• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Prices Drop Back Down?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2021 at 11:02 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Thank you! 

You and I did what a lot of collectors have done.  Found an “entry level” copy and started there.  Upgrading is fun but can be challenging now, absolutely.  I’ve definitely thought about possibly upgrading my Hulk 1, but who knows.  

Hulk 1 is the one book I would love to get this year. I've got a nice looking trimmed copy, but would love to get a non trimmed one. It's my favorite SA book and I hope to pick up one in 2022. 

On 11/18/2021 at 9:25 PM, KCOComics said:

I wouldn't say anyone is hoping for an outright crash, but these prices for big keys can be discouraging. 

If you've been collecting for a long time and decided an AF15 was your grail and had hopes to get it. At $15k for a 2.5, it would be a significant investment and maybe you had planned to sell some books and save a bit, but it was still in your atmosphere even if very expensive. 

To watch it go from $15k to $30k seemingly overnight puts it in a different atmosphere. 

So I have empathy for the long time collectors watching books they've always wanted get out of reach.  And while I'm not hoping for a crash, i wouldn't be upset to see an AF15 drop back to $10k per point.... But I'm not holding my breath. 

I recently paid $16k for my 0.5 copy of AF #15 as that’s all I could afford. Did I want to pay that much? No. But it was complete and I took it for what it was since anything higher will cost me well over $20k and I’m not looking to pay that much for such a book right now. 

Do I wish I could go back to 2 years ago when you were able to pay $400 for a mid-grade Tomb of Dracula #10 or $500 for an ASM #129? Yes, but those days are long gone and books are only gonna go up from here, especially the mega keys. 

While I do want some price dips in the much bigger books, the likely hood of that happening is slim to none as the MCU progresses along with the fact that people are putting their money into comics for investment purposes. 

Edited by Terry JSA

On 11/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, F For Fake said:

Turns out I wasn't, but $5k+ still seems like a great deal on a FF1, even if it's brittle, detached, hole-punched, etc.

How long before the market charges a grand for a comic bag containing flakes of newsprint from a key book?

Disintegrated, but otherwise complete.

Reductio ad absurdum.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/19/2021 at 3:08 AM, Ken Aldred said:

How long before the market charges a grand for a comic bag containing flakes of newsprint from a key book?

Disintegrated, but otherwise complete.

Reductio ad absurdum.

Didn’t someone already try that?  I thought it was a big auction house.  Or was it a staple supposedly from Action 1?  I can’t recall.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:22 PM, KCOComics said:

Hulk 1 is the one book I would love to get this year. I've got a nice looking trimmed copy, but would love to get a non trimmed one. It's my favorite SA book and I hope to pick up one in 2022. 

Do it.  You won’t regret it.  It is and always has been my favorite book.

On 11/18/2021 at 11:20 PM, KCOComics said:

That's one of the lessons of collecting I try to follow.  Try to create the financial flexibility to pounce when opportunities present themselves. 

This is very important to me.  It’s the reason I’ve been able to “pounce” on several books this year.  I’ve made a conscious effort over the past few years to forgo books that I just “kinda” want in hopes that something I really want comes along.  It’s also tough because I like spending money.  It’s difficult to walk out of a show sometimes, passing on nice books even if those books aren’t really what I’m looking for.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:31 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

This is very important to me.  It’s the reason I’ve been able to “pounce” on several books this year.  I’ve made a conscious effort over the past few years to forgo books that I just “kinda” want in hopes that something I really want comes along.  It’s also tough because I like spending money.  It’s difficult to walk out of a show sometimes, passing on nice books even if those books aren’t really what I’m looking for.

Meh, just open a new credit card and buy EVERYTHING !

I may end up living in a storage unit full of comic books but Ill have plenty of reading to keep me busy.

On 11/19/2021 at 4:31 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Interested to know how others think about upgrades vs picking up other books not yet in your collection.     If you could pick up 3-4 books that you “kinda want” (to maybe really want but just not to the level of “gotta have”) for the price of step function upgrading a key book in your portfolio - say from a 3.0 to a 6/7 or a 7 to a 9.6/ 9.8 - what do you do?   

I know this is probably too abstract without the emotion of actual title names.    But this gets to a bit of how you think about the investment side of a collection even if you have no intent to liquidate any time soon.    

On 11/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, DC# said:

Interested to know how others think about upgrades vs picking up other books not yet in your collection.     If you could pick up 3-4 books that you “kinda want” (to maybe really want but just not to the level of “gotta have”) for the price of step function upgrading a key book in your portfolio - say from a 3.0 to a 6/7 or a 7 to a 9.6/ 9.8 - what do you do?   

I know this is probably too abstract without the emotion of actual title names.    But this gets to a bit of how you think about the investment side of a collection even if you have no intent to liquidate any time soon.    

Honestly, I’ve never really been a big “upgrade” type of collector.  I’m totally fine with lower grade books (VG and below) especially on big keys.  I try to find the best copy I can afford at the time and if it checks the boxes of qualities I look for on my books, I buy it and that’s usually it.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

Honestly, I’ve never really been a big “upgrade” type of collector.  I’m totally fine with lower grade books (VG and below) especially on big keys.  I try to find the best copy I can afford at the time and if it checks the boxes of qualities I look for on my books, I buy it and that’s usually it.

I feel the same. Most of my books were also a series of circumstances that led to the purchase. Sometimes hard to let go of.

That said, other circumstance purchases DO end up meaning an upgrade lol

By the time the other chance comes along, the price is :ohnoez: or I've moved on, usually satisfied!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM