• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uk price variant
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2021 at 6:36 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

You've got some crackers in there Wiff. A Spidey pence run is a lovely thing to behold. 

If selling is your intention, I'd give 30th Century Comics a call and see what they could do for you. There are a lot of vultures out there, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, but they are trustworthy chaps and I think they would be more than happy to market / sell the keys for you.

Condition is a massive factor when it comes to value, and you have some lower grade copies there it seems, but it looks like there are some nice mid grades books too. You can post some pictures here...

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

...to get an idea of condition if you'd like the input from the experienced graders here. The more pictures, the better - front, back, interior. Note any missing pagers / cut coupons / writing.

All in all, a wonderful thing to have found. Wonderful comics if you love them and with the added bonus of being worth a bomb if you don't.

Post some pictures of the westerns if you can. They have much less value than the super hero books, but I love to see pence copies of them :)

Thanks for the advise. Think I'll do a bit more research. 

You've got some crackers in there Wiff. A Spidey pence run is a lovely thing to behold. 

If selling is your intention, I'd give 30th Century Comics a call and see what they could do for you. There are a lot of vultures out there, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, but they are trustworthy chaps and I think they would be more than happy to market / sell the keys for you.

Condition is a massive factor when it comes to value, and you have some lower grade copies there it seems, but it looks like there are some nice mid grades books too. You can post some pictures here...

...to get an idea of condition if you'd like the input from the experienced graders here. The more pictures, the better - front, back, interior. Note any missing pagers / cut coupons / writing.

All in all, a wonderful thing to have found. Wonderful comics if you love them and with the added bonus of being worth a bomb if you don't.

Post some pictures of the westerns if you can. They have much less value than the super hero books, but I love to see pence copies of them :)

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll do a bit more research.

Thanks for the advise. Think I'll do a bit more research. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:19 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It should be quite exciting on the day. There's nothing quite like the buzz in the room when a lot takes off is there. Good luck if you're bidding Lips. 

Yeah it’s great. 
I’ll be bidding on some of the lots but nothing at too big money with Xmas around the corner. 
I’ll be intently watching though the AF15, IH1 and FF1. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:27 PM, The lips said:

AF15, IH1 and FF1. 

Imagine them as a Christmas present. Just edge the socks, wouldn't they :bigsmile:

On 11/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, Wiffy said:

Thanks all. I'll probably try and do a bit more research on them and get a few more graded before deciding what to do. 

I'll put the yacht on hold for the time being. 

I'll try and get some more pictures up when I can.

Good man Wiff. If money's not an issue, keeping some of the keys as an investment would be something to consider too. Have fun with the research. 

A few of the Westerns for you.

20211109_210554.jpg

20211109_210451.jpg

20211109_210431.jpg

20211109_210325.jpg

20211109_205821.jpg

20211109_205905.jpg

20211109_205943.jpg

20211109_210116.jpg

Nothing with a hand stamped price is a UK variant.  Those are North American/Canadian versions that happened to be sold in the UK.

Out of curiosity, would you be so kind as to check the covers of the Thor Annual #1 - I'd like to know whether or not they're blank or have the US ads.  Thanks in advance.

On 11/10/2021 at 12:08 AM, pemart1966 said:

Nothing with a hand stamped price is a UK variant.  Those are North American/Canadian versions that happened to be sold in the UK.

Out of curiosity, would you be so kind as to check the covers of the Thor Annual #1 - I'd like to know whether or not they're blank or have the US ads.  Thanks in advance.

Apologies if I've caused confusion ( I'm not that clued up on this subject) The Thor Annual I referred to in the list is the one in the picture. It's actually The Journey into Mystery/Thor. My bad.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:35 AM, Wiffy said:

Apologies if I've caused confusion ( I'm not that clued up on this subject) The Thor Annual I referred to in the list is the one in the picture. It's actually The Journey into Mystery/Thor. My bad.

The 1965 JIM is 'Thor annual #1' in all but name Wiff, don't worry. And your copy is a UK Price Variant, with a Thorpe & Porter UK price stamp on it. Quite common for that issue. It won't have a Canadian interior @pemart1966

On 11/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, Wiffy said:

A few pictures. Too many to get them all in.

20211108_181252.jpg

On 11/9/2021 at 2:52 AM, Wiffy said:

Hello all. I've recently found 300+ in my parents attic. All are from the early/mid 60s. There are a few key issues in there. I am based in the UK and from what I can see most are the UK price variant. I've looked a few up and know that they are worth quite a bit of money. All I wanted to ask was is there a market for the UK priced comic in the U.S and is the value any different? 

Thanks.

IMHO, I would get the following books graded:

JiM #85 (any grade), JiM #89 (4.0 or higher)
IH #5  and IH #6 (any grade)
ST #110 (any grade)
ASM Annual #1 (any grade), ASM Annual #2 (6.0 or higher)
FF Annual #2 (4.0 or higher)
Thor Annual #1 (3.0 or higher)
ST Annual #1 (6.0 or higher)
ASM #3, #4, #6, #9, #13, #14, #17 (any grade), #39, #40 (6.0 or higher)
FF #18, #19 (2.5 or higher)
XM #12 (any grade), #14 (5.0 or higher)

I am not sure about the Western issues, but I am sure someone else could help with that.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 11/10/2021 at 2:55 PM, Math Teacher said:

I am not sure about the Western issues, but I am sure someone else could help with that.

There's nothing there really worth it in my opinion - even the TGK #77 (Blank Panther prototype) isn't high enough to warrant the expense.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:42 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

The 1965 JIM is 'Thor annual #1' in all but name Wiff, don't worry. And your copy is a UK Price Variant, with a Thorpe & Porter UK price stamp on it. Quite common for that issue. It won't have a Canadian interior @pemart1966

Yes - the Thor Annual IS a UK variant due to the PRINTED 1/6 price.  The hand stamp is an added bonus ;)

Tx for the info re the interior.  I assume then that it has the regular ads?

On 11/10/2021 at 3:53 PM, pemart1966 said:

Tx for the info re the interior.  I assume then that it has the regular ads?

Yes, only the cover price differs

On 11/10/2021 at 2:55 PM, Math Teacher said:

IMHO, I would get the following books graded:

JiM #85 (any grade), JiM #89 (4.0 or higher)
IH #5  and IH #6 (any grade)
ST #110 (any grade)
ASM Annual #1 (any grade), ASM Annual #2 (6.0 or higher)
FF Annual #2 (4.0 or higher)
Thor Annual #1 (3.0 or higher)
ST Annual #1 (6.0 or higher)
ASM #3, #4, #6, #9, #13, #14, #17 (any grade), #39, #40 (6.0 or higher)
FF #18, #19 (2.5 or higher)
XM #12 (any grade), #14 (5.0 or higher)

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at those ones to see what condition they are in. Hopefully going to send about 10 off to be graded in the next week. 

On 11/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, Wiffy said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at those ones to see what condition they are in. Hopefully going to send about 10 off to be graded in the next week. 

Agree - CGC has an office in london you can submit through as well. They also offer pressing and cleaning services which will give you a chance for better grades!

On 11/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, A.K. - SilverAgeComicsUK said:

Agree - CGC has an office in london you can submit through as well. They also offer pressing and cleaning services which will give you a chance for better grades!

Great thanks. Don't know too much about it but perhaps if I put a few pictures up then someone could let me know which ones are worth pressing or cleaning????

On 11/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, Wiffy said:

Great thanks. Don't know too much about it but perhaps if I put a few pictures up then someone could let me know which ones are worth pressing or cleaning????

Tbh the list above is pretty accurate. Every book over £500 I would press and clean send me a message with any questions

On 11/10/2021 at 8:12 PM, A.K. - SilverAgeComicsUK said:

Tbh the list above is pretty accurate. Every book over £500 I would press and clean send me a message with any questions

I'll get those ones out and I'll be in touch. Thanks.