• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Price Guide in hand

200 posts in this topic

Albedo 2

2002 $14

2003 $16

Yeah, it's prices like this that make me question whether the guide has any value at all. The guide really is nothing more fantasy!! I wonder how many market reports are even taken into account. On this particular book, Overstreet's own advisors document a NM copy selling for $1200, or 85x guide. Uh, maybe it's time to raise the guide confused.gif

Which brings back James' point - can you imagine not knowing much about comics and selling a dealer a NM copy for $8 (50% "retail")??? Bend over and grab your ankles! The guide prices are sometimes more of a disservice than a service.

Albedo 2

2002 $14

2003 $16

Daredevil 81

2002 $28

2003 $32

Hey Darth, honestly, what do Overstreet advisors do? And does Bob Overstreet actually listen to them?? A NM copy of Albedo #2 sold last year for over $500, and Bronty's FN copy brought about $300 a month ago. And it's listed for $16???

And a NM copy of Daredevil #81 sold for about $200 recently, and I bought a 9.6 copy for over $300. And it's listed for $32???

WTF confused.gif

Why don't you guys stop whining! You are probably profiting by it the most by buying from unsuspecting original collectors and flipping to others. mad.gif

Oh....you give a [!@#%^&^] about the guide value! How else are you able to justify selling your POS books for [!@#%^&^] rape prices! tongue.gif

I think something many people aren't looking at when complaining about the high grade prices in OS is that OS is not using the CGC scale. Most people (dealers and collectors alike) have felt from the beginning that CGC is almost too strict in the higher grades. What most collectors have been calling NM for years is actually CGC 8.5-9.0. Sure, there are some dealers like Showcase NE that have always held a scale close to CGC, but they are the exception. If you go to the typical comic shop right now and pick up a Hulk 181, it probably won't even have a grade listed on it. It will be in the 9.0 range and the dealer will call it a NM. The people on this board (and there are less of them than you might think) make up a tiny minority. We have learned the CGC scale, and follow it (even though there really is no detailed structure to it). But most people still go by the old standards where "just a couple of dings" means a book is NM. And in those shops, with those grades, the prices in OS are reasonably accurate from what I have seen. The super high end market is a tiny little niche, and there is currently no guide for them other than to follow current sales themselves.

I blame Mr. Modern Overstreet Advisor, Darth. Like so many others, he's mis-advising on Albedo prices so he can stack up a bunch of copies. Once he's built his hoard, he'll advise the Guide correctly. shocked.gifshocked.gifblush.gifcool.giftongue.gif

But starting with the new Overstreet Grading Guide and this price guide, the CGC and Overstreet scales are supposed to be closer together than ever. So that really SHOULDN'T be a factor, but I agree with you that it almost certainly is. The Guide is getting bad sales data on overgraded books touted as NM that really aren't.

If someone doesn't mind, what are the guide prices for:

Amazing Detective Cases #13 in VG and FN

Blue Bolt Weird Tales #115 in FN

Daredevil #2 in VF

Hand of Fate #24 in VF

Jumbo Comics #99 in NM

Mister Mystery #18 in VG and FN

Mystery Men Comics #3 in VF/NM 9.0

Out of this World #6 in NM

Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #136 in NM

Swamp Thing #1 in NM

Swamp Thing #5 in NM