• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Question, any input appreciated!

6 posts in this topic

Alright, so this may not be kosher for this group, but it seemed like an easy way to get an answer. I just received two ASMv2 books that were listed as VF-to-NM. All other things being equal, they're perfectly normal, 9.2 or 9.4 books, but they both have some issues that I'm unsure how to grade. The first photo belongs to book one, the latter three photos to book two. On a book that otherwise is a 9.4, how would you grade it with a defect like in pic 1? And likewise for a book with issues seen in pics 2-4?

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9103.jpg

IMG_9104.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

This is just bad and sloppy 'grading' by the seller. Some folk just don't want to learn how to grade since they would have to list comics with an accurate (ie lower,) grade. Overstreet and other price guides list all the faults that are allowed in each grade. Likewise they list what is not allowed in each grade. The top defect for example would not be allowed in VFN but would be allowed in VG so grade is somewhere in between. If the rest of the book is 'perfect' I expect a grade around FN+ might be possible. 

There's a lot more to grading than cover defects though, as you'll become aware when looking through the various chat boards here. The whole book has to be considered, starting at the centrefold with "Are the staples fully/firmly attached?" But you raise a topic that comes up often: An otherwise high grade book with one or more specific defects that drag it down. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

its obviously fine to ask here, BUT for the record, there is a 'please grade my comic' section of the boards, where you can get more feedback. "Hey buddy can you spare a grade" is the name of the subforum.  Read the rules before posting, have a nice day.

also, none of the books shown are 9 or above.

On 12/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, revat said:

its obviously fine to ask here, BUT for the record, there is a 'please grade my comic' section of the boards, where you can get more feedback. "Hey buddy can you spare a grade" is the name of the subforum.  Read the rules before posting, have a nice day.

also, none of the books shown are 9 or above.

+1

Best thing to do is use the spare a grade area. 

Also agree those books aren't in the NM range based on what I can see.