• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer wants me to ship to a different address
1 1

89 posts in this topic

I just had an eBay CS rep call me because you people are annoying me with your misinformation. :wavingwhiteflag:

She reiterated, "Yes, if you have written proof from the buyer to ship the item to a different address we will cover you since it's in writing from the buyer."  She also said if any seller is concerned they can always call us and we access the situation.    

Later.......

On 12/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I understand some of you cant grasp that under eBay "Management Payments" you are covered more now as a seller.

So that brings up an important factor in this discussion: Is the seller enrolled in ebay Managed Payments?

1) Yes- coverage should apply
2) No (shipping is purchased through Paypal or some other service)-  then very likely the old rules of not being covered if you changed the delivery address may apply.

Not every seller is enrolled in the ebay Managed Payment system.  For example, I have two accounts, one is and one isn't.  My experiences with changed addresses have been with the ebay Managed Payment system with no problems.

Edited by GACollectibles
Changed "everyone" to "every seller'

On 12/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, GACollectibles said:

So that brings up an important factor in this discussion: Is the seller enrolled in ebay Managed Payments?

1) Yes- coverage should apply
2) No (shipping is purchased through Paypal or some other service)-  then very likely the old rules of not being covered if you changed the delivery address may apply.

Not everyone is enrolled in the ebay Managed Payment system.  For example, I have two accounts, one is and one isn't.  My experiences with changed addresses have been with the ebay Managed Payment system with no problems.

Yeah thats why I emphasized "Managed Payments," which has been so much better than just having the PayPal account I might add.   

On 12/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, Taylor G said:

It's a violation of Ebay policy to ship to an address different from the buyer's official Ebay address.

As in, you are completely on your own if USPS shows delivered to a different address, and then the buyer demands a refund for undelivered item.

Which BTW is a common scam, which is why Ebay policy doesn't allow it.

The fix is easy.  Cancel the sale, the buyer changes their address, and then they buy it again.

I've asked Ebay, this is what they've told me to do.

If the buyer does not repurchase, then that's confirmed it's a scam.

That reminds me of the nightmare of my fiancé’s package being delivered to the wrong address and the insane hassle of collecting on the insurance. What a ridiculous nightmare. I think my local PO is one of the worst there is. Not that customer service and claims through the website are any better. Took like 3 months to get half what the stated insurance was, which was still 1/3 of what the item was worth. It could have easily resulted in me never getting refunded but throughout my attempts to get some help a manager accused a driver of stealing mail (which turns out to not be what happened to my package at least) which kicked it up to a criminal investigation. The investigator, in minutes, discovered where the package had been delivered to, who delivered it, when, and contacted the resident of the home it had been delivered to. The package still wasn’t recovered but it was more help than I got through usps over the course of months 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:24 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

I can talk to someone on eBay in usually 1-5 minutes.  I click a button and they call me.  That was my exact conversation I had with them over the summer.  I had the same concerns.  They again assured me its covered. 

I am not disagreeing with you I would just like to see it somewhere to know its true.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:23 AM, fastballspecial said:

Are you sure about that? Everything I read tells me I would.

When you have the time read my other post above.  

On 12/13/2021 at 11:25 AM, fastballspecial said:

I am not disagreeing with you I would just like to see it somewhere to know its true.

Yeah I know lol

I mean again if you want to cancel it for your safety you have to do what's best for you and your $.

From what the OP posted it I think its a safe bet the buyer is legit and honest.  I like you am more worried when it comes to electronics.  But If people are concerned just call in and ask like I did.  Under "Managed payments" you are covered from what they have told me now twice. 

On 12/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, lizards2 said:

Waving your panties won't help. :sumo: 

Like so many that work from home these days, he was just showing you that he was reading this with no pants on..  similar to you stomping around in no pants..

63762808.jpg.0a053b2617aa9ec4070484a313b0a712.jpg

Well I just couldn't help myself, so I called eBay at 5:00pm EST and spoke with customer service representative "Jose." I asked what I should do if a buyer asks me to send a package to an address other than the one on their ebay account/the invoice. Jose told me that under no circumstances should I send it to a different address than what is on the buyer's eBay account.  

I told him people on a message board told me that I could simply send it to the new address and that I would be covered because it's in writing and eBay would back me up, especially as I have payments managed by eBay.  He said that was incorrect and that if the delivery address did not match the buyer's ebay address then I would not be eligible for eBay protection.  He told me what eBay recommends sellers do in this case is the following:  1) contact the buyer and ask them to update their ebay address to the correct one; 2) cancel the transaction 3) relist the item 4) have the buyer repurchase using their correct mailing address.  Sounds familiar, right?  

I took it a step further.  I asked him what if the buyer disagreed that this was the eBay policy and said that they just wanted me to ship to the new address and that I would be covered (ie, everything @NewWorldOrder has been saying), and the eBay rep told me do not do it .  He said if the buyer disagrees or doesn't understand the information I have relayed, they can call eBay and ask for themselves.  He said I can give them the reference # for my call just now (SR1411410235618) and verify exactly what I have said here.  He said if they still do not agree, then I should cancel the order and not sell to that person.  

I think this should settle it, but I have a tendency to think too highly of people.  I encourage anyone who is still on the fence on this issue to call eBay and ask for yourself. 

On 12/13/2021 at 5:31 PM, Poekaymon said:

Well I just couldn't help myself, so I called eBay at 5:00pm EST and spoke with customer service representative "Jose." I asked what I should do if a buyer asks me to send a package to an address other than the one on their ebay account/the invoice. Jose told me that under no circumstances should I send it to a different address than what is on the buyer's eBay account.  

I told him people on a message board told me that I could simply send it to the new address and that I would be covered because it's in writing and eBay would back me up, especially as I have payments managed by eBay.  He said that was incorrect and that if the delivery address did not match the buyer's ebay address then I would not be eligible for eBay protection.  He told me what eBay recommends sellers do in this case is the following:  1) contact the buyer and ask them to update their ebay address to the correct one; 2) cancel the transaction 3) relist the item 4) have the buyer repurchase using their correct mailing address.  Sounds familiar, right?  

I took it a step further.  I asked him what if the buyer disagreed that this was the eBay policy and said that they just wanted me to ship to the new address and that I would be covered (ie, everything @NewWorldOrder has been saying), and the eBay rep told me do not do it .  He said if the buyer disagrees or doesn't understand the information I have relayed, they can call eBay and ask for themselves.  He said I can give them the reference # for my call just now (SR1411410235618) and verify exactly what I have said here.  He said if they still do not agree, then I should cancel the order and not sell to that person.  

I think this should settle it, but I have a tendency to think too highly of people.  I encourage anyone who is still on the fence on this issue to call eBay and ask for yourself. 

This post should be reposted just to double down on the importance.  

ill lift a glass to this 

298D58B7-DF21-468E-A8EC-1DAA12BFA2CB.jpeg

On 12/13/2021 at 1:11 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I just had an eBay CS rep call me because you people are annoying me with your misinformation. :wavingwhiteflag:

She reiterated, "Yes, if you have written proof from the buyer to ship the item to a different address we will cover you since it's in writing from the buyer."  She also said if any seller is concerned they can always call us and we access the situation.    

Later.......

And again… that demonstrates how even if what both of you are saying is true and I have every reason to believe you AND @Poekaymonare telling the truth, that eBay is consistently inconsistent and the safer option is always to cancel the sale.

if the errant customer gets in touch with eBay first to complain you may find yourself not arguing a case but trying to reverse one… 

and at my age and position in life and the current laws in place I cannot lead a campaign of harassment and hell upon the scam artists relatives and acquaintances to get my $50 back like you could in 2005. 

On 12/13/2021 at 5:44 PM, Poekaymon said:

I'm sitting here, hungry, spamming posts and calling eBay like some kind of super nerd and you're at the Tap Room.  Pretty unfair.

Whiskey Burger for the win with a Blue Point Winter Ale.  I didn’t feel like cooking tonight.