• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokemon Advice
1 1

8 posts in this topic

First post over here in the card forum and looking for advice. 

My son just turned 9 and is a huge Pokémon fan.  He's accumulated thousands of cards, watches the old school show,  and the kid at the comic shop actually taught us how to play the game,  so we play allot. A few times a week.  

Anyway,  I'm a comic collector and was thinking it would be nice to get him some collectible cards he can save and take care of as a Christmas present. 

Let's say anywhere from $50 to $100... Charzard is his favorite character and I would love to get something from the 90s because he loves the history.  

I'm open to buying him a few... what should I be looking for? How do I identify the original series? 

Also, I'm looking for something cgc graded,  because it will give him the sense its a collectible. I don't want this mixed in with thousands of other cards.  

Edited by KCOComics

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. 

I'm going to expand my budget a little and get him a variety of cards that he'll love.  I will probably look for some original Japanese ones because I'm sure he will think that's really cool. 

Again, thank you for all the advice and feedback! 

Along with a Japanese Blaine's Charizard, a Japanese Dark Charizard from Rocket Gang can be had for a lower price also. Also a Japanese Neo 2 reverse holo. These are all safe options IMO that won't lose value over time and can be found for relatively low prices right now.

Hi All,

Similar question to the original poster but older kid. He is 21  - what box of current Pokemon cards should I purchase as a Christmas present? Happy to purchase premium box

(I am a comic collector and have zero clue about Pokemon

Thanks in advance

On 12/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, MV said:

Hi All,

Similar question to the original poster but older kid. He is 21  - what box of current Pokemon cards should I purchase as a Christmas present? Happy to purchase premium box

(I am a comic collector and have zero clue about Pokemon

Thanks in advance

@poke_naynay helped me out allot.

I ended up buying a handful of cards from him.  He was knowledgeable, had a great selection, answered all my annoying questions and was awesome to work with. 

I wouldn't hesitate doing business with him again.