• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Batman: The Killing Joke
4 4

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, looking for an estimate on the grade of this copy. I am worried that opening this kind of graphic novel-type book to show the inner pages will possibly affect the condition/grade, am I wrong? Seems like the natural crease might bend or crease more if I do so. Thanks everybody! 

0EEB30A2-5873-4243-B686-AD357C8482C3.jpeg

FBE91134-A431-455A-9939-BE6130B3DAD0.jpeg

72B0C8A0-5110-4CF8-8142-8D4C9BEB9607.jpeg

EE1BE319-AD96-4F79-85ED-D0655F3F3083.jpeg

08137609-5532-4DAE-9397-44F6C5C8A06D.jpeg

D6D6DF70-02A2-4F03-BD7F-A2FA2FCD6460.jpeg

F4F8A48A-452D-441B-A147-D210DAF56EEF.jpeg

E705DA5A-6D8E-4B6E-9882-15E3D869B3B3.jpeg

ACE3991D-163A-4E1B-9C10-22E0F689BA5B.jpeg

C8263B89-B100-4495-91BA-33984D9DA66E.jpeg

Furthermore as an afterthought, I have no idea about the grading process of these prestige format books. What happens if the grader opens the book to count pages and that white line suddenly becomes well defined and you get it back as a 9.2 or 9.4 when you know damned well the cover didn't look like that when you sent it in?

Now you feel they FUBAR'ed your book, are inconsolable and open a "dialogue" with CGC with before and after pictures and they tell you to pound sand down a rat hole and offer you a coupon for a free order of fries at McDonald's as restitution.

My own opinion? In this current CGC climate, no way I would send in books to be graded. Secondly, if I WERE to, absolutely NO way I would send in books with either black covers or these prestige format books. Not with the way they open. But that's just me. Again, I have no real idea how they handle the page counting thing or checking the bindery on these things. I have seen a lot of graded examples where they got a 9.8 and were flawless but have also seen a lot that had higher grades but still had that solid white color loss line at the opener line.

There's a thread here about that Action #1 reprint that got a 9.8 but has a noticeable, non color breaking bend in the cover that was there when the client sent it. 9.8 is nice, but try selling it as a 9.8.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:06 AM, Randall Ries said:

Furthermore as an afterthought, I have no idea about the grading process of these prestige format books. What happens if the grader opens the book to count pages and that white line suddenly becomes well defined and you get it back as a 9.2 or 9.4 when you know damned well the cover didn't look like that when you sent it in?

Now you feel they FUBAR'ed your book, are inconsolable and open a "dialogue" with CGC with before and after pictures and they tell you to pound sand down a rat hole and offer you a coupon for a free order of fries at McDonald's as restitution.

My own opinion? In this current CGC climate, no way I would send in books to be graded. Secondly, if I WERE to, absolutely NO way I would send in books with either black covers or these prestige format books. Not with the way they open. But that's just me. Again, I have no real idea how they handle the page counting thing or checking the bindery on these things. I have seen a lot of graded examples where they got a 9.8 and were flawless but have also seen a lot that had higher grades but still had that solid white color loss line at the opener line.

There's a thread here about that Action #1 reprint that got a 9.8 but has a noticeable, non color breaking bend in the cover that was there when the client sent it. 9.8 is nice, but try selling it as a 9.8.

Yeah I’ve never owned a prestige format book like this of any value before, it looks really nice in a Mylar, I may never send it in. Dealer advertised it as a 9.9 lol which I obviously took with the largest grain of salt. A 9.4 or better result would be fine for the amount I paid. Thanks for the input! 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:02 AM, I’m Rick Jones person_without_enough_empathy said:

Yeah I’ve never owned a prestige format book like this of any value before, it looks really nice in a Mylar, I may never send it in. Dealer advertised it as a 9.9 lol which I obviously took with the largest grain of salt. A 9.4 or better result would be fine for the amount I paid. Thanks for the input! 

Definitely not a 9.9