• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

newton rings and book value
2 2

14 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2021 at 7:03 PM, ToBeContinued... said:

Zero. It's an optical illusion caused by the plastic slab, not damage to the comic.

Unless you have Fake Comic Collector OCD, then you'll want to demand that the seller give you a discount so you can reholder the book lol

This

Newton Rings are accepted as ‘normal’, but they can be unsightly.  It won’t affect the value of the comic itself, but collector’s and/or flippers may be turned off by too much showing in a slab.  This can make the slab harder to sell too.  I’ve got some with NR’s, but they are in my personal collection so I’m fine with it.  My Devil Dinosaur #1 has so many Newton Rings in it that it almost looks like an oil slick. lol

At the last Con I attending a dealer had 2 CGC books from the same series that interested me so placed them in my "take" pile.   When it came time for me to evaluate (aka "buy the book, not the label") my  selections I found those 2 had various degrees of Newton's Rings. One I decided to purchase, the other the rings interfered with the beauty of the book too much.  If the dealer had offered a discount in the amount it would take to ship and re-holder I might have gone for it. Given the asking price was $100 (and I was already getting a discount for my multiple purchases)  offering a full re-holdering discount would not have been a smart choice on the dealers part.

On 12/6/2021 at 7:33 AM, Galen130 said:

Newton Rings are accepted as ‘normal’, but they can be unsightly.  It won’t affect the value of the comic itself, but collector’s and/or flippers may be turned off by too much showing in a slab.  This can make the slab harder to sell too.  I’ve got some with NR’s, but they are in my personal collection so I’m fine with it.  My Devil Dinosaur #1 has so many Newton Rings in it that it almost looks like an oil slick. lol

That dinosaur must have fallen in the La Brea tar pits along with the sabertooths. :Rocket:

IMO, getting a discount to cover costs of reholdering isn't enough to make up for Newton rings.

There is the risk associated with getting a book graded that needs to be factored in.

I'd probably keep a graded book with mild Newton rings as-is... And I would pass on it if the optics were bad enough to even think about reholdering.

There will always be 2 camps on this issue -

There are those who believe the case is part of the final product and judge it accordingly.

There are those who believe the case is there to protect the contents, and as long as it is not cracked or severely damaged, not a problem. 

I'm in the second group.

The problem for the second group is that we might one day want to sell the comic in the not-so-perfect case (scuffs, scratches, Newton Rings, etc.) to someone who is a member of the first group.  So even if you don't care much about something strange going on with the case, the future buyer might.

The only solution is better cases, better procedures, and better QC.

People have pet peeves - don't like date stamps, the wrap has to be perfectly aligned, hate Restored or Qualified, case must be perfect, etc.  Just the way it is. 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:44 PM, Gaard said:

Newton Rings/scuffs/scratches should not be there, regardless of how you feel about them.

You're going to get all 3 from CGC, just a real world fact.  From my experience receiving over a thousand slabs, about 10%.  And worse problems - like major cracks, chips, and comic damage such as bent corners.

I know they had been working on new cases to remove the Newton Ring effect, trying to keep the 2 different plastics from touching.  I'm not sure if that has been accomplished yet.

The other things, that's definitely on QC, if we are talking about slabs fresh out of grading to the submitter.  No excuse to not be able to inspect their raw slabs before and after assembly, and reject the bad ones.  It wouldn't take a college degree to do that job, just a dept. manager who cares to do something about it.

Any slab, after changing hands once or twice, can pick up damage along the way, but hopefully it does its job and protects the comic.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:05 AM, Lightning55 said:

You're going to get all 3 from CGC, just a real world fact.  From my experience receiving over a thousand slabs, about 10%.  And worse problems - like major cracks, chips, and comic damage such as bent corners.

You have a lot more experience getting comics graded than I do, and I have no reason to doubt your estimate of about 10% of CGC-graded comics being received with some kind of issue related to encapsulation. Something this makes me curious about is what (approximate) percentage beyond that 10% go on to develop Newton rings that initially did not have Newton rings. One reason I am wondering about this is that I happened to look closely through my entire collection of graded comics earlier after not having done this for some time, and I noticed some CGC-graded comics that initially did not have Newton rings have gone on to develop some level of Newton rings.

To their credit, I was told that CGC will offer a complementary reholder if photos are emailed to submissions@cgccomics.com, and it then is determined that the Newton rings are "excessive" (whatever that is subjectively determined to be). However, by the looks of the thread below, CGC has been trying to resolve this issue at the point of encapsulation for several years now. Some in the thread seem to have reported that this issue was resolved at various points, but it obviously has not been altogether resolved, as evidenced by both the current discussion and the most recent comments in the thread below (which report that Newton rings "have returned"...or perhaps never really went away?).

Regardless, what a tiring nuisance, and I find it to be rather shocking that the company considered to be the standard in the industry has not adequately resolved this issue by now. I can imagine that some customers might increasingly consider other options over time. Yet business does seem to continue to be booming, at least for now...

Edited by comicdiablo