• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a dealer to do?

84 posts in this topic

ok all i was all set to buy the #42 cgc 9.0 in boston for 2 bills but no luck..i came back a second time to see if you would come down but still nada...i mean i usually check out your site for new books and would have like to land that asm #76 you had recently but again we could not agree....although you did come down on the book. but to me if i can't do a deal i don't hold it against the dealer,,,i jsut look elsewhere or wait until another one comes up...they usually do.

i know you have overhead, fees, grading $, etc factored into your margin but if the price isn't right..buyers won't bite. wink.gif

George, We have gone back and forth on pricing before.

Let me add more to my What's a dealer to do

Dealer attempts to buy a CGC graded book.

If it's already CGC graded I "should" go down the below path:

I need to ask the seller if he purchased the book from Tom Brulato/Jason Ewert and hope he's telling me the truth.

However, just to be safe and since I don't trust anybody today and I want to be safe from having a book show up in a thread I have to now reference the Jason Ewert database in case it's a "tainted issue".

I "should" check Heritage archives in case it's been pressed, trimmed or resubbed. This could be database #2 if this comes to fruitation.

I should check the census and see how many are out there to determine how this issue stacks up.

I "should" then go up against GPAnalysis and do a price lookup to see what I should price it for. Remember that GPA is looking backward, not forward which I thought Dealers should be doing.

Do the math on the book being offered versus what I want to pay.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ, seller waiting for my response.

Buying a raw book

I need to ask the seller if he purchased the book from Tom Brulato/Jason Ewert and hope he's telling me the truth.

However, just to be safe and since I don't trust anybody today and I want to be safe from having a book show up in a thread I have to now reference the Jason Ewert database in case it's a "tainted issue". I have to question if I think it's a Jason ewert "cracked out" issue. Curse that there aren't enough scans. Panic!

Make my offer

Do my CGC "Get it graded" analysis.

What will CGC grade it. Even with my knowledge of the CGC grading standards this is a moving target.

If it grades this/this or this what will it price out at?

What do I have into it? CGC grading add 25% to the cost of a book/collection based on the guide prices of many books. The ones that usually are high grade are the post 66 and bronze age books. However, $25 to grade/5 months later turns your formula into "I gotta get a 9.4".

How long will it be gone? Pre-screen, add a month, Add $3/4 a book.

How many copies do I have?

Can I sell it raw and save the time and $$$ in grading. This one gets a YES more and more.

nothing new about all that Bob. Its the nature of the beast. And its the same things we collectors have to do now! So sure it sucks and it all used to be easier, but.... whatre ya gonna do? I think you should go back to collecting fulltime, because youre complaining just like one of us now.

I can't help but not feel sorry for the issues you are describing. What you are talking about is business principles in general. There are costs and benefits and risks and rewards. Weigh the options, make a decision and live with the consequenses. I agree with the recommendations of board members so far. I guess I don't understand why every book you have isn't scanned. Am I wrong that you can scan, name and upload 100 images per hour? Hire a temp or college student for $10/hr cash and have him work a weekend Raw books scan in the mylar or plastic as a short term solution.

Website - Unless you have steady customers who know your grading skill its your word against the buyers.

I would think this is the way of the future, if it isn't already. And I'd venture to say that most of the forumites hopping around here are avidly on the hunt for good dealers for whom they can become steady customers. I don't think there are that many of us out here looking to buy one book from one guy, and then never talk to that seller again.

Is website traffic slow? Maybe some advertising is in order? No greater advertising than word of mouth, but maybe a few well-placed ads online and in print to get things moving and shaking?

Hire a temp or college student for $10/hr cash and have him work a weekend Raw books scan in the mylar or plastic as a short term solution.

Eek, and risk jacking up lord knows how many books...no thanks, I'd pass on that little suggestion.

Unless, of course, you could hire someone with some experience in the care of fragile paper goods. Maybe some low-level, curatorial intern-type person.

Man, all I can say is good thing I am not a comic book dealer. Oh wait, that was Sfilosa's opinion. 893blahblah.gif893naughty-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

How about, good thing I have a day job.

Bob, in just three short years you too can be a lawyer. I can always use some good help patrolling the comic book world and keeping it safe for buyers. acclaim.gifyay.gif

George, you offer $200 on a 9.2 AS #42. I would pay $200 for a Raw 9.2 AS #42.

You offered $250 for the AS #76 9.4 with white pages. It sold for $360.

So who is right? You or me?

not exactly...i offered $200 on the 9.0 ASM you had...and i offered 295 on the asm #76 and then 500 for both.....but no go....hey i gave it a shot.

I recommend a giant getting out of the bizness sale and investing your money into something with a future.

There really is something to be said about having weekends free and.

Too much work.... he should just make a clean break and give all of them away to the Greater Wisconsin Comics for Orphaned Cats charity... stooges.gif

Man, all I can say is good thing I am not a comic book dealer. Oh wait, that was Sfilosa's opinion. 893blahblah.gif893naughty-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

How about, good thing I have a day job.

Bob, in just three short years you too can be a lawyer. I can always use some good help patrolling the comic book world and keeping it safe for buyers. acclaim.gifyay.gif

Damn it Mark, you promised that job to ME!!!! sumo.gif