• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Darren Auck early works
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've come into ownership two works by Darren Auck. Works include "New Worlds" (4 copies)  and New Worlds 2 (2 copies) both published in 1978.

They were purchased by my father in probably in 1978-80 from Darren's father who he worked with.  One book is signed by Darren and reads "To Scott, Amy and Eric".  That's myself and my two siblings.

Darren would have been 17 at the time and I believe they were created as part of a high school project.  Can anyone help me establish a value for these books?

Thanks,

Eric

FYI About Darren Auck: Darren Auck is an American cartoonist, art director and teacher at the Joe Kubert School of Art. After making his first comic stories for Pacific Comics and DC Comics in the 1980s, he was a staff artist and art director at Marvel Comics, working with famous characters like The Avengers, Spider-Man and She-Hulk. He also drew Marvel's comic book series based on the Nickelodeon TV show 'Rocko's Modern Life' (1994).   

New Worlds.jpg

New Worlds 2.jpg

I spent a few minutes with GCD and Googling, as you probably did, and I haven’t been able to find any information on these. Based on the front covers, it looks like they could be either fanzines or self-published comic books. 

Given that information on them is not easy to find, it would appear that they are quite scarce.

The two things that drive the price of an item like this are scarcity and demand.  You have the scarcity angle covered. Demand, on the other hand, I’m not so sure about.  If Darren Auck were an extremely well-known and highly regarded creator, these items would have a pretty significant demand as well.  Given that Darrin Auck is not terribly well known in the industry, and has not worked on large high profile projects, it seems unlikely they would be much demand for these.

Unless there are some comparable sales out there that I have not been able to find, the only way that I know of that you could determine the value would be to put them up for auction.

Since you have multiple copies, you could offer one of each on eBay and see how it does.  If you do that, be sure to provide a thorough description and numerous photos that give potential purchasers an idea of the condition and the contents of the item they are buying. 

My best guess, based on your story and only those two photos, is that these would be unlikely to fetch more than $10 each in an auction.  However, at an auction the only thing you really need is two very interested buyers.  If you are able to attract two people who both want this pretty badly, and both recognize they may never see another one for sale, then they could bid the price up.  I don’t see that as a likely scenario, but it is possible.