• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO's Game of Thrones THE HEDGE KNIGHT spin-off series (2025)
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Another Game of Thrones prequel is moving forward in the development process, as Dunk & Egg gains a writer/executive producer. Even before fantasy giant Game of Thrones came to an end in 2019, HBO was very interested in developing additional projects set within author George R.R. Martin's expansive world. Numerous spin-off shows have been put into development in recent years, but few have made real progress. The Long Night, which cast Naomi Watts as its lead, never made it past the filming of the pilot. A prequel series centered on the Targaryens, House of the Dragon, is set to be the first Thrones spin-off; it'll premiere on HBO next year.

As HBO gears up for that release, there are still at least four spin-offs in the works. One of them is Dunk & Egg, a series based on Martin's Tales of Dunk & Egg novellas. It was first put into development earlier this year. Set about 90 years before Game of Thrones, the novellas focus on the adventures of hedge knight Dunk and his squire Egg, who one day becomes king of Westeros as Aegon V Targaryen. Dunk & Egg is being positioned as a more lighthearted addition to the Game of Thrones canon.

Edited by Bosco685

I enjoy the Dunk And Egg stories, but I'm not sure how well it'll adapt to television, seeing as there's really just a main cast of two, and there's a lot they'd have to make up. We've seen how well it goes when they make up their own storylines, and I'd rather not see that repeated, thank you very much. 

I also can't see them keeping the tone of the short stories intact, which IMO is a very important factor. 

Author George R.R. Martin gave a significant update on the Game of Thrones prequels Wednesday, including revealing their updated titles and showrunners.

The Dunk and Egg series in development — based on Martin’s novellas about a wandering knight and a young Aegon V Targaryen — is being tackled by Steve Conrad (Patriot). “He’s determined to do a faithful adaptation of the stories, which is exactly what I want; these characters and stories are very precious to me,” Martin says. “The first season will be an adaptation of the first novella, The Hedge Knight.” The project’s title is still uncertain, but it will probably be The Hedge Knight or A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. Martin wants to write more of these novellas to help the series (assuming it gets greenlit).

Game of Thrones Prequel Series 'Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight' In Development at HBO

A new Game of Thrones prequel series (currently) titled A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight, is in development at HBO. Based on Game of Thrones creator George R.R. Martin's Dunk and Egg books, The Hedge Knight is described as being set "A century before the events of Game of Thrones, where two unlikely heroes wandered Westeros… a young, naïve but courageous knight, Ser Duncan the Tall, and his diminutive squire, Egg. Set in an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living memory, great destinies, powerful foes, and dangerous exploits all await these improbable and incomparable friends."

It's reported that George R.R. Martin will write and executive producedd The Hedge Knight series, along with House of the Dragon writer and showrunner Ryan Condal, HotD executive producer Ira Parker and Got/HotD executive producer Vince Gerardis. The Hedge Knight books Martin wrote about Dunk and Egg include The Hedge Knight (1998), The Sworn Sword (2003), and The Mystery Knight (2010). All three were collected into one 2015 volume called A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. 

With the story taking place just 90 years before Game of Thrones, there are many significant connections that can (and will) be drawn between A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, the preceding events of House of the Dragon, and the events that follow in Game of Thrones. This new series may be exploring Aegon V in his youth, but the Targaryen's story also touches his older brother, Aemon Targaryen, the man who passed on the Iron Throne to serve the Night's Watch and help Jon Snow reach his true Targaryen identity and destiny. Aegon and Aemon also existed at a time when the mess of House of the Dragon's civil conflict "The Dance of Dragons" was finally settling out, and it seemed that stability in the Targaryen reign was assured – until it wasn't. 

On 12/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, Cat said:

I enjoy the Dunk And Egg stories, but I'm not sure how well it'll adapt to television, seeing as there's really just a main cast of two, and there's a lot they'd have to make up. We've seen how well it goes when they make up their own storylines, and I'd rather not see that repeated, thank you very much. 

I also can't see them keeping the tone of the short stories intact, which IMO is a very important factor. 

This guy is spot on. 

I would say the first story lends itself pretty well to an adaptation, and was a strong story to boot.  The second one, not so much.  The third was more of a return to form and could also work.

I think GOT is the best series show that is also the worst series show. You love until that last season and that last episode, then you hate it forever.

What a let down, what a total dump storm.

Before Ryan Condal would go on to co-create House of the Dragon with author George R.R. Martin, he had his eyes set on a different Game of Thrones story: Dunk and Egg.

HBO is now full steam ahead on A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, which is based on Martin's novellas about Ser Duncan the Tall and his diminutive companion nicknamed Egg. Ira Parker is writing and executive producing the six-episode first season with Martin, but years earlier, Condal pitched himself for the gig.

"When HBO was looking to do spinoffs for the original series — this is now like eight years ago — word got around that I was a bit of a fan," Condal tells Entertainment Weekly. "They had me in and I passionately pitched them on doing Dunk and Egg for this reason."