• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedrock City Comics theft!!!
5 5

118 posts in this topic

On 12/15/2021 at 12:56 PM, sfcityduck said:

Wait, what happened to Bedrock?

This is a long story and I don't think it belongs here.  I don't know if those threads are still around either. (shrug)

On 12/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, Galen130 said:

This is a long story and I don't think it belongs here.  I don't know if those threads are still around either. (shrug)

Unless of course you're talking about the theft. (thumbsu

On 12/12/2021 at 9:32 PM, JollyComics said:

That is true.  Smash and thief is now a new trend.  Wait and see how far it will go across USA.  I hope it won't last longer.

Unfortunately, it might stick around for a while.

Edited by HemiGTX
wording

On 12/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, HemiGTX said:

Unfortunately, it might stick around for a while.

In SF, it was organized crime who put together the "flash mob" attacks.  They were going for fungible unidentifiable high end luxury goods (e.g. purses, etc.) which were handed over to organized crime for resell elsewhere or on the internet in an untraceable way. 

SF has taken a very hard law enforcement line and there have been no repeats of those kind of attacks. Many of the flash mob participants have already been arrested, and I expect that the police will move up the ladder as the investigation continues.

Ordinary shoplifting is a different, in SF's case local, issue.

On 12/12/2021 at 11:27 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Jaime Newbold (owner of SoCal Comics in San Diego) had his store broken into 2 times in 2021.  The first time they hit up a bunch of other collectibles stores as well, all caught on video.  Second time he got his stuff back, but he had to get new doors each time.  2nd time also there was blood on the floor from where the burglar cut himself on the glass where some of the CGC books were located.  

The problem is when you keep expensive books in the store over night you invite people during the day to come in and preview what they can come back and steal at night.  Not saying any store owner is wrong for doing so as Jaime always keeps his really good stuff off property, but the rest of it is up for grabs in case of a break-in.  It's all part of the risk of selling items that have value and owning a comic book store.  The risk is really unavoidable and all you can do is minimize the risk the best you can when you leave each night.  

To be honest I thought right away in March of 2020......OMG people are going to get stuff stolen at a rate that impossible for cops to stop.  I couldn't believe it didnt happened right away thank God at that kind of rate.  I remember thinking all those businesses (Best Buys, Comic Book stores, small businesses etc) just have stuff sitting there 24 hours straight during lockdown with Joe blow security walking around with a flashlight.  Don't even get me started about the disgrace of California right now when it comes to this stuff.  Better to hire a criminal to catch a criminal now with how hamstrung our police force is right now.

In Chicago, they are currently using the drawbridges to prevent or trap the potential looters or protestors all nights since the summer of 2020.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/08/14/in-lori-lightfoots-chicago-bridges-have-become-barricades/

On 12/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, lizards2 said:
On 12/15/2021 at 2:56 PM, sfcityduck said:

Wait, what happened to Bedrock?

He got moderated.

Last I'd heard he'd left the CGC forums after moderation made some really strange (poor) decisions. 

I thought he was back but maybe not? I haven't really been around all that much lately. 

On 12/15/2021 at 9:46 PM, VintageComics said:

Last I'd heard he'd left the CGC forums after moderation made some really strange (poor) decisions. 

I thought he was back but maybe not? I haven't really been around all that much lately. 

Roy!

He posted on the last page - today - dork! :baiting: 

Sell me some raws! :D

On 12/16/2021 at 1:03 AM, lizards2 said:

Roy!

He posted on the last page - today - dork! :baiting: 

See how out of touch I am? lol

On 12/16/2021 at 1:03 AM, lizards2 said:

Sell me some raws! :D

:eek:

On 12/15/2021 at 2:17 PM, sfcityduck said:

In SF, it was organized crime who put together the "flash mob" attacks.  They were going for fungible unidentifiable high end luxury goods (e.g. purses, etc.) which were handed over to organized crime for resell elsewhere or on the internet in an untraceable way. 

SF has taken a very hard law enforcement line and there have been no repeats of those kind of attacks. Many of the flash mob participants have already been arrested, and I expect that the police will move up the ladder as the investigation continues.

Ordinary shoplifting is a different, in SF's case local, issue.

Bingo!

When a "flash mob" crime occurs, it makes you wonder why the FBI are on the scene the next day.  It made me think that organized crime is at the core...at least in these cases.

On 12/16/2021 at 1:50 AM, Bumble Kitty said:

Bingo!

When a "flash mob" crime occurs, it makes you wonder why the FBI are on the scene the next day.  It made me think that organized crime is at the core...at least in these cases.

there's so many stories about how completely unregulated online marketplaces like FB have made it so easy for people to move stolen goods quickly without going through the old school reseller routes like Pawn shops, flea markets, etc. Police do sting ops posing as customers, but that's a lot of online monitoring to do in addition to setting up the in-person sting. The new tax rules for third party payers like paypal and ebay may take a bite out of these things when people get 1099's and there's more of a paper trail perhaps. 

On 12/16/2021 at 2:58 PM, Jayman said:

And I’m assuming that Mr. B can’t comment. Hope this gets resolved soon! :wishluck:

No updates as of yet.