9:14 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Is it possible for pressed defects to come back? Honest question I've been curious about. Like can the paper that had a bend or crease "revert" or anything?

I've heard it can, something to do with "memory", although the press is supposed to revert the paper to its initial manufacture memory

Pressing has been around for over 40 years... according to CGC's website. That's four decades. It should be easy to detect degradation if it is happening shouldn't it?  (shrug)  There are many laboratories who can do the required analyses. (Instead of all this speculation.)

CCS Pressing | CGC (cgccomics.com)

image.png

On 11/4/2021 at 10:21 PM, JazzMan said:

What has changed on these boards over the last 20+ years?  Greggy used to post long and elaborate posts that took up many, many paragraphs at times and were very insightful into the hobby.  Now, in his old age, he usually replies with an emoji or "That's what she said".  Thank goodness the days of Strawberry Shortcake are in the past.

he said all he needed to say and now he's retired from talking.