• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue label with Signature

10 posts in this topic

Hello!

I heard that you can request a blue label for a book with a previous signature. However how would that affect the grade?

For example I believe this book is a 9.6 - 9.8, but if I ask for a blue label will it receive a 9.0 or lower because of the "marker on cover?"

If I submit as a green label, will I get the 9.6ish still with the note "name on cover?"

Thanks in advance!
"

On 11/15/2021 at 10:59 PM, DH12 said:

Hello!

I heard that you can request a blue label for a book with a previous signature. However how would that affect the grade?

For example I believe this book is a 9.6 - 9.8, but if I ask for a blue label will it receive a 9.0 or lower because of the "marker on cover?"

If I submit as a green label, will I get the 9.6ish still with the note "name on cover?"

Thanks in advance!
"

it depends on the placement, neatness, size of the signature, and the grade of the book without the sig.  Obviously, the higher the grade, the larger the likely impact. 

you can consider posting in the 'hey buddy can you spare a grade' subforum and solicit opinions from board members on the grade for your book, you gotta post pictures of course.

as for the green label, i suggest you look on ebay at the various examples to see the possible outcomes (I don't think the result is 100% consistent). 

good luck.

Most or all green labels I seen tell you the reason for the green label. I'd rather buy a green label so I know the grade of the book vs trying to guess how much of a deduction is from the writing and how much from damage. 

On 11/16/2021 at 1:59 AM, DH12 said:

1. I'm not sure if I have seen a hit that hard before, but it is possible.
  2. Yes.

I've had both come back in the past (Blue and Green label) and it can vary. Can't find the details but recall if it's below a certain grade, a signature won't affect the grade and more famous recognizable signatures, Stan Lee, John Romita Sr., etc. will be called out by "name" but others will be "Name on Cover"

Two examples - Spiderman 50 signed by John Romita, Blue label with name called out at 5.0. Thanos Quest signed by Jim Starlin, Green label with name on cover called out at 9.4.

Spiderman 50 Full.png

Thanos Quest 1.jpg

On 11/17/2021 at 10:22 AM, rexinnih said:

I've had both come back in the past (Blue and Green label) and it can vary. Can't find the details but recall if it's below a certain grade, a signature won't affect the grade and more famous recognizable signatures, Stan Lee, John Romita Sr., etc. will be called out by "name" but others will be "Name on Cover"

Two examples - Spiderman 50 signed by John Romita, Blue label with name called out at 5.0. Thanos Quest signed by Jim Starlin, Green label with name on cover called out at 9.4.

Spiderman 50 Full.png

Thanos Quest 1.jpg

I would much rather have a Thanos Quest with blue label 9.2 than a green label 9.4.  I think prices would be better realized with blue universal labels rather than green. 

On 11/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, rexinnih said:

Spiderman 50 Full.png

Thanos Quest 1.jpg

Those are perfect examples. The grade on the Spidey #50 isn't affected much by the signature. Also, the label note on the blue label is in lower case letters while the note on the Qualified book should always be in capital letters...  

On 12/1/2021 at 11:12 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

I would much rather have a Thanos Quest with blue label 9.2 than a green label 9.4.  I think prices would be better realized with blue universal labels rather than green. 

Agree - may resend the Thanos Quest back in one day for lower grade Blue Label. I did this one in my early CGC years and didn't really know what to expect.