• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2021 at 2:58 PM, Randall Dowling said:

You know, that's a good point.  The stories are so thin (also the comics themselves) that they have gotten really, really boring.  A good friend of mine recently described his experience reading a modern comic as such- "When I got finished reading page after page of minimal story and bad panel layout, I felt something that comics never made me feel before- old."

So, yes, it's going to be hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear when you've got very little story to work with.  

The first books I remember thinking this about were the 1st five issues of the 1990 Spiderman.  I though that that should have been two issues instead of five.

On 11/26/2021 at 2:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

That's not entirely fair. Sure, Marvel is absolutely unreadable garbage, but maybe his friend is the only person in the world to ever actually open a Zenescope comic.

I used to tell people I only read Playboy for the pictures.  Same with Zenescope.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:54 PM, kav said:

we dont post selfies.  what can I say.

It never occured to me to ever post a selfie on purpose or a picture of what I was just served for lunch. And they called us from the late 1960's and early 1970s "The 'ME' Generation". We had NOTHING on this self centered generation. The love of self has never been greater in human history.And ironically while claiming they "hate" themselves. Poor self esteem. Poor self image problems. Then stop looking at yourselves so much! I KNOW you are but what am I?

Seems as though when movies began to drive the comic books the stories began to stink along with the art. Many movies that are comic related just suck. Every Batman movie sucks. If people could just sit back and see that. We grew up with writers that could actually write and put a sentence together.

This cover was one of the last ones that seemed to advertise what we were about to see. It was what we had waited for for over a year to wrap up.

u.png.0d7b8b2e5bfdf70a9779d18ceaa338fa.png

Edited by Randall Ries

On 11/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, kav said:

Apparently there is nothing modern that is bad.  Its all super awesome and if someone criticizes it, theyre just get off my lawners.
Sheer logic shows this is ridiculous.  There are plenty of things that are worse now than in the past.  A refrigerator used to last 50 years.  Now they are designed to wear out in 12.  Thats just one example.

888.jpg.cd69eec83ebad93db9f9193eae004d6e.jpg

On 11/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, kav said:

Apparently there is nothing modern that is bad.  Its all super awesome and if someone criticizes it, theyre just get off my lawners.
Sheer logic shows this is ridiculous.  There are plenty of things that are worse now than in the past.  A refrigerator used to last 50 years.  Now they are designed to wear out in 12.  Thats just one example.

It's a cover up and a way of avoiding the fact they have no way to approach something with an aesthetic. It's "too busy" It's "too crowded" It's "TMI". It's actually called "I am intimidated by things that aren't spelled out in one sentence, line drawing or sound bite. My attention span is 4 seconds and that's YOUR fault. So, I will pretend to yawn because I am so much more evolved than you, senile old goat." The reality is they aren't as evolved as much as they think they are.

Age is a weird thing. I recall telling my uncle I liked KISS when I was 14. He didn't judge per se, he just asked "What about Van Morrison?" Not so much. He just kinda smiled. Now I like VM FAR MORE than I do KISS. Quality lasts. Flash and severe marketing always goes away.

I was into Neal Adams Batman as a kid. My uncle was into Walt Kelly's Pogo and Hal Foster and Milt Caniff. I just could not see it. He simply tried to share with me and relate and show me superior. Now, superior is a dirty word. Along with the word elite. Unless the word is applied to a branch of the armed services. Blaaaah. Keep your hired killer and capitalistic world.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:52 PM, Randall Ries said:

It's a cover up and a way of avoiding the fact they have no way to approach something with an aesthetic. It's "too busy" It's "too crowded" It's "TMI". It's actually called "I am intimidated by things that aren't spelled out in one sentence, line drawing or sound bite. My attention span is 4 seconds and that's YOUR fault. So, I will pretend to yawn because I am so much more evolved than you, senile old goat." The reality is they aren't as evolved as much as they think they are.

Age is a weird thing. I recall telling my uncle I liked KISS when I was 14. He didn't judge per se, he just asked "What about Van Morrison?" Not so much. He just kinda smiled. Now I like VM FAR MORE than I do KISS. Quality lasts. Flash and severe marketing always goes away.

I was into Neal Adams Batman as a kid. My uncle was into Walt Kelly's Pogo and Hal Foster and Milt Caniff. I just could not see it. He simply tried to share with me and relate and show me superior. Now, superior is a dirty word. Along with the word elite. Unless the word is applied to a branch of the armed services. Blaaaah. Keep your hired killer and capitalistic world.

I enjoy older stuff too, but I’m not so close-minded as to write everything off in the last thirty years or so as garbage. There was plenty of garbage in the old days too.