• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Character(s) Created 1990-Present?
1 1

92 posts in this topic

On 12/13/2021 at 3:05 PM, Readcomix said:

Ok, I went with Preacher because I took “best” to mean best read. But if we mean most successful I guess the bucket is Spawn, Harley, Deadpool. But inevitably it will be Miles, per the Disney machine.

Bonus thought — “Black Monday Murders” may be the best post-1990 read almost no one ever noticed. 8 issues before an abrupt stop, but it’s a good read if you can track it down.

"Best" could mean a lot of things, but I suppose that my intentions for the thread were, "most successful". There are a lot of good reads since 1990, IMO. I haven't read Preacher yet.

I'd put Miles Morales currently in Group B; Characters who are high on the radar but still not quite in the top class.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:19 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Is Miles Morales a character though? 
A costume filler?

Don't believe he is a costume filler.
Academy Award winning movie.
Videogame.
I'd argue that the representation that presents / brings to the world is way bigger than comics.
Even in the new Disney+ Spidey animated show (for young children) they make a point in the first episode to establish that Peter and Miles are both equal Spider-Man.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:05 PM, Terry JSA said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t say he’s filler at all. He’s become a more mainstream character due to Into the Spider-Verse and him having his own game. He isn’t overshadowed by Peter Parker anymore, so I can confidently say he’s his own Spider-Man. 

@Troy Division We can probably say Ben Reilly is one too? Spider-Gwen, ASM 2099 :pullhair:

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

On 12/14/2021 at 8:10 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

@Troy Division We can probably say Ben Reilly is one too? Spider-Gwen, ASM 2099 :pullhair:

They each have their merits.
Only issue with Spider-Gwen is that there a bit of a branding problem since they can't commit across Disney / Sony lines (toys, games, comics, movies...) what name to call her.
(Spider-Gwen / Gwen / Ghost Spider)
I was simply replying Miles isn't costume filler.
Honestly, I dismissed Miles until I saw the movie and witnessed young children (of all colors) embracing him.
That's when I finally bought my UF #4...because of the rule of 25...

This list is based off characters (that debuted in comic books) and are part of my personal collection.
In alphabetical order:
Deadpool
Marko, Alana, Hazel
The Maxx
Miles Morales
Rick Grimes
Scott Pilgrim

Edited by Troy Division
removed Harley as she debuted in BTAS