• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what's the Jocko Batman book?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I know nothing of new comics except whenever I take a chance on one it: 1. Is expensive, and 2. IT SUCKS!

That being said, saw a poster for some Batman book by someone named Jocko (did his mother name him/her/they that?). If I spend the 20$ or whatever on it, is it gonna suck too?

Edited by NoMan

On 11/24/2021 at 9:28 PM, NoMan said:

I know nothing of new comics except whenever I take a chance on one it: 1. Is expensive, and 2. IT SUCKS!

That being said, saw a poster for some Batman book by someone named Jocko (did his mother name him/her/they that?). If I spend the 20$ or whatever on it, is it gonna suck too?

All I can say is I don't buy Batman stuff unless I already know I'm going to like it. Maybe you are thinking of the artist Jock who did the cover for Detective 880?

I have never once bought a Batman book that "sucked". Not once. I already know which ones at least border on suck. Reviews are plentiful as are synopsis. Just do a bit of research and you can make up your own mind to the stuff that suits your tastes. I hate bad writing and implausible stories. I love Neal Adams art but his writing is - I am afraid - contemptible.

There are definitely some "sleeper" Batman books that I believe have room to grow. If you're talking about the Jock Detective 880 cover, like Randall said, that's an awesome cover - if you found it for $20, then congrats, that's an amazing buy. Jock did a lot of Bat covers, and I love his artwork. In general though, most of the Batman stuff - especially the modern stuff - is going to lag behind Marvel in terms of speculation and desirability, it's just a sad fact of DC vs Marvel books. But if you're looking for modern Batman spec, look at the Hush run (608-619), Long Halloween, Morrison's work - especially 655-658; 666 and the RIP run variants; Batman 635 (first Jason Todd as Red Hood) and some of the 800-run 'Tec stuff (850 - first Gotham City Sirens), etc.

I’m looking forward to Batman: One Dark Knight by Jock. But going off of what Jesse-Lee said, there’s plenty of good Batman stuff from the modern era for reading and collecting.

Batman: Hush and Batman: Under the Red Hood are my personal favorites.

I would also like to add that Jock’s cover for Detective Comics #880 will definitely be one to remember.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up getting the “classic cover” notation on the CGC label for that book. 

I even made a game out of it. I bought "Batman: Hush" and bought them all as SS books. Then bought the hardcover. Great story.

Just to address the "suck" part of NoMans comment: There is an awful lot of terrible writing in modern books I have found. The writing tries to reflect the parlance of today's "hip" youth but today's "hip" youth is nearly illiterate as illustrated by FB, IG and Twitter. For some good reading, try bronze age books written by Bob Haney, Denny O'Neil and others. I'm old now, so I forget who else.

Batman 232 started the Ra's Al Ghul (I hate this word) "saga". Not only was the art superlative (I am NOT illiterate), but the writing was actually interesting. Written in 1971, they even managed to keep pop words of the day out of the text. Words like "Far out", "Right On", "Groovy, man!" and "Please pass me the heroin needle so I can overdose. Plunger first, please." At least out of the Batman stories. The "Robin goes to college" stories were loaded with that . I stopped reading those when Grayson offered to "rap" with a fellow "Cool cat" in his "digs" at the college "Dormitory".

Peace, Ma-a-a-aan!

On 11/25/2021 at 12:28 PM, NoMan said:

I love Jock’s artwork (his mother named him Mark - Mark Simpson) - particularly his run in late Vol 1. Tec - “The Black Mirror” arc. Not sure how he goes as a writer… Reckon I’ll pick up the trade for this if the reviews on the floppies are solid.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:07 PM, D2 said:

I hear this argument often. 
A lot of people don’t like Tec 880, but it’s actually an *amazing* read. 

What’s funny is, although the story is about Grayson being Batman, The Black Mirror, which 880 is a part of, is more - back to basics Batman - than anything written outside of Snyder’s other hit, Court of Owls. It undoes, or at the very least, ignores this whole Grant Morrison, BatGod idea.  Which I hate. 

The Black Mirror is a fun, dark-ish, crime noir, and 880 just happens to be the best cover of the series. 

Read it. It’s top 5 Batman stories of all time for me. 880 IMO is not overrated. 

68F0774B-DD55-4536-8898-A87118F7B869.jpeg

@NoMan here is an honest review!

Nice quote @ADAMANTIUM - I 100% agree with @D2’s review - that run is a deadset ripper. (Don’t get me started on how much I’d love to own that SS pictured in D2’s post!)

@Blankedboy put me onto it years ago and I was so grateful - it’s been one of my all-time favourite arcs ever since. 

On 12/4/2021 at 4:00 AM, Arkham said:

Nice quote @ADAMANTIUM - I 100% agree with @D2’s review - that run is a deadset ripper. (Don’t get me started on how much I’d love to own that SS pictured in D2’s post!)

@Blankedboy put me onto it years ago and I was so grateful - it’s been one of my all-time favourite arcs ever since. 

Lol thank you!

I’ve had quite the journey getting my signed 880 too. I met Snyder and Jock and got their poster signed too. This 880 was a book I held on to for years, not really expecting jock to come to town, so when he did I was all over it. 

On 12/4/2021 at 7:00 PM, Arkham said:

Jock is an absolute legend - great artist and a really cool guy too.

The Black Mirror is incredible, can't wait for his new Batman book. It's going to look incredible

On 12/6/2021 at 5:27 AM, Arkham said:

That’s a stunning book, @onlyweaknesskryptonite

I’ve got a 9.6 Snyder SS. Always have my eye out for a Jock SS to upgrade to. 

I have a 9.8 that I had been thinking of getting signed in the CGC event from like a month ago, but I was afraid I'd get a stricter grader and it would come back a 9.6 or something. Ha ha. Didn't want to chance it. I sent in a couple other titles though, one of them being his cover of Gideon Falls #1 since I'm a huge fan of the series.

gideon_falls.jpg

On 12/6/2021 at 5:27 AM, Arkham said:

That’s a stunning book, @onlyweaknesskryptonite

I’ve got a 9.6 Snyder SS. Always have my eye out for a Jock SS to upgrade to. 

Thank you! I was happy to snag that newsstand. When they announced the in house for Jock, I kept debating send it until it was actually late making it there. Although it has been received at CCS for the Signature so now just the wait till next year sometime. 

On 12/7/2021 at 1:13 AM, Shawn Everidge said:

I have a 9.8 that I had been thinking of getting signed in the CGC event from like a month ago, but I was afraid I'd get a stricter grader and it would come back a 9.6 or something. Ha ha. Didn't want to chance it. I sent in a couple other titles though, one of them being his cover of Gideon Falls #1 since I'm a huge fan of the series.

gideon_falls.jpg

Wow, that’s an absolutely stunning cover