• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do comics start ever start going up for no apparent reason?
3 3

62 posts in this topic

Somebody else pointed out that the likely reason Secret Wars #3 is going up is the first appearance of Titania, but the good reason that should drive that book is Spider-Man single-handedly and believably mops the floor with the X-Men in it. It’s some of the best-written use of Spidey powers ever. (thumbsu

I believe the young generation is aggressive to grab many key issues as much as they can.  They may throw their money for anything that has the potential money-wise or value.  They gamble but I do gamble sometimes but I don't do the extreme thing or double in price.

Right now, all key issues are scarce and tough right now.   I used enjoying buying many great books included some key issues at the estate sales for ten years but this year, I don't see anything valuable in those comic books anymore. I am more likely to be shut out for the first time.

This is apparent no reason for being aggressive that may put us out of fun for being a long while.

Edited by JollyComics

Kav is fiesty. I wonder if I will ever rile him up and how I’ll respond? Probably with a grin:)

On topic, Do comics increase in price for no reason? Well there always some reason. Nostalgia kicks in after x number of years, movie/tv show rumours/appearances, great artist on cover, inflation….there is always a reason.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, Qalyar said:

Is that a "reason"? Well, not in the same way that "Marvel announces Paste Pot Pete film" would spike the price of Strange Tales 104, anyway.

I could see Daniel Day-Lewis as Pete. Perfect vehicle for him. :wishluck:

Old Comic Book money may think $300 is crazy for that Secret Wars #3 because of the historical charts and previous valuations, but New Comic Book money may simply not care. They may just want the comic and it's available. (New Comic Book money being someone who is perhaps wealthy from some other sector, but is now looking back at their childhood and re-assembling it in high grade.)

There doesn't need to be a reason really.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:14 AM, sckao said:

Old Comic Book money may think $300 is crazy for that Secret Wars #3 because of the historical charts and previous valuations, but New Comic Book money may simply not care. They may just want the comic and it's available. (New Comic Book money being someone who is perhaps wealthy from some other sector, but is now looking back at their childhood and re-assembling it in high grade.)

Always a reason and you just gave one. Books I bought for years have popped. No rumor or tv show. They were undervalued and someone other than me realized this, then more people came along. Prices won't increase until there is a change in supply and or demand. 

Or it could be an anomaly. I've been using GPA a LOT to help me identify books I didn't know were actually worth anything... (I've been away from the comic scene), and I've come across several anomalies. One is X-Men Annual #1 (1992). There is ONE sale in 2021 for $366 in 9.8 that skews the entire GPA chart and makes it seem like a hot book. But one sale does not a hot book make...(shrug)  There is a distinct LACK of sales for this annual even though it has a pretty decent Jim Lee cover. (There are only 11 slabbed copies in 9.8 which is not a lot... but more than #2.)

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by sckao

On 11/7/2021 at 12:14 AM, sckao said:

I’m tellin’ ya … worth every penny of $300 to see Spidey kick the outta the X-Men! :cloud9:

On 11/6/2021 at 10:48 PM, Qalyar said:

At the risk of de-derailing this thread by accidentally responding to the original question ... it depends what you consider a "reason".

One of the series I collect pretty aggressively is a low print run indie. In the last two years, I've watched actually-sold prices for 9.8 slabs of #1 go from the $120 range to a recent auction sale well over $300. There's no external reason for this book to double in price. There's no imminent film or Netflix show or the like (it's been optioned forever, in development hell; while I expect an adaptation someday, that's not within the horizon). It's likely that there's simply two or three collectors who have taken interest in the series and so are putting price pressure on the fairly thin supply of high grade copies.

Is that a "reason"? Well, not in the same way that "Marvel announces Paste Pot Pete film" would spike the price of Strange Tales 104, anyway.

Thanks for the info.  That's exactly what I was curious about.  Examples of increases for no obvious reason.  Again this goes towards answering my question as to whether or not a group of quality comics can end up being an investment like traditional art.

Edited by Joe Peck

To me, this is an interesting question. Sometimes, like with Secret Wars #3, a little digging will reveal a reason. Other times, our explanations are really post facto rationalizations.

We can say (as was mentioned above) that a book started to rise because it is rare - but there are lots of rare books that don’t rise.

Similarly, we often start to talk about “classic covers” driving prices. But this is ALWAYS a rationalization of rising prices after the fact. Nobody goes to a Diamond Previews solicitation to see the publisher announce that issue #57 will be produced with a classic cover…

In the end it seems to me that - sometimes - the market moves in mysterious ways, and in these instances we generate “after the fact” explanations.

Some books are tied together, like bronze Marvel monster keys... if first Moon Knight goes up, it drags up Blade, Ghost Rider, Werewolf, because people think those have become relative bargains.  First Punisher acted the same way when Hulk 181 was first flirting with $1000 guide price.

Facebook and eBay help as well.  If people are watching a book that they think is too high, and someone buys it, that legitimizes a higher price for some potential buyers.  Suddenly, there's a run on that book, and other people think "hmm... why is that book hot?  I should find a few just in case..."

In your case, Secret Wars 3 and 7 are easier to explain: first Titania (and Volcana) in 3, full reveal of Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman in 7.  Speculators be speculating...

On 11/6/2021 at 9:37 PM, Joe Peck said:

Glad to hear you do have some fun in life.  Here's my daughter.  She's brought a lot of joy to my life, but sadly she took her convertible with her to her new job in California, so no more top down driving for me :(

conv.jpg

Is she an ivy league grad? I heard some schools teach about comics in their textbooks

On 11/6/2021 at 9:56 PM, Poekaymon said:

Alright here it is.  The most bizarre thing I've seen on this forum.

Keep in mind that you are still kind of new.

Wait... just wait... it gets more and more bizarre... 

On 11/7/2021 at 10:18 AM, Wolverinex said:

Is she an ivy league grad? I heard some schools teach about comics in their textbooks

Funny guess. Dartmouth. My son is there now, and I went way back in '88.  Sadly, she didn't have much to say when I told her I added comic collecting to my list of hobbies.  She's a little more sensible than her dad :) 

Just read the Secret Wars 3.  Great story!  Thinking I should fill in the string now.

Edited by Joe Peck