• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC comics, for the instant, lost its lustre in his eyes...

34 posts in this topic

Anyone else feeling the same? It used to be that there would be some excitement about killer books for sale, and people posting their grails,etc. Now that type of conversation is (probably rightly so) virtually dead. Lately, the boards also seem rather sedate, and the number of posts must have dropped significantly, as I came on here last night and there was virtually nothing new.

I am far from a CGC acolyte, but my view towards my CGC collection has certainly dropped of late. My last CGC purchase did not even register - I took one look at it, and tossed it in the box... On the other hand, I got a few choice raw books in, and I was stoked top open the packages, so my collecting bug is still in high gear.

I do not think this has anything to do with Ewert, pressing or other CGC scandals for me personally, and I think the fad finally wore off and I have absolutely no inner need to amass more plastic slabs. confused-smiley-013.gif

My interest peaked awhile back, long before Ewert. I'm enjoying sprucing up the raw collection too much to spend the premium on slabbed books. The occasional slabbed pedigreed copy of something will probably be all I buy myself for a good year at least.

Anyone else feeling the same? It used to be that there would be some excitement about killer books posted, and people posting their grails,etc. Lately, the boards also seem rather sedate, and the number of posts must have dropped significantly, as I come on here last night and there was virtually nothing new.

I am far from a CGC acolyte, but my view towards my CGC collection has certainly dropped of late. My last CGC purchase did not even register - I took one look at it, and tossed it in the box... On the other hand, I got a few choice raw books in, and I was stoked top open the packages, so my collecting bug is still in high gear.

I do not think this has anything to do with Ewert, pressing or other CGC scandals for me personally, and I think the fad finally wore off and I have absolutely no inner need to amass more plastic slabs. confused-smiley-013.gif

The recent developments certainly haven't made it an optimistic pursuit.

However, my sights are on other developements these days, mostly on a familial, business and social scale. So my interests in buying books has dropped somewhat, and definitely in comparison to what it used to be a year or two ago.

But I still find myself salivating whenever a nice HG underground comic pops-up, and can say that I'm even more excited when its slabbed to cut out the doubt of overgrading. This last point is especially true as UG collectors feel that UG's need to be graded more leniantly than mainstream books because of production/rarity factors.

I've never really purchased all that many CGC books during my collecting years. I've enjoyed purchasing raw more so than slabbed: I can read the books. I'm afraid I missed that fad.

But I am skeptical of CGC at this point, with missing restoration and possible in house pressing(which would be a conflict of intrest IMHO).

If I were a high-grade, slab-chaser, 9.4 and above, I would certainly be upset with the current situation.

It is really hard to get excited about a comics, you can not feel or smell. Yes, I said it SMELL!!!! Comics, like old books are one of the most pleasant olphactory experiences you will ever experience. A slabbed book, well it does not have the same appeal. Do I crack a slab? Yep, that I will do. Do I own uncrack slabs? Yep. Can't make myself break my pedigrees out of slab. I try to buy raw when I can.

For the most part the really exciting sales have been from the Rosa collection.

For my own collection I've been buying more 9.0's and 9.2's. My last two slabs were 9.0's Gasp!

More and more I find myself looking for 9.0/9.2's with strong eye appeal.

I've never been big on the slabbing of books.

For the most part, I just don't see the point. (Yes, i understand the sales concept put forth by the slabbing companies.) Maybe if i ever complete a complete JLA or GL run i'd do it to ensure they're safe, but i'm happy with a bagnback.

I'm not a speculator and I only buy what I want to actually read and hopefully like enough to keep, so i've never had the desire to get stuff slabbed for the purpose of flipping.

For the most part the really exciting sales have been from the Rosa collection.

No joke, and I wonder how bad the situation would be without that Rosa OO collection coming to market when it did. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone else feeling the same? It used to be that there would be some excitement about killer books for sale, and people posting their grails,etc. Now that type of conversation is (probably rightly so) virtually dead. Lately, the boards also seem rather sedate, and the number of posts must have dropped significantly, as I came on here last night and there was virtually nothing new.

There could be some truth to your comments but there are many factors:

1) I don't see that many quality books being listed on eBay. While Heritage always has great GA book, they didn't have much (other than the ubiqutious ASM) in SA HG.

2) HG SA collectors like myself are probably getting closer to completing certain collecting goals (i.e. key issues or runs) and therefore don't buy as many books, but might spend more if the right book comes along.

3) I know several of the big time SA collectors are still buying books, but aren't chiming in as much as all the talk is negative.

4) Regarding getting excited about raw books, that is almost always the case. When you buy CGC books, you pretty much know what you are getting (which is maybe a little debatable at the moment). If it's raw, you're not sure, so if you do get what you expected (i.e. an accurately graded book), there's additional pleasure in getting the book.

I'm still buying...

4) Regarding getting excited about raw books, that is almost always the case. When you buy CGC books, you pretty much know what you are getting (which is maybe a little debatable at the moment). If it's raw, you're not sure, so if you do get what you expected (i.e. an accurately graded book), there's additional pleasure in getting the book.

I'm still buying...

There's still some real problems with raw grading out there. I've returned almost half of my last dozen books because of one problem or another.

I'm still buying...

There's still some real problems with raw grading out there. I've returned almost half of my last dozen books because of one problem or another.

Believe me. The problem is much worse with buying raw undergrounds... frustrated.gif

I've never really purchased all that many CGC books during my collecting years. I've enjoyed purchasing raw more so than slabbed: I can read the books. I'm afraid I missed that fad.

But I am skeptical of CGC at this point, with missing restoration and possible in house pressing(which would be a conflict of intrest IMHO).

If I were a high-grade, slab-chaser, 9.4 and above, I would certainly be upset with the current situation.

i have pretty much the same thoughts/feelings. i have never sent a book in to be slabbed but have bought a few, then sold most, and would like to get rid of the ones i have remaining. glad i never bought into the label chasing fad, and when pressing became 'ok', i knew i was all set with cgc slabs...i like untampered raw comics!

i am certainly happy i have spent little money on cgc graded comic slabs...and feel bad for those that have...being very happy with 8-9.0 range raw comics...and of course the artwork from the comics i love...

Although I slab to sell CGC books, I've never been a big fan of them for my own purposes. Books in slabs just seem out of touch to me. Almost like I don't even own them. Like I am looking at someone else's collection who tells me I can't touch them. Of course you can crack open, but if you have paid any extra value for the book due to it's slab, it seems like a waste. So the few slabs I buy I certainly don't crack. And unless I am buying a high dollar book (for me a 9.0 or less over $300) then I see absolutely no point in buying the slab as you can always find the same book cheaper at a con or especially on Ebay.

Last slabs I received were 2 Top census 30 centers from Fred McSurley and his new guided_by_comics Seller Id cloud9.gif Beautiful copies for which I 'm glad to finally upgrade in my collection. I check FRed's auctions a couple times a week to see if he posted any new variant beauties. The desire is still there for slabbed and raw upgrades. You know I just have other things to spend my money on. I've also started after some fun 70's cartoony marvel titles as well. Fun reads so far and since they are not NM/MT, I'm not paying a ton for a book. Actually getting sweet deals like 5 books for $3 w/shipping is pretty cool smile.gif

My second to last CGC book was an ebay sale from JE: a 9.6 Night Nurse 3 cloud9.gif Absolutely stunning smile.gif

I'm still cruising around in the marketplace. Checking forumites ebay stores and auctions. No one really has anything that I feel I MUST HAVE but I'm a sucker for a decent deal on thing I could be interested in. thumbsup2.gif

Last slabs I received were 2 Top census 30 centers from Fred McSurley and his new guided_by_comics Seller Id cloud9.gif Beautiful copies for which I 'm glad to finally upgrade in my collection. I check FRed's auctions a couple times a week to see if he posted any new variant beauties. The desire is still there for slabbed and raw upgrades. You know I just have other things to spend my money on. I've also started after some fun 70's cartoony marvel titles as well. Fun reads so far and since they are not NM/MT, I'm not paying a ton for a book. Actually getting sweet deals like 5 books for $3 w/shipping is pretty cool smile.gif

My second to last CGC book was an ebay sale from JE: a 9.6 Night Nurse 3 cloud9.gif Absolutely stunning smile.gif

I'm still cruising around in the marketplace. Checking forumites ebay stores and auctions. No one really has anything that I feel I MUST HAVE but I'm a sucker for a decent deal on thing I could be interested in. thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One of the things that has also crossed my mind is that

even if you see a great deal on a nice book - what are the sellers real intensions?

Meaning are they dumping this book out of fear that the comic

could have Ewert's seal of approval? ...

Makes you wonder.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif