• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, Poekaymon said:

I'd say it's much harder to write 10 high quality words than a whole page of "Have what for, jackanape!"  Orwell probably said something like that.

RCO008_1469406663.thumb.jpg.044247938d438da473daa4a909d658fc.jpg

RCO007_1570019300.thumb.jpg.a3782f149a3bb4f5435a56d8cd823a22.jpg

Not a fan of cliche dialogue tho.  Modern comic writers seem to learn to write from watching movies.

On 11/27/2021 at 3:42 PM, LarsUmlaut said:

I've heard this complaint from British/UK writers. They grew up reading the classics and learned how to write well while American writers learned how to write from watching movies, not reading the classics.

Then there are the modern writers who learn to write from reading comic books.  thats the worst.  Even if you read alan moore, if you try to copy alan moore, you will suck.

On 11/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, LarsUmlaut said:

I actually edited my post before this post to include learning to write from reading comics (thumbsu

People wholearn to draw from comics and write from comics are the worst.  zero originality, cliche garbage.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:37 PM, kav said:

Not a fan of cliche dialogue tho.  Modern comic writers seem to learn to write from watching movies.

I mean, at a certain level nearly everything is derivative of Shakespeare.  Regardless, there is a whole lotta cringe-inducing dialog and silliness (rampant onomatopoeia, for example) in older comics that has been dispensed with in moderns, so they have that going for them, at least, imo.  

On 11/27/2021 at 5:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 11/27/2021 at 5:50 PM, kav said:

People wholearn to draw from comics and write from comics are the worst.  zero originality, cliche garbage.

Sorrynot.asentence,nuhuh

@Comics4All