• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyer wants me to ship to a different address
1 1

89 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2021 at 6:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Seems pretty simple as already stated.  Inform the buyer you’re going to cancel the transaction, and have them buy it again with the updated shipping info.

I’m curious what the easier solution is....:popcorn:

Stop selling on FeeBay, or wait, get things on FreeBay lol

I have Canadians ship their carp to me all the time for reshipping. (shrug)

I am pretty sure my address is not their official shipping address. :shiftyeyes:

On 12/13/2021 at 3:39 AM, Buzzetta said:

A grown adult should know their address and have their account set with it.  An actual paying customer will not mind going through the transaction again to fix their own mistake.  A potential scam artist will. 

And even if they abandon the transaction and go away?  It will sell to someone else.  

I don’t trust customer service enough for me to do anything other than “by the book” in a way that serves my own self interests when it comes to eBay

Thats fine, buts thats your by the book not eBay's stance.  I have been on eBay since the wild Wild West days never lost a $1.00 so far or been scammed.  If you call eBay they will tell you that is their policy, but of course you do what works best for you.

For me however on a $150 item which is not a lot of money change the address and move on your business life. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 12/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, Poekaymon said:

1) Laziness with things like this, shipping to addresses not on the invoice, makes it easier for scammers and is a bad habit to get into.

2. Sellers, especially, should not assume eBay has their back--it can be extremely difficult to even get a competent person on the phone.

3. It is a very small matter to simply redo the transaction properly--the time you're "wasting" is far less than you might have to waste dealing with eBay later to resolve it.

4.  None of 1 2 3 matter since you are covered by eBay with the written verbiage from the eBay buyer.

It's actually pretty tough for anyone to get scammed on eBay where you are out your money.  You have to be a real sucker now a days.  eBay takes most of that risk now for you.  

If the guy asked to change his address to Nigeria sure you got a problem, but a guy who moved recently within the USA (especially if its the same state) on a $150 item you are probably fine.  Again if it's your item then of course you do what works best for you, however for me I would not hesitate since its covered by eBay.  

On 12/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Thats fine, buts thats your by the book not eBay's stance.  I have been on eBay since the wild Wild West days never lost a $1.00 so far or been scammed.  If you call eBay they will tell you that is their policy, but of course you do what works best for you.

For me however on a $150 item which is not a lot of money change the address and move on your business life. 

This could very well be, but I guess the OP will have to decide if 150$ is a low enough amount to rely on Ebay if suspicion rears its ugly head. Its definitely a judgement call. I suppose the majority of people might want to stay on the safe side. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:22 AM, wombat said:

People also have the experience of dealing with complete incompetency when calling ebay for help. It might take you hours dealing with this on the phone with them if it turns bad. It takes a minute to tell them to fix their address and relist. 

I can talk to someone on eBay in usually 1-5 minutes.  I click a button and they call me.  That was my exact conversation I had with them over the summer.  I had the same concerns.  They again assured me its covered. 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:55 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

Not entirely... 

You are forgetting a couple of things.

• eBay has never been consistent as customer service has repeatedly demonstrated over the years and even through managed payments that what one customer service rep says is not always what another one will do, will have done, or will abide by.
  • eBay does not automatically check anything in messages unless you request it. 

This means that while everything you have said is technically true, that all it takes is for a "customer" to call eBay first and for eBay to instantly decide in their favor.   Getting someone to overturn an already settled eBay case is quite a challenge. 

So my advice... be proactive.   Cancel, avoid a potential problem.  Re-do it the right way. 

On 12/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, fastballspecial said:

$10 book no big deal. 

Last week buyer wanted me to send a $700 computer to different address. 
I said no and said to change his ebay address. He refused so I cancelled the transaction
and still got neutral for it and like 6 emails over it. Eventually all get it removed.

I tried to explain to him I lose seller protection if I did that. Buyer didn't care so I 
didn't care when I cancelled the transaction.

You dont lose seller protection, however on computer equipment worth $700 I understand why you did what you did.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, Buzzetta said:

Not entirely... 

You are forgetting a couple of things.

• eBay has never been consistent as customer service has repeatedly demonstrated over the years and even through managed payments that what one customer service rep says is not always what another one will do, will have done, or will abide by.
  • eBay does not automatically check anything in messages unless you request it. 

This means that while everything you have said is technically true, that all it takes is for a "customer" to call eBay first and for eBay to instantly decide in their favor.   Getting someone to overturn an already settled eBay case is quite a challenge. 

So my advice... be proactive.   Cancel, avoid a potential problem.  Re-do it the right way. 

I hear yeah, but again if the scammer can hack into your eBay account they can also change the address the right way.

I usually have about 1500-2000 transitions per year now on eBay.  So far zero dollars lost besides having to pay some return postage for bogus returns.  I would say I have had to call eBay on customers problems 10 times since covid and I am 10 for 10 with them siding with me.  (shrug)

On 12/13/2021 at 12:31 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I hear yeah, but again if the scammer can hack into your eBay account they can also change the address the right way.

I usually have about 1500-2000 transitions per year now on eBay.  So far zero dollars lost besides having to pay some return postage for bogus returns.  I would say I have had to call eBay on customers problems 10 times since covid and I am 10 for 10 with them siding with me.  (shrug)

Same here - in proportion by 1/3.  So maybe we are both right. 

On 12/13/2021 at 9:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

Same here - in proportion by 1/3.  So maybe we are both right. 

I mean I understand some people not wanting the headache, but I hav been on eBay since 1999 (you know when the real scamming happened lol), and I have never mailed something to anyone where where I was dealing with a hacked account.  So that is thousands of transactions I have done since 1999.

Back then it was the sellers who would scam the buyers.  You send a money order and never get your item. :eek:

I remember people sending me cash!  Now that was great cause I was in college back then so that made one less trip to the bank and I could just give the $ right to the upper class-man to get me my Voka in the plastic bottle! 

On 12/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

but I hav been on eBay since 1999

Newb.  June 1997 here, coming up on 25 years! :ohnoez:

I typically send 1500-2000 packages a year through ebay with minimal issues.  Sometimes it takes a little effort as a seller to address issues that arise, but that's part of selling.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, GACollectibles said:

Newb.  June 1997 here, coming up on 25 years! :ohnoez:

I typically send 1500-2000 packages a year through ebay with minimal issues.  Sometimes it takes a little effort as a seller to address issues that arise, but that's part of selling.

:news:

Spoiler

I miss you :cheers:

On 12/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, Taylor G said:

It's a violation of Ebay policy to ship to an address different from the buyer's official Ebay address.

As in, you are completely on your own if USPS shows delivered to a different address, and then the buyer demands a refund for undelivered item.

Which BTW is a common scam, which is why Ebay policy doesn't allow it.

The fix is easy.  Cancel the sale, the buyer changes their address, and then they buy it again.

I've asked Ebay, this is what they've told me to do.

If the buyer does not repurchase, then that's confirmed it's a scam.

More bad information.  

When did you last ask them 2006? 

I understand some of you cant grasp that under eBay "Management Payments" you are covered more now as a seller.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

There seems to be almost zero upside in going with any option other than cancelling and having them change their address. Sure it might work out. Sure ebay might side with you. Sure it might only take a 3 minute call with ebay to get it settled. But then again it might not. Versus the few minutes it would take to go with option 1.