• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice On Missing Parcel-International From BBTS?

15 posts in this topic

Hopefully this is okay here, because while it wasn't comics, it was mostly comics related memorabilia, comics action figures and such. It's also from a really reputable toy retailer, Bigbadtoystore.com. I've been a regular of theirs for decades now, their customer service is (usually) top notch, and their Pile Of Loot feature allows me to save a lot on shipping, allowing me to mostly avoid the horror that is trying to get the stuff you want in Australia, and at a reasonable, usually comparable or cheaper, price. Back in August it was getting full, and it was time to ship it. No biggie, done this dozens of times. Pay for the shipping, hit the Ship Now button, and wait a few days for the confirmation it's left the warehouse. 

I received said confirmation on the 19th of August, 2021, and everything just seemed normal. All tracking scans stopped on September 6, and it went dead, but that's fine, that can happen for 5 days or so while it's en route to Australia. Only this time, circa this period, there was an announcement that USPS was delaying and outright halting delivery services to Australia for reasons (something to do with COVID). My package was being sent via a company called Ascendia, so I wasn't even sure if I would be affected, I assumed not as I thought my parcel was already well out of the US at this time. 

Turns out nope, it's still there. Never left, it seems. And it's been there ever since. Requests for assistance from BBTS' support team just tell me I need to be patient, and that they have many Aussie customers, all of whom are being patient about it. Sounds a bit sus.

So this has been an ongoing drama since the 19th of August. My question is, when is it reasonable to demand something more? As far as I'm concerned, that package is gone. It's not coming to me. BBTS tell me to wait it out, the package WILL arrive, they just can't give me any more info than that. I'm already well past the point where I think I could make a claim with my card holder if it came down to a worst case scenario, but I'd rather not cut off BBTS completely, not just yet. But I also straight up don't know what to do. I think I've waited long enough, and have been patient beyond reason. 

For reference, here's their last email to me on the subject, when I asked when action could be taken, and this is their reply: "

Nov 22, 3:38pm
Hello Craig,

I understand that this delay is frustrating for you. The difficulty with your package is that it was sent out before the lockdown and was stuck in processing because of that. What we are seeing our customers experiencing is that orders placed after the lockdown are being processed in standard time. This is because couriers are shipping new orders at the same time that they are also trying to chip away at the massive backlog of packages due to closures. It is not surprising to us to hear that recent shipments are making it to you quickly, while items that were shipped as the lockdown hit are still stalled.

The backlog of packages will take some time now that USPS has resumed shipping to your country, as your package is moving through systems that were shuttered. Additionally, every single package is going to take a unique route through courier and customs systems depending on exactly when it was shipped, precisely where it was shipped from, what courier was used, which shipping method from that courier was used, when and which transit points it moved through. I can't speak to the timing for other international shipments. However, I can tell you that the experience you are having with this order is very, very normal for shipments to Australia that were halted during the lockdown.

We have been reviewing hundreds of shipments moving through these systems heading to Australia and due to the number of understandably frustrating factors, this is not unusual. We do need to allow USPS to clear their backlog of shipments before throwing in the towel. Thank you for your patience. "

I should note that I do NOT want a refund. I want the product ordered, some of which has already risen above the price I brought it on the secondary market, like the Storm Collectibles Sektor, making the prospect of replacing the figures lost rather daunting. 

Does anyone have any guidance, wisdom, or ideas for how to proceed here? This package ain't coming at this point, surely that's fair to say. After this long I think it's fair to say USPS have probably sold it off to one of their dealers and sold the contents already. How do I deal with BBTS, considering I don't want to totally burn that bridge, unless it really comes to it? Thank you guys for any insights or advice. 

On 12/15/2021 at 7:14 AM, shadroch said:

Your seller disagrees with your view. They think it is on its way and you need to be patient. Unless you now think a company you have been very happy with is trying to cheat you, I'd wait. 

You certainly aren't the only one dealing with massive delays.  

What would you call a reasonable wait time here, Shad? We're almost dead-on 4 months since it was sent, in what is generally an ABSOLUTE maximum of 2 weeks. This isn't a trick question or anything, I really want to do right by both parties here. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:05 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Hopefully this is okay here, because while it wasn't comics, it was mostly comics related memorabilia, comics action figures and such. It's also from a really reputable toy retailer, Bigbadtoystore.com. I've been a regular of theirs for decades now, their customer service is (usually) top notch, and their Pile Of Loot feature allows me to save a lot on shipping, allowing me to mostly avoid the horror that is trying to get the stuff you want in Australia, and at a reasonable, usually comparable or cheaper, price. Back in August it was getting full, and it was time to ship it. No biggie, done this dozens of times. Pay for the shipping, hit the Ship Now button, and wait a few days for the confirmation it's left the warehouse. 

I received said confirmation on the 19th of August, 2021, and everything just seemed normal. All tracking scans stopped on September 6, and it went dead, but that's fine, that can happen for 5 days or so while it's en route to Australia. Only this time, circa this period, there was an announcement that USPS was delaying and outright halting delivery services to Australia for reasons (something to do with COVID). My package was being sent via a company called Ascendia, so I wasn't even sure if I would be affected, I assumed not as I thought my parcel was already well out of the US at this time. 

Turns out nope, it's still there. Never left, it seems. And it's been there ever since. Requests for assistance from BBTS' support team just tell me I need to be patient, and that they have many Aussie customers, all of whom are being patient about it. Sounds a bit sus.

So this has been an ongoing drama since the 19th of August. My question is, when is it reasonable to demand something more? As far as I'm concerned, that package is gone. It's not coming to me. BBTS tell me to wait it out, the package WILL arrive, they just can't give me any more info than that. I'm already well past the point where I think I could make a claim with my card holder if it came down to a worst case scenario, but I'd rather not cut off BBTS completely, not just yet. But I also straight up don't know what to do. I think I've waited long enough, and have been patient beyond reason. 

For reference, here's their last email to me on the subject, when I asked when action could be taken, and this is their reply: "

Nov 22, 3:38pm
Hello Craig,

I understand that this delay is frustrating for you. The difficulty with your package is that it was sent out before the lockdown and was stuck in processing because of that. What we are seeing our customers experiencing is that orders placed after the lockdown are being processed in standard time. This is because couriers are shipping new orders at the same time that they are also trying to chip away at the massive backlog of packages due to closures. It is not surprising to us to hear that recent shipments are making it to you quickly, while items that were shipped as the lockdown hit are still stalled.

The backlog of packages will take some time now that USPS has resumed shipping to your country, as your package is moving through systems that were shuttered. Additionally, every single package is going to take a unique route through courier and customs systems depending on exactly when it was shipped, precisely where it was shipped from, what courier was used, which shipping method from that courier was used, when and which transit points it moved through. I can't speak to the timing for other international shipments. However, I can tell you that the experience you are having with this order is very, very normal for shipments to Australia that were halted during the lockdown.

We have been reviewing hundreds of shipments moving through these systems heading to Australia and due to the number of understandably frustrating factors, this is not unusual. We do need to allow USPS to clear their backlog of shipments before throwing in the towel. Thank you for your patience. "

I should note that I do NOT want a refund. I want the product ordered, some of which has already risen above the price I brought it on the secondary market, like the Storm Collectibles Sektor, making the prospect of replacing the figures lost rather daunting. 

Does anyone have any guidance, wisdom, or ideas for how to proceed here? This package ain't coming at this point, surely that's fair to say. After this long I think it's fair to say USPS have probably sold it off to one of their dealers and sold the contents already. How do I deal with BBTS, considering I don't want to totally burn that bridge, unless it really comes to it? Thank you guys for any insights or advice. 

My honest opinion, with so much restrictions in place, I would have not ordered anything. Especially going to Australia. Now it is stuck in transit and it's definitely not their fault. 

Maybe tell them to refund you, or charge back with CC? After you receive it, tell them to re-bill you? I don't know (shrug)

On 12/15/2021 at 7:48 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

My honest opinion, with so much restrictions in place, I would have not ordered anything. Especially going to Australia. Now it is stuck in transit and it's definitely not their fault. 

Maybe tell them to refund you, or charge back with CC? After you receive it, tell them to re-bill you? I don't know (shrug)

There were no restrictions in place when ordering, it was all business as usual. This USPS announcement came out of nowhere, weeks after I'd already shipped this package, and like I said, I thought I was in the clear, as their carrier was listed as Ascendia. I had no way of knowing something like this would happen, or I would have cut off my orders completely. This isn't an Australia problem, it's a USPS problem, not enough planes to commit or something. 

They won't refund me at this stage, that's been made VERY clear in my talks with them via email. 

On 12/14/2021 at 2:23 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

What would you call a reasonable wait time here, Shad? We're almost dead-on 4 months since it was sent, in what is generally an ABSOLUTE maximum of 2 weeks. This isn't a trick question or anything, I really want to do right by both parties here. 

A reasonable amount of time to do what? The company won't give a refund so what are your options? The USPS cut off service to your country, so there must be thousands in your shoes.  I just don't see any good options for you. 

On 12/14/2021 at 1:55 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

There were no restrictions in place when ordering, it was all business as usual. This USPS announcement came out of nowhere, weeks after I'd already shipped this package, and like I said, I thought I was in the clear, as their carrier was listed as Ascendia. I had no way of knowing something like this would happen, or I would have cut off my orders completely. This isn't an Australia problem, it's a USPS problem, not enough planes to commit or something. 

They won't refund me at this stage, that's been made VERY clear in my talks with them via email. 

Your call, charge back is the option. Send a polite email to re-bill if there is movement and it is delivered. 

I will note that I successfully received a package from a German shipper in the midst of the COVID logistics lockdowns, some 5 months after it was shipped. So there is still a possibility that your package will arrive someday. You may also be able to contact USPS and have them open an investigation to confirm that the package has not left the United States and that they still know where it is; I'll note that if it was tendered to customs for international transit at some point, then the chances you'll be able to get a direct status update from anyone at the moment are about zero, although it's possible Ascendia could tell you more (I'm not sure; I've never worked with them).

Did you or they take out insurance on the package?

FWIW, I bought some items from MCS that didn't turn up. (The package was tracked to Hong Kong airport then never got any further). MCS said to wait 3 months, they would take it up with the shipper who after another month paid via insurance. So kudos to MCS for great service.

And I would say 4 months is long enough for you to be patient.

Me again - and as someone who has gotten US post in a 4 week timespan very recently - this is totally lost.

Tin foil hat on......they are dragging it out for the 6 month chargeback period to expire.

I get that you want to buy from them again - but you have paid, and the package is toast.

They should be insured, so you do your chargeback asap - viola - both parties made whole.

You via chargeback, and them via postal insurance.

18 weeks from USA = lost

Best of luck (thumbsu

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm still none the wiser on where I stand. Going through BBTS' emails on this, I see that they ask you keep their emails confidential, so whoops on that one. In another email they blame Australia Customs, saying that's where its stuck. Problem is, that would mean it had left the US and arrived in Australia, and the tracking does not reflect that, nor does earlier communications, nor the news stories about the situation, which all squarely place the blame at USPS' feet. There also is not some mass delay at Australian Customs, as besides this one parcel I've received other parcels on normal time frames, and my sister has received a LOT more (she orders quite a lot for her business, and she hasn't had a single problem, or even a whiff of delay).

If Customs here was bogged down, we'd know about it as all these would also be delayed. It clearly is as BBTS and the news sites reported, that USPS were held up with not enough flights to deliver the amount of mail to Australia, and it caught them out. My parcel never left the country. 

I am of the understanding that insurance is a part of the shipping cost I pay for, as it's not an option you can select at the checkout, @Albert Thurgood. I don't think I'll be able to use that if the company doesn't even consider anything unusual about my package. After all, mine's just like there other Aussie customers, whom there's supposedly a lot of (I'd love to hear from any of said customers). 

I feel helpless, and I don't think there's a solution to that that gets me my product in the near future. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

There is a possibility in is stuck in Customs. I had a shipment recently that I thought was lost. Tracking info was lost by USPS. It turns out that it was in Customs but they did not bother to send out a snail mail notice for a month! Still, that was under the 3 month grace period.

Ask them what evidence they actually have that it is in Customs. I think Customs would hold it only if the declared value was over $1k - easy enough to clear that now the A$ is tanking again.

Hold fire would be my advice. I had a parcel with $2k of books in it go dark - tracking showed it into Australian customs and then... nothing. I'd written it off and it turned up about 70 days later. It had been identified as suspicious in customs and sent for quarantine inspection. It had been opened, and there was an AQIS inspection slip inside but everything was fine. And that was all before covid and the explosion in mail order volumes. So I'd say your parcel could be in any number of places ... waiting to ship out of the US, in Australian customs, in quarantine (like mine was)... be patient, grasshopper. :peace:

Right, time to hit them with some nuclear level patience. Thanks for the advice, everyone who chimed in. I'll follow consensus and wait some more. 

Well, we hit month 5 over the holidays, and even BBTS has had enough. They've issued me a full refund, albeit as store credit (not what I've have preferred, but it's better than nothing) and I still need to double check to ensure they refunded me the shipping, too. I just couldn't be bothered getting involved in it all tonight when I'm already in bed. Of course if the package does arrive, they asked me to reject it for return to them, which of course goes without saying. I doubt that scenario will happen, but hey, stranger things and all that. 

The bad news is not everything is still in stock, as I already knew and they've informed me again, so I'm bitterly disappointed to have lost out on some neat items, but it is what it is. I'll replace what I can, and what I can't I'll see how badly I want it off the aftermarket. 

Once again, thanks for everyone's assistance in guiding me on how to handle it. While I have at times been cursing BBTS' name, I do understand they've done nothing wrong, and I hope this doesn't impair our long and fruitful business relationship. They've treated me very well over the years.