• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 361
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Hello! This is my first time ever using this forum, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I was wondering if I could get some input on this copy of ASM #361. I apologize for the glare, but it's the only place I have to take decent photos of my comics. Also, the last photo is of the interior pages. They all have some nicks at the bottom that I believe are from the printing process. Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

ASM361_01.jpg

ASM361_02.jpg

ASM361_03.jpg

ASM361_04.jpg

ASM361_05.jpg

ASM361_06.jpg

ASM361_07.jpg

ASM361_08.jpg

ASM361_09.jpg

ASM361_10.jpg

ASM361_11.jpg

ASM361_12.jpg

ASM361_13 copy.jpg

Yes, you've made a huge mistake!!!  YOU have that comic, not me!!!  What the hell were you thinking posting that here??!!

I'm kidding, of course.  That's my informal board welcome to you. lol:roflmao:

I can see a 9.4 out of this after a press.  9.6 isn't out of the question, though it might be tough.

Again, welcome!!! :1514325239_yeehawemoji:

I'm thinking a 9.4 or a weak 9.6. 

Book keeps sinking in price. Supply and demand eventually rules supreme - figures just after I get my purchased when new copy back from CGC.  At NYCC some "unscrupulous" vendors were trying to get 2k  for 9.8's - and may have. They had "fancy" tables covered in black linen w/near professional lighting setup-ups. Only books they had were' ASM 361, ASM 300, Spawn 1  as far as eye could see on their wall plus both 9.6's and 9.8's of Star Wars 1 and Batman Adventures 1st Harlequin. They were asking 3-6x over what was then going rate on eBay for everything. 

Wonder how many of those purchasing are now glad to have a Spawn 1 at 1k which  it's the most populous 9.8 book on the CGC census.There are 11000 copies and growing in 9.8 - let that sink in in 11 THOUSAND in 9.8 and increasing.  Or 1000 for ASM 361 in 9.6. PT Barnum was right :)

Edited by MAR1979

9.2, maybe 9.4 because of color breaking wear at top spine corner and 3/16" slightly color breaking crease bottom left corner of back cover, plus color flecks along the top edge of the front cover near and at the upper right corner.   If there is a light bend at the top left back cover, then I would say solid 9.2.  The interior tears are production related and probably won't cause much of a hit because of that.  

Edited by FFB

On 11/15/2021 at 4:30 PM, MAR1979 said:

I'm thinking a 9.4 or a weak 9.6. 

Book keeps sinking in price. Supply and demand eventually rules supreme - figures just after I get my purchased when new copy back from CGC.  At NYCC some "unscrupulous" vendors were trying to get 2k  for 9.8's - and may have. They had "fancy" tables covered in black linen w/near professional lighting setup-ups. Only books they had were' ASM 361, ASM 300, Spawn 1  as far as eye could see on their wall plus both 9.6's and 9.8's of Star Wars 1 and Batman Adventures 1st Harlequin. They were asking 3-6x over what was then going rate on eBay for everything. 

Wonder how many of those purchasing are now glad to have a Spawn 1 at 1k which  it's the most populous 9.8 book on the CGC census.There are 11000 copies and growing in 9.8 - let that sink in in 11 THOUSAND in 9.8 and increasing.  Or 1000 for ASM 361 in 9.6. PT Barnum was right :)

Honestly I'm just trying to get a better understanding of grading, and this seemed like a fairly sharp copy that I got a pretty good deal on a year or two back. I was actually expecting folks to say 9.6 or possibly 9.8, but reading the comments has been really helpful in getting me to better understand how high-end grading works since I tend to buy mid-grade books because I'm not really concerned with grade that much.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:06 PM, Yale Stewart said:

Honestly I'm just trying to get a better understanding of grading, and this seemed like a fairly sharp copy that I got a pretty good deal on a year or two back. I was actually expecting folks to say 9.6 or possibly 9.8, but reading the comments has been really helpful in getting me to better understand how high-end grading works since I tend to buy mid-grade books because I'm not really concerned with grade that much.

we tend to be on the conservative side when estimating a grade.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, Funnybooks said:

we tend to be on the conservative side when estimating a grade.

Which makes 100% sense! I definitely want to clarify that I'm not disappointed or sour, I hope I didn't come across that way. I find it a really valuable learning experience, as evidenced by what I was thinking versus what folks have been saying.

On 11/15/2021 at 7:12 PM, Yale Stewart said:

Which makes 100% sense! I definitely want to clarify that I'm not disappointed or sour, I hope I didn't come across that way. I find it a really valuable learning experience, as evidenced by what I was thinking versus what folks have been saying.

Not at all. It's what we do. I've learned much through the years from the other members of the forum.

Those printing marks should not affect much. I have seen a 9.6 with the same printing "holes" at the bottom and even into the cover. The miswrap on top of that (for me anyway) should mean no 9.8 and might negate a 9.6 (I know printing stuff technically shouldn't affect grades but with CGC I feel like sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't). 

I do see some pressable indents. As is, I think it is 9.2-9.4, with a press maybe ensuring a 9.4. 

On 11/15/2021 at 4:06 PM, Yale Stewart said:

You should buy the current edition of the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics.  It's on Amazon and sold in many comic stores.  There is no better way to learn to grade than reading that book and referring to it often.  Especially read the section on how to grade a comic book.  It's a short essay on everything you should be checking when you grade a book.  

Edited by FFB

On 11/16/2021 at 9:32 PM, FFB said:

You should buy the current edition of the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics.  It's on Amazon and sold in many comic stores.  There is no better way to learn to grade than reading that book and referring to it often.  Especially read the section on how to grade a comic book.  It's a short essay on everything you should be checking when you grade a book.  

I've actually been meaning to pick that up, but it's also helpful to have a variety of examples to look at like there are here on the boards.