• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Price Guide in hand

200 posts in this topic

And darnit...why does the price guide have to be inaccurate and force me to do that kind of work!?!?

Can it be that Overstreet are just holding back this kind of info for their forthcoming regular publication?

It may just be that prices are so volatile right now that an annual guide just cannot hope to keep pace with them.

Yea, I guess you're right...only a decade or two of having to pay multiples of Overstreet NM to dealers who could grade worth a hoot--or only 3 years of paying multiples of Overstreet NM for CGC books from dealers/collectors who can't--that is a rather short amout of time to get the prices tuned up isn't it. ooo.gif

"Sounds like a lot of work...how many titles/issues do you do that for?"

It is alot of work, but then again, I like spending time with my comic hobby. I have done it for a few hundred issues. It's not so bad. Most of it is copy/paste, as many issues in a run have the same OS value. In my Batman's, I've done 100-200, and am adding all the time. I also like the idea of just taking my palm pilot to conventions or shops, instead of lugging my guide with me. I haven't entered too many eBay sales, as they takes longer. If I see one end that I was interested in, I'll input it.

Rob,

No guide here till payday at the months end...

If you would....

My Greatest Adventure 1, 4, 5 raw 9.0

Tales of the Unexpected 5 raw 8.0

Tracy Monthly 2 raw 7.5

Yo James, sarcasm doesn't suit you. tongue.gif

I don't think we will EVER see Overstreet tune up the NM values for what books really sell for. Certainly not in one hit, as such doubling or tripling of NM prices could actually have a NEGATIVE effect on the whole price struture. The shock waves of such huge price rises (as perceived by the those not 'in the know') could send many collectors running for the hills and prevent new ones from entering the hobby.

Glad to hear you like the Victorian/Platium articles. This just shows how much history we have in comics. If you like these articles be sure to read about the history of our hobby on Scoop

I set up a database in my Palm Pilot where I list key issues I'm looking for.

I don;t have a PDA but been thinking of getting one for using at conventions, flea markets, shops etc. Your database - is it a built-in Palm applicaiton, thrid-party software, etc? Also - is it capable of importing/exporting data and, is so, do you know what formats? Thanks!

I don;t have a PDA but been thinking of getting one for using at conventions, flea markets, shops etc

Sounds like a good idea. The Overstreet guide sure is a bulky item to carry around and refer to at shows.

The Overstreet guide sure is a bulky item to carry around and refer to at shows.

Well I walwys carry the guide cause at a show etc always carry a knapsack os some such to put my purchases in! But I am not so much interested in referring to the guide as I am any personal data I have collected. For example, would love to have my pre-code horror checklist in a PDA if it will output an Excel compatible file. Thay way I can enter what I buy as I buy it, and just update the master sheet at home. Also good for recording names/addresses/phone numbers of dealers who made a good impression (or even a dealer list of those who made either good or bad impressions. That kind of thing.

Sorry for the plug, but since the discussion turned to portable databases/PDA...

GPAnalysis is working on it. It was covered in this thread...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicsmarket&Number=140151&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=186&fpart=3&vc=1

Here's a quote from George Pantela when asked...

"We are currently working on a PDA version of the analysis. We have one of the gurus of Microsoft .Net programming working for us (he actually wrote some of the white papers on new web technologies coming out of .Net) and we are scoping the requirements.

Our product will shortly be opened up as a "web service", meaning that it will allow for all types of appliances to interogate our databases."

In short, in the near future, my understanding is that GPAnalysis data will be at the fingertips of those that want it. I may be doing some testing soon.

in the OS guide? or GPA?

Here's GPA CGC sales from 6.0 to 9.2

Superboy (1949-1979) No.1

...................Grade Copies Average Change High/Low Alternate

Publisher Print Year Vol Last Sold

- (9.2) - $13,800.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Dec 2002

- (9.0) - $12,075.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Jul 2002

- (8.0) - $6,325.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Oct 2002

- (7.5) - $3,335.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Jan 2003

- SP (7.5) - $1,495.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Jul 2002

- EP (7.5) - $14,950.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Aug 2002

- (7.0) - $2,472.50 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Jul 2002

- (6.5) - $2,070.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Sep 2002

- (6.0) - $3,565.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Jul 2002

Superboy (1949-1979) No.2

...................Grade Copies Average Change High/Low Alternate Publisher Print Year Vol Last Sold

- (8.0) - $1,207.50 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Jul 2002

- SA (6.5) - $264.50 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1949 1 Oct 2002

Our product will shortly be opened up as a "web service", meaning that it will allow for all types of appliances to interogate our databases."
Only the programmers are gonna see the benefits of the web service, but this feature has some latent potential to launch GPA into true legitimacy if it gets leveraged by the right people in the right ways.

Just a general observation from looking at the dealer's 'buy' ads. When dealers mentioned cutoff years for what they were interested in buying, it used to be 1975. Each year I see a few more who are raising that cutoff to 1979. Late 70s books, good long term investment, you read it here first! grin.gif

(Unmitigated commercial plug for PDA users. If you have one of the Windows CE devices with Excel - and maybe the Palm, I'm not sure, I don't have one of those - the price guide .xls file from thecomicsheet.com will fit on your PDA. I use it on my HP Jornada to carry around a portable CGC price guide. While I can fit the whole file on my device, I usually cut out the titles I'm not interested in to cut down the file size.) smile.gif