• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on these 2 recent auctions

23 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2021 at 10:22 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Right! Give me off white pages, the census is already low in 9.8 that it wouldn’t bother me.

Given enough time, they'll most likely all be off-white and worse anyway. The slabs probably slow the decay of paper, but they don't stop it outright.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Given enough time, they'll most likely all be off-white and worse anyway. The slabs probably slow the decay of paper, but they don't stop it outright.

Yeah, I always thought this. At what point does the W copies start to all turn OW/W and then to OW. 

There are 7 9.8s on the census, which is relatively few, as well as 18 9.6s.

The last 9.6 went for 5k at Comic Connect in April (https://www.comicconnect.com/item/896066).

The C. link sale at a 2.9x multiple seems reasonable (of a 9.8 vs 9.6 - and likely in line with FMV) while the HA 9x multiple seems out of line with historical trends. 

Edited by Northwest

On 12/7/2021 at 8:01 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I mean, just wow, what is going on in the market today ???

96484119-D5E6-42BF-B83E-AD45E7A87A21.jpeg

D39AAB4C-3D13-4B52-BDF8-D8A09EA64F25.jpeg

as has been mentioned in several threads here and videos online, heritage is alleged to bid up their own books, or those belonging to their owner, in order to raise the market price. if that's true, this certainly fits the bill. 

45K is not a result of two bidders operating with rational minds. Probably two very wealthy ( and busy) collectors who both set artificially high ceilings to assure a win, thinking no one else would dare. I call them "nuclear bids". One is entered early on, and the other is usually closer to the end. Personally. I think the cheaper copy was far superior to the more expensive. That being said, I'm thrilled enough with an 8.5. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 12/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, jimjum12 said:

45K is not a result of two bidders operating with rational minds. Probably two very wealthy ( and busy) collectors who both set artificially high ceilings to assure a win, thinking no one else would dare. I call them "nuclear bids". One is entered early on, and the other is usually closer to the end. Personally. I think the cheaper copy was far superior to the more expensive. That being said, I'm thrilled enough with an 8.5. GOD BLESS...

Was the early nuclear bid shilled up by heritage themselves?

On 12/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Was the early nuclear bid shilled up by heritage themselves?

It won't go up exponentially until the second bid goes in... whenever that is. I remember a photo of Roy Thomas at an early Seuling show in NYC with a stack of what looked like 50 or more mint copies of 21. Personally, I think 14K is rather high. 

If people think Heritage shills, then they shouldn't participate, it's that simple. There was a lot of Hype when that top registry set went through. GOD BLESS...

On 12/8/2021 at 12:12 PM, jimjum12 said:

It won't go up exponentially until the second bid goes in... whenever that is. I remember a photo of Roy Thomas at an early Seuling show in NYC with a stack of what looked like 50 or more mint copies of 21. Personally, I think 14K is rather high. 

If people think Heritage shills, then they shouldn't participate, it's that simple. There was a lot of Hype when that top registry set went through. GOD BLESS...

I think a lot of people are unaware that Heritage shills.  

Let's say two people come running down the street screaming, "RUN!".  One is homeless and another is dressed like he works on wall street.  Which of the two is more likely to be taken seriously?  

Given the stature that Heritage has and the items that pass through the auction house, I believe that people would lend credibility to Heritage as being on the up and up more than a mom and pop eBay auction.    

On 12/8/2021 at 12:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

Let's say two people come running down the street screaming, "RUN!".  One is homeless and another is dressed like he works on wall street.  Which of the two is more likely to be taken seriously?  

Given the stature that Heritage has and the items that pass through the auction house, I believe that people would lend credibility to Heritage as being on the up and up more than a mom and pop eBay auction.    

That's mostly true, but I doubt it applies as much on this forum... Heritage bashing has been prevalent here for at least 10 years. All I know is that I've won a lot of books there over the years and I pay what I'm willing to pay, the rest I lose. More and more I find myself buying from Dealers, as all the auctions at all the Auction Houses seem to go for way more than I want to pay. GOD BLESS ...

.... still loving those Smurfs :x

On 12/8/2021 at 9:21 AM, Buzzetta said:

If you think about it too, can any other website that hosts auctions that are based in TX shill as well?

Or, have an active shill account/employee in TX bid up auctions (Not illegal), and more serious, use a VPN connection that connects into a TX host and shill away (I know this is illegal)?

What I do is last minute bids, when it comes down to the end, place low increments that are required. Not 46.6K off the bat and allow a shill to place a 46.5K bid with the "known" amount I am willing to pay. If this was how this auction went down.