• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout a history lesson for the new guys.
6 6

252 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 11:18 AM, shadroch said:

Shill fight would be more accurate.  It amazes me, even after all these years, that people don't have the balls to say things under their own names. Do they think coming on as an obvious shill is going to make their point stronger?

I'm a shill? How so? Is Shawn Everidge not my name? News to me.

Re: History Lessons... well, as I remember it, back in the day, seems you couldn’t start a new post about any topic without it turning into a pressing post.

The more things change and all that.

On 11/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

I’ve got no problem with pressing. It’s not restoration to me. 

Can you please help me understand how removing a NCB bend/crease and restoring a comic to its former state isn’t......

Restoration????

What would you call the removal of downgradable defects?

On 11/5/2021 at 9:08 AM, ramrodcar said:

I took the first part of your comment as you being sour that pressing is not restoration (and should be). My point is that I think we can all probably agree that a book being in heat/humidity/pressure without a press for days, weeks, years is not restoration. The method in which a book is subjected to heat/humidity/pressure is arbitrary.

You can justify it a number of ways when it serves ones ultimate goals,  cant you?

This is getting kind of into the weeds...

So if you find an Action Comics #1 in a chest in an attic and it is COVERED WITH DUST and lint and whatever from being there close to 83 years, you cannot blow it off without it being restoration? You basically cannot alter its condition or restore anything that could detract from the grade it would be given in its current state?

(Just a theoretical...)

On 11/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, KrabbyDaddy said:

Anything you do to a comic without mechanical/chemical assistance should be fine.

So mechanical, that means a proper press, or does it include stacking phone books on a comic

I think it was considered restoration until CGC was established as a grading company and realized they could not reliably detect it... That essentially it would be impossible to prove. A company has to stake its claim on things it can do, not what it can't.

Edited by sckao

Restoration wasn't considered a bad thing until CGC decided to use a different label and a bunch of obsessive comic geeks decided to call it the purple label of doom and over-reacted to it. Try explaining to an outsider why a single dot of touchup on a cover makes the book worth 85% less. 

Edited by shadroch

On 11/5/2021 at 12:57 PM, KrabbyDaddy said:

That's the "I drank the CGC Kool Aid" answer. If what you say were true PCS wouldn't have been secret and require an NDA.

Plus there was a huge thread by Zaid when Overstreet changed this definition under pressure from CGC. CGC had it planned since Day 1.

Elaborate, with links if possible 

Pressing was around before CGC came into existence... and the restoration industry was alive and well in other artistic and cultural areas both to preserve and to restore art. Both have been co-opted to an extent in the pursuit of money. Does this detract from the purpose of comic books or the art itself? Not really. You can still enjoy the content... just not the collectability.

The fact that it may have been planned does not mean that they can detect it or prove it when someone else does it. They can only give their considered expert opinion and that may not be secure enough in the case of pressing. (They clearly aren't willing to verify unwitnessed signatures officially although I realize there have been irregularities in the SS system where people try to game the system.)

I definitely don't believe it's secure

I'm sure there are markers for when someone uses heat or humidity to press, I doubt it's possible to determine if a press or just a wall of books were used