• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a dealer to do?

84 posts in this topic

Raw prices are increasing, overgrading of raw is more rampant.

CGC is grading tighter for some of us, looser for others.

Turnaround times are long so cash flow gets strained.

Risk/reward ratios based on CGC multiple compression makes the decision of what to get graded that much harder.

No new pre-65 collections puts pressure on "dealers" to manufacture grades to sell to the 9.4+ label junkie. Post 66 collections contain much of the same issues already with large CGC populations. Unless it's 9.4 or better what do you do with those 9.0's and 9.2's? God forbid they are lower than that unless they are #1's. Press them? Try as hard as you can to convince a label buyer that the book is really nice? Throw in the "Barely a 9.0/definitely a 9.0/really close to a 9.2" sales pitch? When does a seller cross the line? Throw as many copies in their face with different grades to educate them (Seems expensive from a business perspective)?

Sell them raw? Where? Ebay - Nope, Ebay factors a 25% overgrading factor.

Convention - Ok, but be prepared for the "Why didn't you get it graded question". Unless it's graded it must be restored or overgraded. Heritage - why, so they can buy them? Website - Unless you have steady customers who know your grading skill its your word against the buyers.

Ask me again why I want to be a dealer in this market? Ask me why I want to have books graded?

It's damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Everything has a price including your time and the expenses of everything you mentioned. What do you do when you get that CGC 9.6 Amazing Spiderman #31? Do you sell it or keep it? Ebay, no it doesn't get the high end bidder. Comiclink - free to list but if overpriced it becomes on the market and loses its "excitement", underpriced and you lost out. Heritage - Fees, nuff said. Convention, maybe but time, expenses, the right customers. Consignment to a dealer - fees nuff said.

There are no free lunches. Sounds to me like you value the 9.0's more than the average bear so you should be happy you get to keep them.

Raw prices are increasing, overgrading of raw is more rampant.

CGC is grading tighter for some of us, looser for others.

Turnaround times are long so cash flow gets strained.

Risk/reward ratios based on CGC multiple compression makes the decision of what to get graded that much harder.

No new pre-65 collections puts pressure on "dealers" to manufacture grades to sell to the 9.4+ label junkie. Post 66 collections contain much of the same issues already with large CGC populations. Unless it's 9.4 or better what do you do with those 9.0's and 9.2's? God forbid they are lower than that unless they are #1's. Press them? Try as hard as you can to convince a label buyer that the book is really nice? Throw in the "Barely a 9.0/definitely a 9.0/really close to a 9.2" sales pitch? When does a seller cross the line? Throw as many copies in their face with different grades to educate them (Seems expensive from a business perspective)?

Sell them raw? Where? Ebay - Nope, Ebay factors a 25% overgrading factor.

Convention - Ok, but be prepared for the "Why didn't you get it graded question". Unless it's graded it must be restored or overgraded. Heritage - why, so they can buy them? Website - Unless you have steady customers who know your grading skill its your word against the buyers.

Ask me again why I want to be a dealer in this market? Ask me why I want to have books graded?

It's damned if I do, damned if I don't.

One suggestion. More scans. I know its time consuming. But it might help.

I know there's a few books on your site I'd be very interested in seeing scans of.

bob,

i am interested in several of the 8.0-9.2 books on your site but even 65% of the listed price is often more than what i can score the book on ebay for...for example i recently picked up an ASM #42 cgc 9.2 for $260....You have a 9.2 as well but are asking $420....no way you would come down to $273. I could only get you down to $240 on the 9.0...so what is a buyer to do? makepoint.gif

The posse will continue to run rampant until the sheriff takes control of the town again. Thus far the sheriff and his deputies have only made 2 appearances within the past month, while banishing 3 or 4 outlaws. However, these outlaws still have their guns and are causing problems around town. Since the town folk feel abandoned and unprotected, they're going after the outlaws themselves in order save their youngens. In the mean time, the shop owners have circled their wagons to protect themselves from both the town folk and the outlaws. They still have faith that the sheriff and his deputies (minus one) will ride into town once again to save the day. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Bob:

What you're describing is the cyclical nature of any collectibles market.

Four of the factors you pointed out - eBay, Heritage, the Internet and CGC - did not exist in our hobby 15 years ago. But the problems of finding fresh original owner collections, restoration, saturation, and thinning collector populations existed then as they do now.

Markets have a way of correcting themselves. Scandals will happen. Prices will fall. But at the end of the day (to use a financial metaphor) if there's a solid underpinning of collectors who love the hobby for itself - it will recover.

I sympathize with your situation, Bob. You may have to make some hard decisions (like I did when I sold Moondog's in 1994). It's not uncommon for dealers in hobbies that get hammered to get "day jobs" or downsize to "weekend warrior" status. Many decide to call it quits. You'll do what's best for you and your family.

Good luck. You're one of the real good guys in this business with a solid reputation.

--Gary

Bob, there is a 9.0 raw Bronze Age book that you have listed on your website, that I would like to purchase a copy of...but no scan, I've PM'd you with my email address and the book I'l like to see, if you will send me a scan of the book (front and back please) to the email address, then we'll talk...

thedude,

Scans, I have been uploading as many scans as possible when time permits. If somebody sends me an email for a scan request I'll do my best to get one up on the site.

I do not have a $$$ limit on a scan requests but please exercise restraint on the number you ask for.

Not so much regarding Bob and HGC but all dealers...

There are so many outlets one can use to purchase comics these days, that the onus is really on the dealer to...deal. Taking offers is a start, but really making deals is the clincher. Be willing to take 20-25% off books, especially those of the $20-$100 variety that can be found in many places. Someone wants to grab 10 books for $500, be willing to do it for $400.

Have a sale!

No need to cut prices on anything that is truly unique. Get a nice FF 12? Mark that sucker up and keep it up!

More competition means a slimmer margin. Just the way it is.

I'm in no position to back it up myself right now, broke broke broke, but I would guess that if you had a 20-25% off sale on your site for books under $500, toss in free shipping on some large dollar figure, you'd do well. =)

George, We have gone back and forth on pricing before.

Let me add more to my What's a dealer to do

Dealer attempts to buy a CGC graded book.

If it's already CGC graded I "should" go down the below path:

I need to ask the seller if he purchased the book from Tom Brulato/Jason Ewert and hope he's telling me the truth.

However, just to be safe and since I don't trust anybody today and I want to be safe from having a book show up in a thread I have to now reference the Jason Ewert database in case it's a "tainted issue".

I "should" check Heritage archives in case it's been pressed, trimmed or resubbed. This could be database #2 if this comes to fruitation.

I should check the census and see how many are out there to determine how this issue stacks up.

I "should" then go up against GPAnalysis and do a price lookup to see what I should price it for. Remember that GPA is looking backward, not forward which I thought Dealers should be doing.

Do the math on the book being offered versus what I want to pay.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ, seller waiting for my response.

Buying a raw book

I need to ask the seller if he purchased the book from Tom Brulato/Jason Ewert and hope he's telling me the truth.

However, just to be safe and since I don't trust anybody today and I want to be safe from having a book show up in a thread I have to now reference the Jason Ewert database in case it's a "tainted issue". I have to question if I think it's a Jason ewert "cracked out" issue. Curse that there aren't enough scans. Panic!

Make my offer

Do my CGC "Get it graded" analysis.

What will CGC grade it. Even with my knowledge of the CGC grading standards this is a moving target.

If it grades this/this or this what will it price out at?

What do I have into it? CGC grading add 25% to the cost of a book/collection based on the guide prices of many books. The ones that usually are high grade are the post 66 and bronze age books. However, $25 to grade/5 months later turns your formula into "I gotta get a 9.4".

How long will it be gone? Pre-screen, add a month, Add $3/4 a book.

How many copies do I have?

Can I sell it raw and save the time and $$$ in grading. This one gets a YES more and more.

The posse will continue to run rampant until the sheriff takes control of the town again. Thus far the sheriff and his deputies have only made 2 appearances within the past month, while banishing 3 or 4 outlaws. However, these outlaws still have their guns and are causing problems around town. Since the town folk feel abandoned and unprotected, they're going after the outlaws themselves in order save their youngens. In the mean time, the shop owners have circled their wagons to protect themselves from both the town folk and the outlaws. They still have faith that the sheriff and his deputies (minus one) will ride into town once again to save the day. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

yeah but the showgirls at the saloon are a nice diversion in the meantime! Have a beer Clem, and sat a spell!

yeehahhhhhh!!!