• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just When You Think CGC Has Hit Bottom...They Drop Even Further!
5 5

105 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 8:40 PM, Dr. Dank said:
On 11/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, William-James88 said:

While there are more accidents happening (from what I am reading), there is also way more being sent in than ever before. So I wonder if the error percentage has increased or stayed the same. 

This

I suck at math, maybe @valiantman can conjure something up

This is one of those math word problems we had in school where the answer is:   D)  Not enough information. :foryou:

On 11/10/2021 at 5:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

It's getting worse from what I see. 

It sucks that something like that has happened.  The problem is in the encapsulation room.  There are too many instances where people are submitting books that are getting graded 9.4 or better. Yet, after they are being graded they suffer damage at some point.  The graders cannot be missing similar damage or consistently missing things in the grading process so it must be happening after the grading process. 

For the comics to suffer the same damage the consensus has been that something is up in encapsulation. 

It reminds me of watching those Gordon Ramsey restaurant shows where the food can be mishandled when it arrives (oldest isn't processed first), the waiter could write the order down wrong (data entry, labels), the kitchen could have Gordon Ramsey himself watching the chefs do a fantastic job (grading), and then the server can drop it on the way to the table (encapsulation and shipping) or take the perfect finished product to the wrong person.

It's not Gordon Ramsey's personal fault since his hands-on portion in the kitchen (grading) was perfect - but if he also hired incompetence in the kitchen stockroom, food prep, waiters, and servers, then yeah, it is his (management's) fault.

Edited by valiantman

On 11/11/2021 at 9:32 AM, shadroch said:

The entire chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

AMAZING PSIDER-MAN #300... hmm, looks like we've never graded this before.  Nothing matches in the data entry.  Better enter it as a new record. :banana:

On 11/11/2021 at 10:26 AM, valiantman said:

It reminds me of watching those Gordon Ramsey restaurant shows where the food can be mishandled when it arrives (oldest isn't processed first), the kitchen could have Gordon Ramsey himself watching the chefs do a fantastic job (grading), and then the waiter can drop it on the way to the table (encapsulation and shipping) or take the perfect finished product to the wrong person.

It's not Gordon Ramsey's personal fault since his hands-on portion in the kitchen (grading) was perfect - but if he also hired incompetence in the kitchen stockroom, food prep, and waiters, then yeah, it is his (management's) fault.

I agree with you. 

It's a shame though.  Because the graders ARE doing their part.  Then you have a substantial amount of messages out there saying, "How did CGC grading let this slip by?"  They obviously didn't. 

I have seen people on facebook complaining though saying that CGC's response to claims was that they graded the book that they received and that the damage might have been there before grading.

From CGC's standpoint that is a very poor way to handle it, if they are indeed saying that, as it is basically saying that their graders are missing obvious flaws.   There are too many flaws to assume the graders are missing them.  There are problems in the encapsulation process and I agree that it is a management issue. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 11/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, blazingbob said:

There are a lot of people out there that think their comics are lovingly caressed throughout the grading process.  Has anybody spent a few hours opening packages from other sellers?  Are you lovingly caressing that package when unwrapping the 50th piece of tape to get the book out?  Multiply that by hundreds of packages you are opening.  Handover to the guy entering the data.  Stacks of books waiting to get verified and processed.  Books transferred to the vaults where they are put into boxes.  Eventually they are removed and put into carts to the graders where maybe they are lovingly caressed.  After that it is back into the McDonald's pay scale factory process.  

So you’re saying comics are handled like this…

On 11/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, shadroch said:

Perhaps CGC can introduce a special "White Glove" service where their employees will treat  collectible comics as a collectibles and not  slabs of bacon.

Give the books a kool new label and charge 50% more. 

40BF0FF9-1A4A-4E6B-9E3F-54FDE0815705.jpeg

Its always the same damage-corner impacts.  This should be a snap to nail down.  NTSB could figure something like this out in minutes.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, blazingbob said:

There are a lot of people out there that think their comics are lovingly caressed throughout the grading process.  Has anybody spent a few hours opening packages from other sellers?  Are you lovingly caressing that package when unwrapping the 50th piece of tape to get the book out?  Multiply that by hundreds of packages you are opening.  Handover to the guy entering the data.  Stacks of books waiting to get verified and processed.  Books transferred to the vaults where they are put into boxes.  Eventually they are removed and put into carts to the graders where maybe they are lovingly caressed.  After that it is back into the McDonald's pay scale factory process.  

All this ^^^^^ up there and a bag of chips. 

On 11/11/2021 at 9:26 AM, valiantman said:

It reminds me of watching those Gordon Ramsey restaurant shows where the food can be mishandled when it arrives (oldest isn't processed first), the waiter could write the order down wrong (data entry, labels), the kitchen could have Gordon Ramsey himself watching the chefs do a fantastic job (grading), and then the server can drop it on the way to the table (encapsulation and shipping) or take the perfect finished product to the wrong person.

It's not Gordon Ramsey's personal fault since his hands-on portion in the kitchen (grading) was perfect - but if he also hired incompetence in the kitchen stockroom, food prep, waiters, and servers, then yeah, it is his (management's) fault.

p89588_p_v10_ac.jpg.f703926054ee73cbb91d4b56ef04275a.jpg